Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2021 12:01:51 PM EDT
I am looking at FL real estate and want to find a place where I can shoot in my own backyard / on my own property.  What are the laws regarding this in FL and is any particular backstop required?  Does it depend on a certain acreage or proximity to neighbors or roads?

Is there an issue with the noise or any other thing I should be aware of?  Looking primarily in Central FL but open to ideas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all spelled out here:   https://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2020/0790.15

The key point is:  (b)If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or

It's the escape clause for requiring a certain sized property.  As long as you can shoot safely, the statute is on your side.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The number one problem, if any, will be from those around you who bitch. But... bitch is about all that can be done by LE agencies following/respecting the law.

The statute posted above often leads people to think shooting in/around a populated "residential area" is illegal, it's not. You just need to be able to demonstrate your bullets are not leaving your property.

200 yard

300 yard

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I see some improvements have been made to the range.  It looks nice!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The number one problem, if any, will be from those around you who bitch. But... bitch is about all that can be done by LE agencies following/respecting the law.

The statute posted above often leads people to think shooting in/around a populated "residential area" is illegal, it's not. You just need to be able to demonstrate your bullets are not leaving your property.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/673/vJ4oap.jpg

200 yard

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/540/y9qzGt.jpg

300 yard

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/911/xvB9VR.jpg
View Quote

@Bowhntr6pt

Nice range! That's exactly what I'm looking for. May I ask how much acreage you have to be able to do something like that? And which county it's in?

Behind that short berm there are trees. How deep is the treeline? Is there a neighbor's house behind it?

I am used to seeing large berms, hills, or rock formations as the backstop for a range. Much of the land I've seen in Florida is open field without cover ... I'm hoping to find something with trees/forests for privacy to shoot in.

Looking at Lake County but also open to suggestions!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@Bowhntr6pt

Nice range! That's exactly what I'm looking for. May I ask how much acreage you have to be able to do something like that? And which county it's in?

Behind that short berm there are trees. How deep is the treeline? Is there a neighbor's house behind it?

I am used to seeing large berms, hills, or rock formations as the backstop for a range. Much of the land I've seen in Florida is open field without cover ... I'm hoping to find something with trees/forests for privacy to shoot in.

Looking at Lake County but also open to suggestions!
View Quote

The location in in Jefferson county. I own 63 acres and lease an adjoining 110 acres, it's where I run my training classes and not pictured is a 500+ yard lane... BUT... I'm surrounded by several thousand acres of timber land. Nearest neighbor is almost a mile away. The timber cuts way down on noise transfer.

I actually live in Lake county.

My property extends behind the berm a few hundred yards and there's nothing but timber and swamp.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I see some improvements have been made to the range.  It looks nice!
View Quote

I wish... just an older pic. I've given up on my dirt guy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#8]
if your neighbor calls the cops, the responders can, and probably will, make a huge stink.  Most cops do not know the law, or are concerned with the law.  This will vary from place to place of course, but here in Gainesville/Alachua County, the anti gun city PD and the anti gun sheriff make  shooting on your own property dicey.  Expect to pay a lawyer after the fact
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if your neighbor calls the cops, the responders can, and probably will, make a huge stink.  Most cops do not know the law, or are concerned with the law.  This will vary from place to place of course, but here in Gainesville/Alachua County, the anti gun city PD and the anti gun sheriff make  shooting on your own property dicey.  Expect to pay a lawyer after the fact
View Quote
We shoot a lot here in the north end of Alachua. Sheriff never shows up, probably because my neighbors really don't care. Now, in the city that's a completely different ballgame. You have to judge your environment accordingly.

I would welcome a LEO that wants to discuss statutes sometime, then offer to let them shoot whatever we have out that day.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top