Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2023 10:11:29 PM EDT
Wife was on her way to Cedar Falls to watch the grand boys for the day. A week later a letter arrived to pay a $75 speeding ticket to some business in Chicago.

Got nabbed in Postville IA as she was LEAVING town. Kind of shitty on Postville’s part.

Yes she was speeding, but the local cop probably would never sit there writing tickets as people left town.

I think the city and Chicago business get about a 50/50 split on the money.

Big Brother is watching and it pays well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Several towns in Iowa have them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#2]
They pay cops to sit in the car with the automatic camera systems. That way if you fight it, they can come to court to testify that they saw you.
It's all about revenue (it's government profiting of of "crime") and it has nothing to do with traffic safety.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Strawberry Point has them now too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
It sucks I got hit on the east side of Iowa several years back.  We don't have near as many on the westside.  I always keep my phone plugged in for navigation whether Im using it or not as it normally warns me about speed checks and red light cams.  

They are still road piracy but not much I can do otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a radar detector that has gps.  Then download the camera database and you will be alerted before you drive into the trap.
speed cams and redlight cams gps coordinates are all public information.

I have a Uniden R3 that works great on these traps.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Careful driving through Prairie City on Highway 163 or in town. $100 a pop. I haven't got hit but it was a huge story a few months ago. They have made millions.

The cop sits under the overpass on Highway 163 and uses the camera but in town its static speed cameras near the school.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]
no need to pay it - its the same as getting a parking ticket.

just ignore it and go on with your life.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no need to pay it - its the same as getting a parking ticket.

just ignore it and go on with your life.
View Quote

I've heard that many times before.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've heard that many times before.
View Quote

its how they get by with ticketing the owner of the car, not the driver
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Careful driving through Prairie City on Highway 163 or in town. $100 a pop. I haven't got hit but it was a huge story a few months ago. They have made millions.

The cop sits under the overpass on Highway 163 and uses the camera but in town its static speed cameras near the school.
View Quote

Got tagged there a year ago.  Haven't been back to PC since and never will.  Not that there's anything worth seeing in PC.  I was just on my way to Bob's in Monroe.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]
To add a bit to this - EVERY camera device except the handheld has an expired cert

https://www.waterloopolice.com/information/automated-traffic-enforcement.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:06:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To add a bit to this - EVERY camera device except the handheld has an expired cert

https://www.waterloopolice.com/information/automated-traffic-enforcement.html
View Quote

That’s interesting info. Thanks

Waterloo is close to Cedar Falls. I’ll tell the wife to slow down there too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Got tagged there a year ago.  Haven't been back to PC since and never will.  Not that there's anything worth seeing in PC.  I was just on my way to Bob's in Monroe.
View Quote

A buddy of mine lives there and there's Goldies. Plus that's the route I take to Knoxville from where I live.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a radar detector that has gps.  Then download the camera database and you will be alerted before you drive into the trap.
speed cams and redlight cams gps coordinates are all public information.

I have a Uniden R3 that works great on these traps.
View Quote

I learned something today
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Webster City put some up on highway 17 and 20 within the last month.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been tagged in a few times in some of them towns. Total BS.

Some needs  suburban with a hammerhead bumper.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Interstate 80 heading into Illinois on the Iowa side has them both directions. They have made over 1 million dollars already in the last couple years. They were giving tickets for 1mph over but they got hammered on that. Not sure what it is now. LeClaire had to hire someone full time to handle all the tickets they were getting. I think that job was $70K or more.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top