Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2022 3:19:54 PM EDT
the county board decided to criminalize another weed.  

I wonder if the county is going to spend the money to remove all the bamboo from county owned properties?

Can't make this stuff up.  

https://annandaletoday.com/supervisors-set-fines-for-invasive-bamboo/
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you read the article?

As a property owner, why should my neighbor’s weeds be allowed to spread to my yard unchecked?

The law does not prohibit a property owner from having this kind of plant on their own property. The law requires the property owner that has this plant on their property to keep it from spreading to somebody else’s property.

I think I’m just fine with this one.

EDIT—- and before somebody brings it up….dandelions are a natural accruing weed in this area, bamboo is not. Somebody has to plant the bamboo.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you read the article?

As a property owner, why should my neighbor’s weeds be allowed to spread to my yard unchecked?

The law does not prohibit a property owner from having this kind of plant on their own property. The law requires the property owner that has this plant on their property to keep it from spreading to somebody else’s property.

I think I’m just fine with this one.

EDIT—- and before somebody brings it up….dandelions are a natural accruing weed in this area, bamboo is not. Somebody has to plant the bamboo.
View Quote

I did.  County parks are infested with the bamboo, and it spreads to adjacent properties.  The county has exempted themselves from that liability, though I assume the affected property owners will be on the hook if it moves on from there.  

IIRC, many of the bamboo groves were planted for erosion and water control by various local park services decades ago.  

I don't disagree that the invasive non-native plants are a real issue.  I'm SMH laughing that the county's solution is just to levy fines, instead of providing some resources to fix a problem that they contribute to.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a whole bunch weed on Balls Ford Rd west of Manassas-- enough to fill a warehouse.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
87 octane pretty much kills everything...or so I've heard...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top