Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2022 10:02:54 AM EDT
I had heard about their terrible customer service and witnessed first hand their unfriendly attitude while there. My friends and I retold stories about their rude attitude. Well I needed some shotshell components so I decided to call and see if they had any in stock. I was told they had one box of 1000. I drove the 45 minutes to get there, I was told you had to buy a certain # of additional products in order to buy the primers. That was alright as I needed the other stuff as well. Well I drove there immediately and was told the primers had been purchased and they were out. It was Sat so I just drove home. I purchased nothing from them. They close at noon on Sat.

Just out of curiosity I called them shortly after they opened on Monday and asked if they had primers. I was told they had one box left. The same story you had to buy wads and shot to be eligible to buy them. Thats of course if they decide to sell it to you. I realize its there store and they run it the way they want but I will not be back.

Chinook3

Who else has rude Shantz stories I am sure there’s a bunch out there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
no rude stories, i ordered a stoeger M3500 turkey though them 4 years ago, or so.. back when they had the tire shop there still and the gun side was ancillary.

everything went well, but that's been the only thing i've ever purchased from them.  every time i get down there from GR it's always after 12 on a saturday or on a sunday... so the timing may have shielded me.

the store by the highway is classically overpriced, $180 for a streamlight tlr-1, if that tells you anything.. everything has the $50-$150 LGS tax on it.

if i'm in the area, i tend to head a little further south to On Target near M43 & 131, to the west of the exit.   I don't reload, but they've got lots of guns on the floor you can fondle, various other supplies, targets, etc..  and they aren't dicks.

back around 2000 i transferred in a rifle from gun broker through them and purchase another shotgun from them directly.. over the years since, ammo, another rifle for my boy and lots of targets... good people down there
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Shantz Supply has or had the largest stock of smokeless powders anywhere in Michigan. Usually (in normal times) a great selection of bullets. Just because they had primers when you called, doesn't mean someone else didn't buy them in the meantime.

While the men behind the counter seem to wish they were not there, I have always been glad to have that store as an option. Not everyone is cut out for retail. It usually doesn't pay well and snarky attitudes don't help. I hate sales jobs with a passion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys are just grumpy FUDs, but they've always been decent to me. Or I just have thicker skin and my GAF meter is pretty low when it comes to gun sales guys anyway.
I will say I trust their pricing more than I trust On Target's for various reasons, but, I like the people at On Target a lot more.
All that said, if you haven't checked out D&R lately, you owe yourself a visit. They overhauled the entire place and now the firearms/hunting area is damn near as big as the boating/fishing area. And they have a huge selection of cans there (also a SS kiosk member).
I've had luck finding some primers there as well in these trying times.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys are just grumpy FUDs, but they've always been decent to me. Or I just have thicker skin and my GAF meter is pretty low when it comes to gun sales guys anyway.
I will say I trust their pricing more than I trust On Target's for various reasons, but, I like the people at On Target a lot more.
All that said, if you haven't checked out D&R lately, you owe yourself a visit. They overhauled the entire place and now the firearms/hunting area is damn near as big as the boating/fishing area. And they have a huge selection of cans there (also a SS kiosk member).
I've had luck finding some primers there as well in these trying times.
View Quote

Just curious what you don't like about On Target, I'm in there all the time. D&R pricing is okay but their staff especially their gun guys are great. They also do free Form 1 finger printing there if you ask.

My coworker went to Shantz and they refused to sell him powder because he went in with another coworker who had bought powder earlier that week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top