Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2021 7:55:28 PM EDT
Hi guys.

Been awhile since I’ve bought a new handgun. What is the current state of the SSE? Trying to buy a true, factory-made single-shot bolt action pistol, nothing complicated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
SSE no longer exists.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#2]
So are handguns like a break-open TC Contender no longer importable into CA?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Handguns have to be on the roster to be purchased.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguns have to be on the roster to be purchased.
View Quote

Not all handguns need to be on the roster to be legally sold in CA. This is what I was referring to, the Single Shot Exemption to the Roster:

CA PC32100(b)
Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a break top or bolt action and a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10½ inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. However, Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall apply to a semiautomatic pistol that has been temporarily or permanently altered so that it will not fire in a semiautomatic mode.

Break-top and bolt-action pistols are legal provided they have barrels at least 6” and OAL length at least 10.5”.

There’s also a Single Action Revolver exemption as well:

CA32100(a)
Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a five-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
OP...try the calguns forum, handguns for sale area.

Almost anything can be sold as a private party sale, including off-roster guns.

You will pay a premium for them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not all handguns need to be on the roster to be legally sold in CA. This is what I was referring to, the Single Shot Exemption to the Roster:

CA PC32100(b)
Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a break top or bolt action and a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10½ inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. However, Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall apply to a semiautomatic pistol that has been temporarily or permanently altered so that it will not fire in a semiautomatic mode.

Break-top and bolt-action pistols are legal provided they have barrels at least 6” and OAL length at least 10.5”.

There’s also a Single Action Revolver exemption as well:

CA32100(a)
Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a five-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

View Quote

Generally speaking, the "single shot exemption" was something else.  It was using allowances in the law (some might suggest "loopholes") to transfer a "semiautomatic pistol that has been temporarily or permanently altered so that it will not fire in a semiautomatic mode."  They were then restored to a configuration that was outside "roster" or perhaps other "new" sale requirements but otherwise legal to own.  Hence these notices on the Roster site:

• Aftermarket changes or modifications made to certain single shot pistols (i.e. changing upper receivers, connecting gas tubes) may be considered manufacturing these pistols into assault weapons. See California Penal Code section 30515, subdivision (a)(1), for a list of assault weapon characteristics. The purchaser could be in violation of Penal Code section 30600, prohibiting the manufacture of assault weapons, and Penal Code section 30605(a), prohibiting the possession of unregistered assault weapons.

• Item 2

• Alterations of a single shot pistol (i.e. changing upper receivers, connecting gas tubes) may also be considered manufacturing an unsafe handgun. See California Penal Code sections 31900-31910 for the definition of unsafe handguns and 32000(a) for more information on illegal acts involving unsafe handguns.

• Item 2

• Item 2

However, after a legal, even if exempted, sale to most individuals exempt from the roster or after a previous legitimate private party or intra-familial transfer, those handguns can be transfered to others via private party transfer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
ignore the funky formating.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I got a few things under the SSE before it was modified, but I’ve been asking about the straight-up SSE, not the “SSE”.

Thankfully still exists.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
How do I sell an MPX Canebrake pistol?  I got during Covid when I ditched out of the state, and now I have no use for it.  I have too many MCX's, and this one doesn't do it for me.  Is that even possible in CA?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do I sell an MPX Canebrake pistol?  I got during Covid when I ditched out of the state, and now I have no use for it.  I have too many MCX's, and this one doesn't do it for me.  Is that even possible in CA?
View Quote

The Single-Shot Exemption (and the Roster) only applies to CA FFLs selling to CA civilians. As long as you are a CA citizen and your Canebrake is legallly in California, you can still sell to CA citizens via Private Party Transfer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Single-Shot Exemption (and the Roster) only applies to CA FFLs selling to CA civilians. As long as you are a CA citizen and your Canebrake is legallly in California, you can still sell to CA citizens via Private Party Transfer.
View Quote

You mean to use "resident" not "citizen".
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top