BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 3:00:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second Blue Pacific  in Hoover. Looks sketchy from the outside; awesome food.

Raymond's Hot Dogs across from the Post Office in 5 Points South
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
T Bones cheese steaks on 20th street south.  He serves real cheesesteaks.  Real good .  https://www.tbonescheesesteaks.com
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Chris Z’s on University (8th ave South) across from St. Vincent’s hospital has some excellent flat top burgers and deep fried hot dogs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All below are in Hoover, near the Galleria, in case you hadn't noticed, I like Asian food.....

Shonos Japanese on US-31 near the Galleria in Hoover, just south of Lorna/150 next to Dales in the Hobby Lobby shopping strip.
Family owned/run.
Eddie is the owner/cook, and it's Teppanyaki fare (cooked diner style, without the show) at a fraction of the chain price.
Ask him about his HAM hobby if you want to make a friend.
Flavors are unique, like eating home cooked food.

Just around the corner is Formosa Chinese on Lorna, by the old Carmike 10 and hidden behind Costas Italian/Greek, another good one.

Go a bit further down Lorna and there's the Blue Pacific, the best Gas Station Thai food you'll find.

(they converted an old gas station into a Thai Joint/food mart, come off peak, if you don't want a wait....)
View Quote
I’ll third Blue Pacific. Used to work a stones throw from there.
Cedar House in Tarrant.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a huge fan of pretentious or glitzy, so most of the spots I go are low-key and tucked away.

Crestline Bagel in Crestline Village (Mtn. Brook) has been a staple since forever.

My wife and I like to eat at the Pita Stop in Cahaba Heights, Surin (Crestline) and Daniel George in Mtn. Brook village.  When we do eat out, I try to support the local community places.

Also, Red Pearl Chinese in Homewood, Ming's on 280, and Shangrila Chinese restaurant on Montevallo Road.

Occasionally we will go to the Whistle Stop in Irondale, and Saris Cafe out on 31 near Alabaster.

If we are in the mood for fancy-schmancy, make your wallet cry, formal dinner, we go to Perrys on 280 (near the Colonnade).
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a couple of places in McCalla that are off the beaten path but great.

Smokin' Hot Sports Grill - BBQ

J&J's Grocery - Burgers

I stopped going to Formosa after finding a fingernail in my food.  Never really got over that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

J&J's Grocery - Burgers

I stopped going to Formosa after finding a fingernail in my food.  Never really got over that.
View Quote
I forgot about J and J. I used to play/work at Paintball Quest and had J and J many times.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Giuseppe's Cafe was a favorite of mine when I was at UAB. It was a three minute walk, so it was handy too.

It is most definitely small. Great food, but I am partial to Italian food.

BTW, if you like Middle Eastern food or just want to try it, there is a Lebanese Christian Maronite Church just across from the park near there. Not a restaurant, but once a year they have a ME food festival. I never missed it when it rolled around.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anybody been to Bob Syke’s BBQ in Bessemer lately? I heard that they had good bbq but when I went several years ago it wasn’t anything special.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anybody been to Bob Syke’s BBQ in Bessemer lately? I heard that they had good bbq but when I went several years ago it wasn’t anything special.
View Quote
I grew up eating Bob Sykes...I used to have dozens of their cups as my primary drink ware. It was my favorite years ago, but the last time I went (couple of years ago) it wasn’t that good. I need to try it again for nostalgia’s sake.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Joel's in Trussville
Cedar House in Tarrant
Faye's Famous Frank's in Fultondale
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Amore out 280 East, great Italian with excellent service, a bit pricey but good
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
East West on 2nd ave no down town is good.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
T Bones cheese steaks on 20th street south.  He serves real cheesesteaks.  Real good .  https://www.tbonescheesesteaks.com
View Quote
He’s a flaming Obama supporter, fwiw.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Bama Hotdogs in Tarrant

1613 Pinson Valley Pkwy, Birmingham, AL 35217

Best handmade burger I've had in a long while. Hand pressed. reminded me of way mom made them in the skillet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

J&J's Grocery - Burgers

View Quote
Went to both last week

J&J's burgers and onion rings are so good, I've never tried anything else for lunch. Their breakfast is great as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#20]
De Vinci’s Pizza in Homewood.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
If anyone is looking for a tasty burger place, Paramount on 2nd and 20th is fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If anyone is looking for a tasty burger place, Paramount on 2nd and 20th is fantastic.
View Quote
I will 2nd this one! Work downtown and this is one we hit weekly.  Smoked wings are pretty dang good as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Marilyn’s Deli on 17th, across from the power company building.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will 2nd this one! Work downtown and this is one we hit weekly.  Smoked wings are pretty dang good as well.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I third this, Great cheese burger and tater tots
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No kidding? My office is half a block from there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I work for Southern Company and we walk a couple of blocks from the APC building....
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Sammy's Sandwich shop.. it's in the "hooood" off Messer Arpt.Hwy..in a hole-in-the wall..but damn awesome burgers. Blue collar lunch crowd that gets crowded quick.

4921 Messer Airport Highway
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I miss Fat Sam’s.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I work for Southern Company and we walk a couple of blocks from the APC building....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, my firm is across the street from the old Bromberg building.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sammy's Sandwich shop.. it's in the "hooood" off Messer Arpt.Hwy..in a hole-in-the wall..but damn awesome burgers. Blue collar lunch crowd that gets crowded quick.

View Quote
I've had this placed mentioned a couple of times in conversation so I guess I'm going to have to venture over and try it out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://hattieb.com/

Went there today. Good.
View Quote
Been there, forgot about that place... Was pretty good ..
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I drive by it one or twice a week.. I need to check it out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two blocks here.

Paramount is my go-to beer and burger/wing joint.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
If you like Indian food, this place is excellent.  If you don't know if you like Indian food, their lunch buffet is a great opportunity to find out if there are elements of it you like.  We go at least once a month.

Bay Leaf  US 280
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Two blocks here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two blocks here.

Link Posted: 1/27/2019 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Saws in Avondale. Went there for the first time yesterday. I’ll definitely be going back.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll third Blue Pacific. Used to work a stones throw from there.
Cedar House in Tarrant.
View Quote
Man, I had forgotten about the Cedar House! The Smokehouse off Finley was a go to for me for years.

I still enjoy the Bright Star in Bessemer, but its not really a small joint (or cheap!).
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 1:54:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you.

We've been looking for an Indian Place closer than downtown that's decent.
View Quote
There's a new place in Hoover (Walmart shopping center on 150) called Bawarchi.  It's another great option.  A couple of my Indian friends have given it a positive review as well.

Bawarchi (Yelp)
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 3:37:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I’m looking for a reference on a good sub sandwich place.. prosciutto, capacola, etc... if anybody knows a good place I’d love to find a honey hole
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Chubfathers in Alabaster. Great burgers and such.
Main St Tavern in Montevallo. Nice sit down place, built in an old bus depot.
The Depot in Helena. Good hole in the wall burger place.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Post Office Pies in the downtown area
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m looking for a reference on a good sub sandwich place.. prosciutto, capacola, etc... if anybody knows a good place I’d love to find a honey hole
View Quote
Diplomat Deli in Vestavia was always a favorite of ours when it was more convenient.

The Embassy sub is amazing!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top