Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 1:39:28 PM EDT
I got squirrels in my yard running up and down on my roof and dont want them getting into my house. I want to put them to sleep for good. I have my sons pellet gun that will do.

I called the non emergency number for mansfield tx. And the cop told me I cant di that.

But I was reading some stuff on line and it says as long as I dont do damage to anybody else's property and shooting it at anybody Im ok.

Does anybody know.whats up with this?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's written into the standard city code now, that every little municipality just rubber stamps. Either way, in a neighborhood, if you break someone's window with a BB gun, it's not gonna go well for you.

You're on the radar now. Otherwise I'd just say be discrete and follow the 3 S's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's written into the standard city code now, that every little municipality just rubber stamps. Either way, in a neighborhood, if you break someone's window with a BB gun, it's not gonna go well for you.

You're on the radar now. Otherwise I'd just say be discrete and follow the 3 S's.
View Quote
Its all good. The hell with those nasty bastards.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Kill the tree rats!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kill the tree rats!
View Quote
I use big rat traps that i wire to the trees or on the roof- sometimes it kills them, sometimes my dog has a new toy for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kill the tree rats!
View Quote
THIS!

They do look funny running sideways on vertical brick though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a Havahart trap, got everyone of those Bitotchs. wasn't as fun as shooting them,, but they made excellent stew
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
As mentioned above, most cities have ordinances against firing firearms inside the city limits, including air rifles

I’m lucky, that my city is gracious enough to allow me to shoot a air rifle on my own property, with only stipulation that projectile cannot leave my property.

Also as mentioned make sure your eaves are squared away and live traps are about your only option.  Not condoning “illegal” activities, but be careful of neighbors...... Neighbors are the reason a lot of cities now have a, “Report a Concern” feature on their website......
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
My squirrels chew on my eaves and roof fittings so I started killing them.  I'm thinking about attaching rat traps to the trees but that would probably upset a few of my neighbors.  These creatures are destructive.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a reason they call them "tree rats"
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My squirrels chew on my eaves and roof fittings so I started killing them.  I'm thinking about attaching rat traps to the trees but that would probably upset a few of my neighbors.  These creatures are destructive.
View Quote
Always amazes me at the same neighbors would loose their shit if they saw a rat or mouse....
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got some plastic fixtures on my roof, dryer vents and such, and won't hesitate to zero a squirrel.

Two things I take comfort in are the fact that my neighbor chases squirrels around with his .22, and the fact that the "city" can't exactly locate their ordinances.

I've got a Chinese .177 rifle that came in a box of Mosins back in the C&R days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s the straw that breaks the camels back. Chewing makes my trigger finger itchy. That and the sight of live squirrels...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That’s the straw that breaks the camels back. Chewing makes my trigger finger itchy. That and the sight of live squirrels...
View Quote
Then I had all my trim replaced and painted but just a short time later I find they're gnawing again on a spot above my front door.  No reason but lazy squirrels preferring the front of my house.  The previous trash guy wasn't happy about my disposal methods.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I let them go at my first house and then one day I noticed the lead roof jacks had started sliding down the pipes going through the roof.  The squirrels had eaten all the lead where it was bent over the pipe.

Lucky for me there was enough lead to pull up and crimp back down.  Then I noticed all the trim boards on the soffit corners were rounded by the squirrels so I went to war.

When I moved to my new house and remodeled it one day in the fall I noticed the Pecan trees looked like predator was in them at lunch.  I went out with my 8 pump Benjamin and killed 4 or 5.

Thus the war started again.  I have killed close to two hundred in 5 years.  The previous owner never got many pecans .  My best year was 192 pounds off four trees.

I have moved up to the Benjamin Marauder but continue with the open sight hand pump at the shop where squirrels did over 6 thousand dollars damage to one of the bucket trucks. It ate some hoses inside the boom and you change them all out when you change one.

Take your shots on the ground, against the tree trunks and steep angles up and you will not have any problems.

Never ask permission,  Never make a big deal out of it, Just  three simple SSS and keep them in the freezer till trash day in the summer.

We do not eat them because my wife would not and the lead they eat in town.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Sadly they are deferring to just about everything being illegal or frowned upon these days...

I might know a guy that has opened his back porch door and/or rearward facing windows, and used a suppressed .22 to shwack squirrels and the like off the back porch under a feeder.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then I had all my trim replaced and painted but just a short time later I find they're gnawing again on a spot above my front door.  No reason but lazy squirrels preferring the front of my house.  The previous trash guy wasn't happy about my disposal methods.
View Quote
Squirrels are agitators, I feel like the squirrel terminator sometimes. LOL about disposal methods, you have to be  sneaky. My preferred method is to hide the carcasses in the yard cart and cover with leaves or grass. My kill count was ballpark 400 2 years ago but I have slowed tremendously.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#18]
The Collin County animal control employee at work said that most squirrels in city areas are so full of poison from attempts to control their population that they are not safe to eat. I don't know if that is BS or fact. I do know that rubber or plastic roof stack boots will not keep them out of an attic. I have not seen the lead stack flashing damaged.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been waging a squirrel jihad for years.  Conibear traps are more efficient than a pellet gun (though not as fun) Tractor supply carries them.  I cannot give you an a count beyond "hell of a lot'.

Do NOT eat suburban squirrels. Way too many chemicals from things like lead flashing and eating out of bird feeders.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been waging a squirrel jihad for years.  Conibear traps are more efficient than a pellet gun (though not as fun) Tractor supply carries them.  I cannot give you an a count beyond "hell of a lot'.

Do NOT eat suburban squirrels. Way too many chemicals from things like lead flashing and eating out of bird feeders.
View Quote
if you can take the shot through a cracked open door or window and with muzzle a few feet inside the house, the sound is negligible.

setting traps can be fun...  squirrel pole and snares along fence pathways.  as mentioned the big rat traps are good if you can catch a foot along a fence post top or other pathway.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I never got a successful snare. They would run my fence tops and annoy my dogs. I started putting snares on top with a piece of 2" metal tubing sitting on the fence board below it. The idea was if they got snared, they would knock the metal off the board and the whole setup, trap, squirrel and metal would fall to the ground with the dogs.

Might work better if it was loaded with a fiberglass pole. I played with snaring hogs last year using those plastic lollipop driveway reflector sticks so they would pull the cable tight when the hog stepped through it. I snared a couple, but they always pulled loose after about 10 minutes.

Electric fence works if you have a ground wire.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a disposal crew that takes care of the bodies for the most part.

Several large hawks and Owls come around looking for my work.  I shoot them and just set them out and most of the time they are gone.   They have taken as many as four in two days.  They will sit in the pecan trees and wait.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
[heavysarcasm]I love squirrels. They keep my peaches from fully ripening and I don't have to chase kids away from the peach tree. [/heavysarcasm]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is where I got mine.  I've also used those Havahart traps and snagged one once....then pew pew pew

Then I started making Squirrel Cookies.....peanut butter and plaster of paris.  Placed in known traffic areas to poison them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Mansfield does have a city ordinance where you can't discharge an air gun, pellet gun, or BB gun...period. I had to check because in the city I work for, its only illegal to shoot air, pellet, and BB guns if it causes damage. I have some co-workers who believed discharging them were illegal period but they were corrected. I will say this but every cop is different. From my experience, violation of a city ordinance are rarely enforced and we usually give out verbal warnings. The only guys who really enforce city ordinance violations are code enforcement officers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mansfield does have a city ordinance where you can't discharge an air gun, pellet gun, or BB gun...period. I had to check because in the city I work for, its only illegal to shoot air, pellet, and BB guns if it causes damage. I have some co-workers who believed discharging them were illegal period but they were corrected. I will say this but every cop is different. From my experience, violation of a city ordinance are rarely enforced and we usually give out verbal warnings. The only guys who really enforce city ordinance violations are code enforcement officers Gestapo.
View Quote
FIFY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top