Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2021 1:25:26 PM EDT
Inherited my grandparents house and land, talked to his neighbor who want's to buy it.

What's the best way to go about this sale?

Anyone know of what kind of taxes i'll be hit with?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
How long have you owned it,  do you live in it at all,  when did your grandfather pass away?  Also do you the ability to live in it for 2 years if you have not lived in it after you owned it?

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long have you owned it,  do you live in it at all,  when did your grandfather pass away?  Also do you the ability to live in it for 2 years if you have not lived in it after you owned it?
View Quote

I've owned it since Aug 2020, he past in Dec 2018. I currently don't live it, nor have the ability to live in it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've owned it since Aug 2020, he past in Dec 2018. I currently don't live it, nor have the ability to live in it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is it worth more or less then when he passed away?
View Quote

About the same, land price went up value on house went down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

About the same, land price went up value on house went down.
View Quote

Depending  on how you answer all the above questions I asked above will help determine what you may owe on taxes.

Here is a quick article to tell you what your looking at.
https://www.realtor.com/advice/sell/profits-sale-inherit-a-house/

Sounds like your case may be a little more complicated then what this article goes over because you have land and a house not just a house

What ever you do hire a actual CPA not something like HR block to help you with this.

Also hire a lawyer to help with the sales paperwork.  Don’t use a realtor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Our last business transaction, I think was crafted by a lawyer, realtors charging commission didn't enter into the picture, because it was essentially already sold.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold my Dad’s house in less than a year so it maybe a bit different for you.  The only capital gains tax is the difference between what it was worth when you inherited it and what it is worth when you sell it. For me the difference was zero.  There are some other things that figure in but don’t remember right now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
if you inherited it, you can take advantage of the stepped up basis in value that biden is trying to get rid of.  

basically if your grandfather bought it for $50k and it was worth $200k at his time of death, you would get it for the $200k valuation.  if you sold it for $205k, you would only pay $5k in taxes for capital gains.

if he sold it before his death, he would be responsible for the taxes on the gains, there wouldn't be any for a homestead of that value though.

i would definitely hire a real estate attorney that can do the title work.  he can draft the paperwork to sell to the neighbor for you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i would definitely hire a real estate attorney that can do the title work.  he can draft the paperwork to sell to the neighbor for you.
View Quote

Split the attorney's fees 50/50 with your neighbor, and set up a meeting where the three of you can work out the details.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Split the attorney's fees 50/50 with your neighbor, and set up a meeting where the three of you can work out the details.
View Quote

+1 to that, saves on the commissions and everyone has the peace of mind that the deed was transferred properly and a title search done to make sure there's no liens on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
if you inherited it, you can take advantage of the stepped up basis in value that biden is trying to get rid of.  

basically if your grandfather bought it for $50k and it was worth $200k at his time of death, you would get it for the $200k valuation.  if you sold it for $205k, you would only pay $5k in taxes for capital gains.

if he sold it before his death, he would be responsible for the taxes on the gains, there wouldn't be any for a homestead of that value though.

View Quote

Correction for the part in red, he meant you pay the taxes only on the 5k in capital gains.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife is a real estate agent and the market is crazy now. We have driven from waller to huntsville to dayton in the same day to show houses. Seems like most stay on the market for less than a week and they get sold. Now is the time to sell if you want to make some money on it. IM me for her info if you want a agent to sell for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top