Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2021 2:20:38 PM EDT
I'm in Pennsylvania sold some ammo on GunBroker. I put the legal disclaimer in the ad I won't ship where prohibited. The guy that won the auction sent me a money order with an address in Los Angeles for me to ship it to. What are the laws about shipping to Ca and into LA specifically? I did some reading where I could ship to an FFL and he could pick it up there. I sent an email to the buyer with my phone number a day ago asking the same questions and got no replies. I don't want to get myself or the buyer into legal trouble. Would it be best to return the money order?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell him to give you the address of his FFL for you to ship it to or you'll send his M.O. back!

If he doesn't reply, send it back and then report it to GB as non paying or ignorant buyer or...

Normally I would just say F CA and everything about their anti gun crap but it could be the DOJ setting up a sting. I know it sounds far fetched but hey, they have been known to check license plates at gun shows just over the border!
View Quote

I checked my email after I posted here. The guy sent me a copy of an expired ammunition vendor license to a dealer in San Diego asking me to send it there. Monday morning I I'll send the money order back. I've never been to California so I don't know the distance but trying to get it shipped to another city seems a bit off. I did an image search and found the exact vendor license he copied and sent me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I checked my email after I posted here. The guy sent me a copy of an expired ammunition vendor license to a dealer in San Diego asking me to send it there. Monday morning I I'll send the money order back. I've never been to California so I don't know the distance but trying to get it shipped to another city seems a bit off. I did an image search and found the exact vendor license he copied and sent me.
View Quote

LA to San Diego, 2 hours.  sounds kinda scammy to me.

also, fuck California. There is no legal way for me to buy even ammo here, as a military dependant
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You can ship it to me. I’ll give you a legit ffl you can ship it to.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
So it's legal to ship it to anyone in CA but illegal for a person (non ffl) to accept it?

I just sold some ammo on GB to a guy in CA. Haven't got his ffl information yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So it's legal to ship it to anyone in CA but illegal for a person (non ffl) to accept it?

I just sold some ammo on GB to a guy in CA. Haven't got his ffl information yet.
View Quote

You can't get in trouble for shipping it unless you are in CA doing it.  A vendor with an open policy and actual practice of shipping to private individuals in CA might get sued, with the goal of getting them to agree to stop in a settlement, or to force revelation of the customer lists on discovery, as they know they'll ultimately lose at trial; a private, occasional seller, not so much.

A private individual with a C&R license and a CA COE can get it shipped directly to his house without an FFL or licensed ammo vendor (although there aren't manner of the latter who aren't the former) serving as an intermediary and can also purchase FTF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top