Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2018 2:02:51 PM EDT
Looking for info. on living in Sierra Vista. Would be renting. Any and all information is appreciated. Just me, no family.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a bunch of us here.  I retired from the Army then taught school for 20 years.  Ask away.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What is weather like, rent prices, things to do. Are people friendly, much crime, any major drug problems? I have a concealed permit, is it good there ? Any rental property ban guns ? Will think of more things. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is weather like, rent prices, things to do. Are people friendly, much crime, any major drug problems? I have a concealed permit, is it good there ? Any rental property ban guns ? Will think of more things. Thanks
View Quote
I'm not familiar with SV, but overall across the state, you don't need a CCW permit to carry concealed in the state. Rental properties also can't ban you from having weapons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be down there Wednesday to visit and check in with one of offices. I will ask around
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok guys, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to find a house to rent as a lot of the cheaper apartments can get bad. The more expensive apartments can be as much as a house.AVOID FRY TOWN! If you are not looking for a night life Sierra Vista is not a bad place to be. Weather wise I think sierra vista has some of the best in the state. Not as hot a Tucson in the summer and not as cold as flagstaff in the winter. Sierra Vista is at about 4600 feet above sea level. So if you are not used to that be prepared to be a little out of breath at first.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Is fry town part of s.v.? If so, what part?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is county that is in the middle of sierra vista. I have drawn a line around about where it is.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
The gray area circled in red is Fry.  It is an unincorporated area with in Sierra Vista that is known to be trashy.
Attachment Attached File

The area marked by the black square is the west side of Sierra Vista which also is not always the best place to live.  However, I do know people that live in that area and they do not have issues.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I really appreciate the maps, tells me a lot. I take it the out lined areas are high crime? Can civilians visit the fort? Can you go shooting in the desert? Accessible by car? How far from town do you have to go?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really appreciate the maps, tells me a lot. I take it the out lined areas are high crime? Can civilians visit the fort? Can you go shooting in the desert? Accessible by car? How far from town do you have to go?
View Quote
On the map I uploaded?  No, the different colors represent different types of zoning.  Here is the legend:
Attachment Attached File

Yes, civilians can visit the fort.  You have to stop at the gate to get a pass.  They run a quick background check on you.  You cannot legally bring firearms on the fort unless you register them with the MPs.

Yes, normally, you can shoot out in the boonies and on National Forest land.  However, right now we are under stage 2 fire restrictions so shooting is prohibited.  The desert around here is high desert so you have a lot of mesquite, dry field grass, weeds, and other brush.  "Accessible by car?"  Some places, yes, other places you may not want too.  There is a descent shooting range about 10 miles east of town.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
And, here is the map I used for the zoning.  You can choose the different layers you want displayed on the map:

SV GIS
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
You all have been very helpful. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try to find a house to rent as a lot of the cheaper apartments can get bad. The more expensive apartments can be as much as a house.AVOID FRY TOWN! If you are not looking for a night life Sierra Vista is not a bad place to be. Weather wise I think sierra vista has some of the best in the state. Not as hot a Tucson in the summer and not as cold as flagstaff in the winter. Sierra Vista is at about 4600 feet above sea level. So if you are not used to that be prepared to be a little out of breath at first.
View Quote
Only 4,600?

OP will be fine. We've had lots of arfcomer visitors from lower elevation out of state places due to the close location of Gunsite and none of them had any issues...and we're 5,550 feet above sea level.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#15]
OP, I highly suggest that you do a recon and try to link up with mmsSierra for meet and greet lowdown before you commit.

mmsSierra is good people.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP, I highly suggest that you do a recon and try to link up with mmsSierra for meet and greet lowdown before you commit.

mmsSierra is good people.
View Quote
Absolutely, I will be glad to show off our wonderful area!  Thanks GSL, and by the way, when are you going to make it to this corner of the state?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Mmssierra, thanks. I assume you live in s.v.? What all can you tell me about the area. I know every town has some problems. Not expecting utopia. Would just like to get a feeling of what it's like. Would be a 2000 mile trip. I'm 63 and the weather here is not so good anymore. I am retired. I like to shoot. Metal detect.Like being outside. Thanks for anything and all you can tell me. I'm also very conservative. The government here is being taken over by the liberals.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]
My son lived with his 8 year old daughter in the Las Brisas apartments.  He had nice neighbors and many of the occupants were military folks.  One problem, one girl whe was an Army Sergeant would walk her GSD  the sergeant wore only a bikini and sandals.  Of course you could report her to the policeman who drive by, the Police Station is 2 blocks away.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My son lived with his 8 year old daughter in the Las Brisas apartments.  He had nice neighbors and many of the occupants were military folks.  One problem, one girl whe was an Army Sergeant would walk her GSD  the sergeant wore only a bikini and sandals.  Of course you could report her to the policeman who drive by, the Police Station is 2 blocks away.
View Quote
We have different ideas about what constitutes a problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think that you're now officially old

And she knew what she was doing, well played and should have been thanked for her service
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mmssierra, thanks. I assume you live in s.v.? What all can you tell me about the area. I know every town has some problems. Not expecting utopia. Would just like to get a feeling of what it's like. Would be a 2000 mile trip. I'm 63 and the weather here is not so good anymore. I am retired. I like to shoot. Metal detect.Like being outside. Thanks for anything and all you can tell me. I'm also very conservative. The government here is being taken over by the liberals.
View Quote
@richlands55 IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Mmssierra, got your msg. Very informative. Always wanted to see the desert. Have always lived on the e. coast. Thanks so much for all the information.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mmssierra, got your msg. Very informative. Always wanted to see the desert. Have always lived on the e. coast. Thanks so much for all the information.
View Quote
Keep in mind that Sierra Vista is considered high desert.  It is very different than the lower desert around Yuma or Phoenix or Tucson.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Warning. Do not take the Charleston Road to Tombstone at night during a rainstorm.  You will have a good chance of meeting the ghost of a woman who hanged her self at the old bridge.

If you like Western History this is your home/////until you are dead.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Warning. Do not take the Charleston Road to Tombstone at night during a rainstorm.  You will have a good chance of meeting the ghost of a woman who hanged her self at the old bridge.

If you like Western History this is your home/////until you are dead.
View Quote
LOL.  I had forgotten about that ghost story!  She is supposed to be holding a baby and can only be seen at midnight, the time she hung herself.  So, of course when you see her you stop and you are never seen again!  Some of my friends and looked for her many times.  I wonder where those friends are now

By the way there is a ghost town near that bridge.

On a more serious note, a lot of people have died on that road.  That includes my old high school photography teacher, RIP Mr. Castell.  And, a young soldier who fell down a mine shaft while attempting to get off the road at night to take a piss.

You do have to be careful about vertical mine shafts in this area.  Some are open and some are boarded up and over time the wood rots.  Don't step on those!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the warning. Good advice about the mine shafts. I'm usually in bed by 10. So,won't have to worry about the ghost.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#27]
The only thing scary up here is the cars with CA plates
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Mr Casteel was one of my closest friends.  The day he was killed I took the last few minutes of his class so he could get to the meeting in Tombstone.  In those days we could both wear our cowboy stuff with 6guns to class as long as they werern't loaded.  Remember Mr. Payne was as big a history buff as we were.  
Also on the day he was killed he was wearing my Colt 2nd Gen SAA, it was a shiny silver with real ivory grips.  When his body was finally moved the gun was gone and to my knowledge has never been recovered.  
Actually my wife saw the lady at the bridge.  Honest to God.
My wife taught at SVMS, science.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
So glad I found this thread. My wife wants to move out west from New England once I can retire from the FD, and Sierra Vista was one of the places that made the cut.

Mind you, I only had the Trulia app to base my research off of, but it seems to me that Sierra Vista hit all my criteria for weather, price, low crime, and few natural disasters.

First I need to actually visit the state. Then keep my fingers crossed that one, I make it to retirement (still got at least 10 years to go), and two, that SV sees very little change in that time frame. Fingers are crossed.

Again though, it was good reading people posting positive things about it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I had to look on the map up close. My sis lives in SV and has for the last 20 years or so. She is east of this "Fry" area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top