Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 6:49:57 PM EDT
Before I moved here I happened to mention to a shooter at the range I used to shoot right off my back porch in the country ( different states)
He seemed to think this was illegal in AZ which I find doubtful, but wasn’t sure.
Let’s say you have your cabin on acreage could you shoot / have a back yard range off your back porch?
I know there are some game law distance limits for hunting but even these say if you own the property or have the residence owners permission that a distance limit does not apply.
Not set up for this at present just curious
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't quote the ARS, and I could be wrong, but if your home is not in an incorporated area, i.e. in city limits, you shouldn't have an issue.

You can't shoot while hunting within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure (or any structure that theoretically could be occupied).
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told years ago it was a full mile away from any structures, could have changed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the double.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told years ago it was a full mile away from any structures, could have changed.
View Quote
It's 1/4 mile from an occupied structure. Hunting near an occupied structure

is OK if you have permission from the structure's owner.

Shooting from your back porch is fine if your neighbors are 1/4 mile or more from

you or if they say it's OK if within 1/4 mile.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
We had a community meeting up here in Apache county. I question came up about shooting on your property, and I mentioned it was a 1/4 mile from a habitable building. The Sheriff, said that was the case when hunting, but if just target shooting, there are no limitations as long as you have a proper backstop.

You will definitely want to confirm this with your local CLEO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We had a community meeting up here in Apache county. I question came up about shooting on your property, and I mentioned it was a 1/4 mile from a habitable building. The Sheriff, said that was the case when hunting, but if just target shooting, there are no limitations as long as you have a proper backstop.

View Quote
This.

Confirmed by Pima County Deputy in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can't quote the ARS, and I could be wrong, but if your home is not in an incorporated area, i.e. in city limits, you shouldn't have an issue.

You can't shoot while hunting within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure (or any structure that theoretically could be occupied).
View Quote
That's pretty much covers it.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the 1800-1990's, in Graham County no one cared.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's 1/4 mile from an occupied structure. Hunting near an occupied structure

is OK if you have permission from the structure's owner.

Shooting from your back porch is fine if your neighbors are 1/4 mile or more from

you or if they say it's OK if within 1/4 mile.
View Quote
The 1/4 mile rule is Title 17 and applies to hunting, not shooting. It is illegal to shoot inside city limits (with a bunch of exceptions).  If you are on private property in an unincorporated area you just need stay clear of the Title 13,disorderly conduct with a firearm law.

Most citizens and half the patrol cops are convinced of the 1/4 mile thing and they are all wrong.

In the past there was so much convenient desert public lands shooting that people didn’t really shoot in inhabited areas, so even in rural areas you might get some bitching from neighbors, even pro gun neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never heard the "backstop" thing, but it could obviously vary by jurisdiction--it is advisable, however, if for nothing else to limit your liability from ricochets, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've never heard the "backstop" thing, but it could obviously vary by jurisdiction--it is advisable, however, if for nothing else to limit your liability from ricochets, etc.
View Quote
13-2904A6 is disorderly conduct with a firearm and covers “reckless discharge.”  That would be the basis of the Sheriff telling him to have a safe backstop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top