Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2018 12:33:38 PM EDT
My shop ceiling needs to be finished, and while I'm pretty mechanically inclined I think it is a bit much for me. I am confident I could do it, but it would likely end up looking like crap.
It's about 14' x 16', and appears to be 1/2" board. Any estimates as to how much to finish? (no tape/mud required)  iPotato pic attached.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a drywall guy, but if you don't care about tape+mud are you even going to paint it?  Aren't you just asking for someone to screw drywall sheets to your ceiling then?  Drywall is ~$10 for 4'x8' sheets, so your 14'x16' area is 8 sheets, or $80 of drywall.  If it is just you by yourself, it is way easier to do ceilings with some sort of drywall lift to hold it for you, which you can rent, $26 for 4 hours - https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Drywall-Lift/2311/   So now we're at about $100 to do it yourself.  So I'd expect you to be quoted $200-300 depending on any further details.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a drywall guy but I have all the tools.  If you just want someone to help I have some time off right now.  I'm in North Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I just finished drywalling my basement.  What you are looking to do can be done in a day once you purchase the drywall and screws.  I would also recommend the drywall lift, it makes doing ceilings and the upper walls so much easier and the job goes faster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Insulation implies that you intend to heat the shop. If so, tape the seams, at least. Open gaps allow direct convection of heat. Also, if you have a fire, untapped seams will allow the fire to spread faster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have done a lot of rock work in my life, Dad was a general contractor and it seems like every freaking summer I was doing sheet rock work for him.  Panel lift is a must and it needs to be taped to help the insulation do the job it was designed to do.  Taping does a lot more than just smooth things out, If I did't live so far away, I would by happy to help, but don't know how long it will be before I step foot in WA again!

That said, actually that is a pretty easy job as long as you have the panel jack to get the rock up there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.....I don't have the time off to attempt it myself at the moment, so it will return to the wish list for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top