Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2018 11:28:01 AM EDT
I will have to take a vacation day from work, but I will.  That is the day before the next Texas legislative session starts.

Yesterday was fun.  The turn out was a crowd but there could have been more.  I estimate 300 showed.  Who wants to try to get this kick started for 2019.

You actually plan ahead, already have the fleas picked off your dogs ass, a vacation day scheduled, no company coming over to entertain, mow the yard a day early?

Not saying every reason I heard was lame, but I literally asked EVERY gun owner I knew to come yesterday.  I originally had 2 takers.  About 3 days prior one of the guys dropped out because his wife had company coming over.  FOR REAL??

So lets plan now?  I will try to touch base with some of the organizations who showed up yesterday, they may already be scheduled.  Need to see what is required to meet there, anything, nothing?  I do not know, I am new to all this rally stuff.

Didn't happen.  Some of you may hate me but I am now trying to work with CJ Grisham at an ARMS LENGTH.

Like it or not he is the only one really willing to work for this.  BOTTOM LINE, do we make a large showing to our state lawmakers to gain their attention for the 2nd amendment or not.

If you are out because of a name.....SO BE IT.  I am still trying.

I FEEL LIKE I HAVE LET Y'ALL DOWN SO FAR.  Nobody was knocking down my door to help a noob plan this stuff.  Gonna check out a different route.

I hope you will pay attention, at a distance if need be, to achieve common goals.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL on the dog's fleas.

I should be in, unless I have to wash my hair.

Like the advance planning. Just put it on my calendar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m in!
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
@DonofKalifornia
@Gloftoe
@TKLOL
@Charliedontsurf
@1fromtx
@villageidiot
@bishop3
@biggerhammer
@rbread
@FP2000H
@bollox
@HAMOCK
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I will be there even if I didn't have vacation time! For freedom I'm always will to give up some money and time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hah, that far exceeds the limitations of my time machine. Assuming I'm still alive and kicking I'll put it on my calendar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw something in another post in GD.  FYI, I made this thread without forward thinking.  I didn't need it.  It sounded like a good idea.  There is almost 3/4 of a year to plan it.  But getting back to my point....

I am not a fringe nutjob(something that I saw in another thread).  Nor do I don't belong to any particular group.  Not because I don't want to or have something against them, because I never thought about.  My group, so far is the NRA.  I don't judge your group.  If you are 2nd amendment friendly then hopefully this rally will be for you.  AND A BIG FYI, belonging to a group that doesn't dress or talk like you does not make them a fringe nutjob, it makes them human.

I am an ordinary guy, almost Ward Cleaver.  The only thing that stands out about me, that I perceive, is I am LOUD, naturally loud.  I have never had to try to yell, it just flows.  Beyond that, I do not have a ZZ Top beard, I am not a toker, I am not a militia guy, I don't strap rifles to my back for rally's.  And I don't judge, or I try like hell not to.  YOU DO YOU, I will do me, the 2nd Amendment is for all of us.  Well until they make it not for all of us....

It takes all kinds to forward our cause.  Lot's of people in militia garb, ZZ Top beards, open carriers, etc are really super nice people.

So Ward Cleaver, get off your ass.  Insurance salemen, car dealers, doctors, nurses, FIREMEN, COPS, lawyers, factory workers, farmers, everybody, quit with any judgement.  Quit with "meh if they are gonna be there I will stay home" nonsense.

Deal with it.  If you knew me you would know how hard that is for me to say.  I like plain.  I like private.  I like routine.  I don't like out of my comfort zone.  Well too bad.

This is a cause we all have in common.  Come and support it, in the good times.  Let those who would make it hard on your rights know you won't tolerate it.  If you won't support the 2A because a certain group would be somewhere, then YOU WILL TOLERATE IT.  If this cause is not more important than your comfort zone, maybe you should check yourself?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll plan for it.

My wife and got there early.

We toured the capital and walked the ground for a while.

I'm was a little stand offish at first .
I wanted to gauge the crowd and see if any plate carries showed.
I was glad not to personally see one.

I actually waited to long to go into the group . The speeches started right after I walked up and I didn't want to distract from the speakers.

I looked for Lug1's sign but didn't see it.
Turns out I wasn't to far away.

I was wearing the blue check shirt, no visible handgun.

Maybe we can have a few meetings and really try to get organized with this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll plan for it.

My wife and got there early.

We toured the capital and walked the ground for a while.

I'm was a little stand offish at first .
I wanted to gauge the crowd and see if any plate carries showed.
I was glad not to personally see one.

I actually waited to long to go into the group . The speeches started right after I walked up and I didn't want to distract from the speakers.

I looked for Lug1's sign but didn't see it.
Turns out I wasn't to far away.

I was wearing the blue check shirt, no visible handgun.

Maybe we can have a few meetings and really try to get organized with this.
View Quote
I forget are you in the DFW area?  That is where I am.  Maybe we need to get in on a DFW dinner with the group.

We all can have differences but for a couple hours on a given day we should all be able to tolerate each other for a common goal is my only point.

My sign was Shall Not Be Infringed, hence the chant on the other side of the Capital building.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in San Angelo.

I can travel, probably more people in your area than mine anyway.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I can do my part. I will be also contacting my state reps.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure I will be there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Barring any really unforeseen circumstances, count me in!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Put me on the list.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Whoa, got a thread tack!!!

Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whoa, got a thread tack!!!

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Assuming I'm still above ground at that date, I'm planning on being there...

We really need a REALLY BIG turn out.   If you don't mind me asking, why Jan 8th?  It will be very cold outside then and there at the Capital. (I'm willing to bundle up and be outside)  It might be better to do the gathering WHEN the leg is in session to make the point we are here in the Capital because we care.   (this assumes we can avoid the "Crazy & Uncivil Unpleasantness" that led to panic buttons being installed in offices when some of the InfoWars - Open Carry people went a bit excitable and crowed shouting into some offices freaking out the staff...

Has anyone considered contacting T.S.R.A. or N.R.A. to see if they can help get the word out and attendance up?  I will say that our enemies are tight with their message and organization and we need to be better than them to win!

Speaking of which, those Tide Pod eating Kooky Kids are having another official School Walk Outs out this Friday 4-20 to rally against "Gun Violence" and I'm sorry to say, I saw more kids screaming and hollering at one high school than I did with the Progun group from ALL over the state this past rally...

We need to get the numbers to make the point that we are a VOTING force to be respected and our rights maintained.

If history of late gives any lessons, it is that so called "Republican Politicians" will fold and sell us out if they think it is to their political career advantage...  (Vermont & Florida!)

If we go, we need to go BIG and LOUD to make the point that We are a somewhat SILENT Majority.  We need to be seen and for the Politicians to SEE us as responsible voters who will influeance our friends and families to show up on every election day on our issues...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Put me on the list.
View Quote
I'm certain "The Powers That Be" have us all on "The List"...

Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Just for fun, today in history...  hopefully it doesn't derail the intent of this thread.  We are in the midst of the most important days ever for this country.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/On-April-18th-1775--/5-2102593/
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#21]
@Lug1
I need help.
I'm talking to a state Rep today, Briscoe Cain. I need more info on the 'no rifle' rules on capital grounds (DPS division 7) IIRC .

He asked and said he would address this, "raise heck over it". I will be contacting another state rep Dennis Paul too.

Thanks

ETA: He initially asked if I had anything 'in writing' about this. I also mentioned the issue of no flag poles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Bishop & Lug1  - talk to the Capital Police - State Legislatures about the issue of TXDPS banning flagpoles.

Seriously screwed up when I can't properly wave a US and Texas flag without threat of arrest for a simple 3x5' flag on a wooden pole 4' long.

When The US & Texas Flags are banned from possession by mere "little people" at the Capital, you know democracy is in trouble!
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@Lug1
I need help.
I'm talking to a state Rep today, Briscoe Cain. I need more info on the 'no rifle' rules on capital grounds (DPS division 7) IIRC .

He asked and said he would address this, "raise heck over it". I will be contacting another state rep Dennis Paul too.

Thanks

ETA: He initially asked if I had anything 'in writing' about this. I also mentioned the issue of no flag poles.
View Quote
Yea that is my guess.  DPS, I read it on here.  It might state chapter and verse in the other thread.  I will have to look later.
@Bishop3
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
There were rules posted on the capitol website I think. I'll look and see if I can find them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Flags are fine, it's just the flagpoles they don't want there.

I find that pretty stupid.  I was there with Lug1 and ~300 or so other folks, with easily 85% of them having loaded pistols on their hips.  But I can't carry a flagpole because it's an "...item manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of preparing a person to engage in physical combat..."  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bishop & Lug1  - talk to the Capital Police - State Legislatures about the issue of TXDPS banning flagpoles.

Seriously screwed up when I can't properly wave a US and Texas flag without threat of arrest for a simple 3x5' flag on a wooden pole 4' long.

When The US & Texas Flags are banned from possession by mere "little people" at the Capital, you know democracy is in trouble!

I find that pretty stupid.  I was there with Lug1 and ~300 or so other folks, with easily 85% of them having loaded pistols on their hips.  But I can't carry a flagpole because it's an "...item manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of preparing a person to engage in physical combat..."  
I know, stupid, 'no poles or sticks' but your handguns are able to be carried.

I'm wanting something to corroborate the 'no rifle' (long guns) rule mentioned at the rally. I'm going to forward it to at least 2 state reps. Want to know 'where' that came from sooo we can address it.

I'm staying in the loop this time and want to be more proactive. So staying abreast of any 2A activity.

We have children and grandchildren, they must have the RTKBA.

Ok thanks, anything else?

I'm going to forward the link Gloftoe left for us when I can gather a little more information.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#28]
@Gloftoe has got the right link.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Gloftoe has got the right link.
View Quote
The first bullet is a general statement it seems. So where did we get the 'no rifles' rule?

"Any item manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of preparing a person to engage in physical combat may be prohibited, including but not limited to:

- Firearms and other deadly weapons, except when authorized under License to Carry authority... "

Does this mean handguns only, since there is no license requirement for carrying a rifle?

I'm ok with and prefer concealed, BUT if I chose to carry a rifle. This is my right, and your right.

The point is "... shall not be infringed."

Anyhoo I'm talking to legislators one I'm acquainted with to see what can get done.

I'm glad @Lug1 got the thread tack.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#30]
That's my take on it. That's why the guy carrying the AR pistol was able to get away with it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm speaking with my representative now (Briscoe Cain). His office is going to call DPS for request clarification, I sent the link Gloftoe left for us.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The first bullet is a general statement it seems. So where did we get the 'no rifles' rule?

"Any item manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of preparing a person to engage in physical combat may be prohibited, including but not limited to:

- Firearms and other deadly weapons, except when authorized under License to Carry authority... "

Does this mean handguns only, since there is no license requirement for carrying a rifle?

I'm ok with and prefer concealed, BUT if I chose to carry a rifle. This is my right, and your right.

The point is "... shall not be infringed."

Anyhoo I'm talking to legislators one I'm acquainted with to see what can get done.

I'm glad @Lug1 got the thread tack.
View Quote
I believe Donokalifornia is the person who sought the thread tack and we can thank him and the mods.  Just sayin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to contact Drew Darby.
My local state rep.
Maybe the more inquiries made the better the outcome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm going to contact Drew Darby.
My local state rep.
Maybe the more inquiries made the better the outcome.
View Quote
Yes,  I think so too. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Texas Administrative Code (TAC) is where the reg comes from.

TITLE 37
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 1
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 8
CAPITOL COMPLEX
SUBCHAPTER A
PROTECTION OF STATE BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
RULE §8.7
Prohibited Weapons

(a) Firearms, explosive weapons, illegal knives, clubs, and knuckles, as defined in the Texas Penal Code, §46.01, and prohibited weapons as defined in the Texas Penal Code, §46.06, are not permitted in state buildings or on state grounds covered under this subchapter, except in the possession of:
 (1) a licensed peace officer;
 (2) as to a handgun or nightstick, a properly licensed private security officer while working under an approved department contract and the contract authorizes the use of an armed guard; or
 (3) a person who is licensed to carry a handgun, under Texas Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, provided that such a person may only carry a handgun in a place and under circumstances where not otherwise prohibited by law.
(b) Violations of laws relating to weapons will be prosecuted under the applicable statute. Violations of this section which are not otherwise a violation of a particular statute, will be prosecuted under Texas Government Code, §411.065.

After asking about this recieved info via email today from Peaceable Texans For Firearm Rights, Paul Velte, Gary Slider.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Texas Administrative Code (TAC) is where the reg comes from.

TITLE 37
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 1
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 8
CAPITOL COMPLEX
SUBCHAPTER A
PROTECTION OF STATE BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
RULE 8.7
Prohibited Weapons

(a) Firearms, explosive weapons, illegal knives, clubs, and knuckles, as defined in the Texas Penal Code, 46.01, and prohibited weapons as defined in the Texas Penal Code, 46.06, are not permitted in state buildings or on state grounds covered under this subchapter, except in the possession of:
 (1) a licensed peace officer;
 (2) as to a handgun or nightstick, a properly licensed private security officer while working under an approved department contract and the contract authorizes the use of an armed guard; or
 (3) a person who is licensed to carry a handgun, under Texas Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, provided that such a person may only carry a handgun in a place and under circumstances where not otherwise prohibited by law.
(b) Violations of laws relating to weapons will be prosecuted under the applicable statute. Violations of this section which are not otherwise a violation of a particular statute, will be prosecuted under Texas Government Code, 411.065.

After asking about this recieved info via email today from Peaceable Texans For Firearm Rights, Paul Velte, Gary Slider.
View Quote
So if you have a handgun license you can carry a flagpole?

I got that email today wondered if I'm reading it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So if you have a handgun license you can carry a flagpole?

I got that email today wondered if I'm reading it wrong.
View Quote
Reading RULE 8.7
Prohibited Weapons
(a)(3) a person who is licensed to carry a handgun, under Texas Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, provided that such a person may only carry a handgun in a place and under circumstances where not otherwise prohibited by law.

I can't make out where flag poles are indicated a prohibited weapon, but it seems here there is an exclusion for rifles. Maybe the rep will come through with the request for clarification.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#39]
We aren't done here.  Busy last couple weeks.  Going to start calling state elected officials after NRAAM.

Just saying this isn't clap and stomp and fade away.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll put that date in my calendar and hope to make it, I'm definitely looking to get much more active politically.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll put that date in my calendar and hope to make it, I'm definitely looking to get much more active politically.
View Quote
It's looking like we're going to need to be.

I'll put it in my calendar, OP.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll schedule vacation time for it as soon as I come back from vacation

unlikely I'll be living in Austin again by then but possible.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I am late to the party. Been a tough year but things are getting back to normal now.

I'd like to be there and will plan on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am late to the party. Been a tough year but things are getting back to normal now.

I'd like to be there and will plan on it.
View Quote
I have had a lot of things happening in my personal life also.

I have not given this thread the respect it has needed so far.

Getting back on track.  Going to be calling some Reps.  Getting a plan.

Anybody do flyer magic?  Can somebody come up with something to post on facebook and other forums and email?  Something we can alter we get some more info from state politicians or gun advocates who might attend and speak?

I have previously emailed a lot of these people who have never gotten back with me.  That is my fault because I have not pursued it yet.  Pursuit will start today.

@DonofKalifornia @Gloftoe
@TKLOL
@Charliedontsurf
@1fromtx
@villageidiot
@bishop3
@biggerhammer
@rbread
@FP2000H
@bollox
@HAMOCK
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag - for updates!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I assume plan is to meet up and then go visit our individual reps offices and ask them to support pro gun legislation?

Might be helpful if we coordinated who lived where and plan on meeting up with other constituents from our area to visit offices.

5 people willing to travel to Austin and express support to a congress critter in person usually means more than 100 phone calls or 300 people rallying outside.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#47]
My personal thought is the agenda should be
1. Have the house install a REAL 2A friendly speaker now that fake news Strauss is gone.
2. That speaker should support Constitutional Carry

I think this is a good topic for the rally.  I am trying to make contacts and get speakers for the rally.  Beside a couple reps I have tried to contact CJ Grisham, and pro 2nd amendment attorney or two.  Maybe an arfcommer from another state who does a lot of lobbying, waiting to hear back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
CJ Grisham messaged me back through Facebook.  They do a 2nd amendment day a few weeks after this is planned.  He didn't seem to have any interest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
CJ Grisham messaged me back through Facebook.  They do a 2nd amendment day a few weeks after this is planned.  He didn't seem to have any interest.
View Quote
It was a good thought. Thanks for trying.

Do you think TSRA would have an interest? (I'm guessing no, but just brainstorming here).
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#50]
CJ Grisham wrote me back on facebook.  He suggested we combine and join his event a few weeks later.

I invited him to join ours as we were planning for the legislative open.  I am awaiting his response.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top