Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2021 7:25:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be more worried about the ticks.  I have had lots of run ins with snakes including western diamond back rattlers from when I lived in Oklahoma and have never even come close to being bitten.  However, I have had ehrlichiosis and tons of other itchy tick bites.

Also, I don't know if they have chiggers in Colorado, but they will be all over down here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh snap, man I hate chiggers, dealt with them when I lived in OK and TX.

I was a kid back then, the same precautions for ticks should work right?
View Quote

Yep it should.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I can confirm both ticks and chiggers while looking at properties in MO

I took to wearing knee height rubber Lacrosse boots and bug spray all over.   I used to just spray from the waist down but I was finding ticks all over me.   I like 3M Ultrathon.

I saw no snakes of any variety.

A Seresto collar works well on the pooch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
It's going to be hot cutting brush for the next couple of months. Watch out for poison oak there will probably be a lot of it around there. There is a good farm and home store just east of Versailles on Hwy52. +1 on spraying for ticks, they have been bad this year... I'm about 45-50 miles northwest of you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Ticks and chiggers-yes.  

Snakes?  Maybe.  Copperheads more likely.  Rattlers?  Highly, highly, unlikely.  I’ve encountered less than 5 copperheads in my life and all were very docile.  

Drink lots of water my man.  Gon be hot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, I hunted that area for several years.  I never saw a copperhead while scouting or hunting, but they are around.  Timber rattlers would be extremely uncommon.  Ticks on the other hand are thicker than bugs on a bumper.  Permethrin was the best remedy that I ever found, it would kill 99% of them, but a few would still get through from time to time.  On one of my scouting trips years ago I forgot my spray and instead of driving to the farm and home store in Versailles (which as one of the previous posters mentioned, is great), I said F it and went ahead without spraying.  By the end of the day I counted 100 tick bites... not fun.

In the end, dealing with the ticks was worth it, me, my family and my friends killed a metric F ton of deer on that lease.  

Oh, one other tip, bring a roll of duct tape.  The Permethrin will kill the ticks and they will sort of stick to your treated clothes.  Wrap 12" of duct tape around your hand (sticky side out) and pat your clothes down before you leave and you can remove the majority of the dead and dying ticks.  Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, I hunted that area for several years.  I never saw a copperhead while scouting or hunting, but they are around.  Timber rattlers would be extremely uncommon.  Ticks on the other hand are thicker than bugs on a bumper.  Permethrin was the best remedy that I ever found, it would kill 99% of them, but a few would still get through from time to time.  On one of my scouting trips years ago I forgot my spray and instead of driving to the farm and home store in Versailles (which as one of the previous posters mentioned, is great), I said F it and went ahead without spraying.  By the end of the day I counted 100 tick bites... not fun.

In the end, dealing with the ticks was worth it, me, my family and my friends killed a metric F ton of deer on that lease.  

Oh, one other tip, bring a roll of duct tape.  The Permethrin will kill the ticks and they will sort of stick to your treated clothes.  Wrap 12" of duct tape around your hand (sticky side out) and pat your clothes down before you leave and you can remove the majority of the dead and dying ticks.  Easy peasy.
View Quote

Also speaking of duct tape, I have seen people tape their pants cuffs to their boots-so that any ticks that do get on you will have to travel all the way up your pants.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, there's a brewery in Versailles that uses local honey for making mead and several Amish stores east of town and north of hwy 52.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't CMMG in that general area?  Might be worth a stop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I had chiggers everywhere, lots of uncut fields.  I moved a dozen miles and haven't had any problems with them.  Current place backs up to mature forest with no fields.  Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't put any Deet or sprays w/Deet onto your skin. Your skin will absorb and it can make one quite ill.

Put insect sprays onto your outer clothes/socks and shoes to help repel. I use "REPEL" insect repellant w/25% Deet when I go hunting or tree felling for firewood.

For skin repellant of insects, use soap that has Citronella in it. It works. My wife makes soaps and made some up a couple years ago, using citronella essential oil in it and all the people that use it say great things to us about it at the Farmer's Market we sell at, by buying out all she makes over the summer time.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#17]
When are you going OP?  It's gonna be fairly warm the next few days, but not completely unbearable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome new neighbor!  

A few creepy crawlies is a small price to pay for the relative freedom you'll find in our state, especially the rural areas.

A flock of guineas can be a noisy bunch, but they're hell on ticks and other bugs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LOTS of oak, enough to feed a smoker for several lifetimes
View Quote

Woodstove

It's nice to be able to heat your house for nothing more than the price of some chainsaw gas and a little elbow grease.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome aboard!...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top