Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2021 11:03:14 PM EDT
I am selling my car and found a buyer from out-of-state.  It's the first time I've sold a car, "Private party."  I plan on buying a new car from a dealer within the same week or two after.    Do I keep my license plate for reassignment- If so, bring it to the dealer with me?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you reuse your old plate you will save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You are supposed to keep your plate and print a temporary for the buyer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sounds like what's required is a "Restricted Use 3 Day Permit". https://servicearizona.com/permit3/permit?execution=e1s1  But as there's a fee involved and information to be provided, the buyer can do that.  It isn't on the seller.

https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/vehicle-services/buying-and-selling-your-vehicle/selling-your-vehicle lists the things you do need to do.  "Provide a temporary plate to buyer" isn't on that list.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It sounds like what's required is a "Restricted Use 3 Day Permit". https://servicearizona.com/permit3/permit?execution=e1s1  But as there's a fee involved and information to be provided, the buyer can do that.  It isn't on the seller.

https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/vehicle-services/buying-and-selling-your-vehicle/selling-your-vehicle lists the things you do need to do.  "Provide a temporary plate to buyer" isn't on that list.
View Quote
Yeah, they print their own temporary plate.  They have to pay, that is what it is all about.

A couple times I left the plate so the buyer could get home without hassle.  I did immediately go to the MVD site and kill the registration and canc my insurance.  That way you get back any remaining funds for the year and your insurance can't be held liable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, they print their own temporary plate.  They have to pay, that is what it is all about.
View Quote

This.  Take your plate, take your money, hand them the keys and the title.  Have a nice day.

"Byeeeeee"
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
For those few of us that still have treasured maroon license plates, this thread really matters!
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For those few of us that still have treasured maroon license plates, this thread really matters!
View Quote

I still have a copper/gold tone with green letters plate from my first car buried somewhere in the garage.
I'd love to get that back on a vehicle but I doubt the state would permit it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first two cars had those.  Ugly but everything from the before time was better, even the plates.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I still have a copper/gold tone with green letters plate from my first car buried somewhere in the garage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can use old plates in limited circumstances. First thing is that the number needs to be "open"(ie not assigned a registration). You can check plate numbers on the MVDs website.
Most common usage for old plates is using a Year of Manufacture plate, such as a 1966 issued plate on a 1966 manufactured vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top