Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2021 5:57:26 PM EDT
Just purchased a suppressor from a LGS.  Need to fill out ATF paperwork and send it in. Tuscola County sheriff says they are not doing fingerprints at this time, due to COVID. Local police is staffed by........ sheriffs department.  

What are my options?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Already paid for suppressor at LGS, so going to a silencer kiosk is not an option.  I’m not paying the LGS’s 20% restocking fee.

LGS only suggestion is sheriff department or town police (which is staffed by sheriff).

Will ATF accept finger prints done by an agency where I do not reside?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]
As has been posted you can do your own prints or have them done at another LE agency. I haven't done my own prints yet but have used a non-local PD without issue.
NFA F4 guide
Order Fingerprint Cards from ATF for free (FBI FD-258LE)
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, order the cards from the ATF. They are free and will ship them to you for free. Then just order an ink pad on Amazon or your local Staples and do them yourself. There are no issues with doing them yourself.

When you order cards from the ATF I recommend ordering a bunch so you have some for future stamps.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Identigo
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I do my prints all of the time with no issues yet. Before you start putting prints to the ATF cards try
doing prints on regular paper to make sure you are doing them correctly. Also buy some Re-Print Tabs
so if you do make a mistake you don't have to start all over.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend did his own fingerprints the old fashioned way. Some gun shops have the electronic fingerprint scan on site. You have to ask around.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Doing your own is the way to go. It’s super easy. Get a few extra cards and practice a few times.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I did my own for my last two cans.

Bought a fingerprint ink pad, got a bunch of cards from the atf,  did some sample cards,  submitted.

Cost was under $6 for the pad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems a reluctance to do finger prints are more than statewide. Family members have dealt with local sheriff offices in other states and all have run into difficulties. Through appts weeks in advance to waiting, only to never get in.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Police sends people to us.  They don't really want to do them anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the reply’s.

I bought an ink pad and rolled my own.  Sent them off last week.  We’ll see how I did.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought an ink pad and rolled my own.  Sent them off last week.  We’ll see how I did.
View Quote

They will be fine. I've never seen fingerprints rejected for quality and I have seen some pretty bad ones lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They will be fine. I've never seen fingerprints rejected for quality and I have seen some pretty bad ones lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s good to know.  That’s the only part I was really worried about.  Now I just wait.  I’m going to send in to SBR it this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top