Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2020 4:46:11 PM EDT
Its been a decade or so since I've shipped a gun.  What's the process involved now?  I'd like to li add t my WASR on the EE but if it's a giant hassle to ship a gun I'll just try and sell it locally?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Through the US Postal Service,

You can ship a rifle or shotgun "in the State of Missouri" directly to an individual.

Handguns in or "out of state" must go thru an FFL.

Rifles and shotguns "out of state" must be shipped to an FFL

I'm not sure what United Parcels Service (UPS) requires, you can call a local UPS Store and asked.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I would assume you have to tell the usps it's a gun?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would assume you have to tell the usps it's a gun?
View Quote

You have to tell any carrier that it's a gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you lie about the package containing a gun and it gets lost, stolen, or damaged a shipper will not honor any insurance.
When you sign the shipping document you're signing a legal contract.  Lie and you've defrauded the shipper.
That means the contract and insurance are invalid.

People often claim a package contains "parts" or "tools" but when shipping a rifle or shotgun you don't have to ship it the fastest way like they require a pistol to be sent, so it's cheaper anyway, why lie and take a chance.

Note that UPS Stores will NOT ship guns or knives.  You have to take those to a UPS depot or have the package picked up by a UPS driver.  The paperwork for this are on the UPS site.

As above you can mail a long gun through the USPS but NOT a pistol.  
Regulations state that the package CANNOT say "GUN" or FIREARM on the outside.  At one time years ago they required that info be on the package but thefts skyrocketed so they now say no markings on the outside.

As above if it's going outside the state it has to go to an FFL Dealer.  In-state you can ship it, but many shippers will refuse.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Some FFLs will refuse a gun from an individual, even though there's no legal reason to do so.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]
All good info, thanks guys!  I sure miss the old MOHTFEE.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure the buyer's FFL accepts transfers directly from an individual. Not all of them do.

Not applicable to this thread, but USPS does not ship handguns.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Um, you can ship a LONG gun through USPS.  If it's a HAND gun you cannot ship unless you are an FFL.

Here's the USPS Firearm Declaration Form:  https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

UPS requires that hand guns go 2nd Day Air... You'll have to Google to see their requirements.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that new? They used to do it, if you had an FFL.

Edit - Beat by six seconds.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to go to a hub to use UPS.  You can go to any location to use Fedex.  I sent my Hi Power to an out of state gunsmith using Fedex.

ETA:  Info I was given when I called.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You have to go to a hub to use UPS.  You can go to any location to use Fedex.  I sent my Hi Power to an out of state gunsmith using Fedex.
View Quote

Incorrect, it's the same as UPS.......the hub or handed to a driver.  You cannot drop a gun off at Fedex Office, Office Depot, Walgreens, drop boxes, or to any other locations that are not FedEx owned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can ship handguns via USPS if you are a licensed DEALER, MANUFACTURER, or IMPORTER.  Unfortunately,
it doesn't say "FFL"......otherwise 03's would get to take advantage of that service.  Still perfectly legal to ship shotguns and rifles though!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Unaware, I took a rifle to a UPS store.  They declined to ship it for me, but, they did package it nicely.  No strange reactions, just another piece of freight to the girl behind the counter.   Then I made a trip to the hub.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had decent experiences shipping rifles via USPS.

One time in a large crowded post office, the worker wanted me to show her it was unloaded. Oooookay.....out comes an Uzi.

The look on people's faces when I turned around to leave was priceless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One time in a large crowded post office, the worker wanted me to show her it was unloaded. Oooookay.....out comes an Uzi.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is epic!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Man. Some guys have all the fun!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Man. Some guys have all the fun!
View Quote

Lol, except that I absolutely regret selling.  It was an IMI Action Arms Model B.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top