Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2021 11:08:03 PM EDT
I know that we're mostly worried about the CC bill passing, but personally I think that this one might ultimately have farther-reaching consequences than CC in the state.

The Texas Senate passed HB 3979, which bans CRT from being taught in Texas schools and affirms actual history being taught, not the revisionist 1619 project bullshit.

Texas Legislature Set To Ban Mandatory Critical Race Theory In Schools

The Texas State Senate passed a bill Saturday banning the state’s schools from mandating that instructors teach critical race theory.

House Bill 3979, which passed the Texas House of Representatives on May 11, will head to Republican Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s desk after the lower chamber approves the Senate’s changes to the legislation, according to local KXAN.

The bill stresses the importance of learning about the founding of the U.S. by referencing original documents such as the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Federalist Papers, according to the text of the bill.

Teachers also shall not be compelled by any state agency or school administration “to discuss current events or widely debated and currently controversial issues of public policy or social affairs,” the bill further stipulates, adding that when teachers choose to discuss such topics, they “shall, to the best of their ability, strive to explore such issues from diverse and contending perspectives without giving deference to anyone perspective[.]”

Though critical race theory is not explicitly named in the bill, it goes on to forbid teaching that “one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex,” or that “an individual, by virtue of the individual’s race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously,” as well as the idea that meritocracy and work ethic “are racist or sexist or were created by members of a particular race to oppress members of another race.”

...Republican Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick also praised the bill, saying, “House Bill 3979 makes certain that critical race philosophies, including the 1619 founding myth, are removed from our school curriculums statewide. When parents send their children to school, they want their students to learn critical thinking without being indoctrinated with misinformation charging that America and our Constitution are rooted in racism.”

Full Story at link

As someone with school-aged kids I'm very happy to see this passed. I truly believe that we need to fight this divisive and corrosive garbage everywhere it rears its ugly head.

The bill heads back to the House for approval following Senate changes, and then to the Governor's desk for signing.

UPDATE: Gov Abbot has signed the bill

Texas Gov. Abbott Signs Bill Banning Critical Race Theory in Schools
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent news.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
YES!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
That's great to see.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Delete
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Fantastic, I considered this one a must-pass in today's environment.

I can't remember the last time we've had a more productive session than this one. Lots of good stuff making it through the pipeline.

About the only big one I see that's stalled is the social media bill (SB 12 approved in the Senate, but I didn't hear about any movement in the House). Florida outdid us on that one. But other than that, great session.

ETA - Yes, the Democrats appear to have killed the social media bill in the house. No surprise that they're huge fans of censorship and silencing their political opponents: Multiple Senate GOP priorities fail in Texas House after last-ditch effort by Democrats to run out the clock

The House had on its calendar several of the Senate’s priorities, including a bill banning social media companies from blocking users because of their viewpoint or their location within Texas, another that would ban local governments from using public funds to pay for lobbyists, and another that would force transgender student athletes to play on sports teams based on their sex assigned at birth instead of their gender identity.

I'd love to see Abbot call a special session to get this done. It was so close.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
God bless Texas.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fantastic, I considered this one a must-pass in today's environment.

I can't remember the last time we've had a more productive session than this one. Lots of good stuff making it through the pipeline.

About the only big one I see that's stalled is the social media bill (SB 12 approved in the Senate, but I didn't hear about any movement in the House). Florida outdid us on that one. But other than that, great session.

ETA - Yes, the Democrats appear to have killed the social media bill in the house. No surprise that they're huge fans of censorship and silencing their political opponents: Multiple Senate GOP priorities fail in Texas House after last-ditch effort by Democrats to run out the clock

The House had on its calendar several of the Senate’s priorities, including a bill banning social media companies from blocking users because of their viewpoint or their location within Texas, another that would ban local governments from using public funds to pay for lobbyists, and another that would force transgender student athletes to play on sports teams based on their sex assigned at birth instead of their gender identity.

I'd love to see Abbot call a special session to get this done. It was so close.
View Quote

Abbott is calling a special session for redistricting and there is a chance a couple of these bills could be added at the Governor’s request
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Abbott is calling a special session for redistricting and there is a chance a couple of these bills could be added at the Governor’s request
View Quote

Well he can add the vote integrity bill to the agenda, because the Democrats killed it last night by throwing a tantrum and walking off of the job:

Texas Democrats stage walkout to block state's restrictive voting bill; Gov. Greg Abbott plans to call special session

A restrictive voting bill on the verge of Republican Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk failed to pass Sunday night after Democrats walked out of the House chamber before a midnight deadline.

Abbott said he would call a special session to try passing a voting bill again but did not say when.

Full story at link...

I'd thought this one had already passed. This was another "must-pass" bill, too. I hope that Abbot calls all of these bastards back into session so they can do their goddamned jobs like adults.

I hate Democrats more and more every day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Update - Abbot has signed the bill
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I had hoped it would make it to the gov's desk.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top