Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2020 10:55:26 AM EDT
So I have a question for the Florida folks. If a Snowbird has a gun but they can't or don't want to take it back to their home state do they just leave it in Florida? Are there places or FFLs that will store guns for like 6 months? I've heard (not that I'm sure if it is true) that some Canadians can apply and get a gun in Florida. So if they own an RV and do not have a house, if they can't take it back to Canada then they would have to leave it somewhere right?

Another example is a NY Snowbird has the evil unsafe act model AR in Florida and can't bring it home. Maybe he flies back and forth too and doesn't want the hassle (not that it's a huge hassle flying with a gun IMHO). I'm curious at how the laws are for storage while out of state. Trigger lock and hidden in a closet good enough? Full blown safe?

Just wondering what some options are. This is not for me. I was asked so I figured I knew of a good place to come and hopefully find the answers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Any good friends or family a option?
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
get a storage closet in one of those storage places or safe deposit box at bank
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any good friends or family a option?
View Quote
Unfortunately no. Should have put that in the original post.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose you could always do the storage unit thing with a safe. But I'd boot for one with actual security on the premises.. Storage unit break-ins are a thing.

I think banks frown upon guns and ammo being stored in their safety deposit boxes. But if you're discrete, how are they going to know?

I have never heard of FFL's storing guns for snowbirds, but that doesn't mean the service doesn't exist out there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't trust a pawn or gun shop to hold it. The way places go out of biz these days...
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
If a person maintains a residence or camper when they leave, there are plenty of creative places to hide a firearm that is packed so as to help protect it from the humidity (if the structure is not climate controlled).

Maybe network some social friendships locally?

When I was in the military, I used to leave my firearms with my neighbor, he was a local deputy. He was more than happy to keep my firearms, it reduced my fear of, and chances of losing, my guns to a burglary. Prior to that, I would hide them in the attic space of where I lived. At that time, I only have about ten long guns and perhaps five or six pistols.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Shooters World [Tampa, Orlando, The Villages] advertises a storage option if you are close to one of these three locations.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep mine in the  dirty  laundry hamper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top