Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 3:36:00 PM EDT
Just moved here so vehicle is registered out of state. Going to be selling probably at a dealership to make things easier and quicker. Anything I should know about in Illinois when selling especially when selling an out of state vehicle?
I have printed the "Sellers notice of sale" & a "Bill of Sale." Anything for sales tax?
Want to make sure I'm not going to end up getting screwed on taxes or registration fees after I sell for some reason or on the actual sale price because they have to pay for the registration.
Vehicle is a 2008 Suburban.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You just sign the title over to them and they pay you, that's it.

Sales tax only comes into play when you purchase a vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
New law Jan 1 2020
If you trade in to a dealer,you have to pay a tax on that auto or truck your trading in.
Welcome to the shithole state.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New law Jan 1 2020
If you trade in to a dealer,you have to pay a tax on that auto or truck your trading in.
Welcome to the shithole state.
View Quote
No, you don't pay a tax on your trade in.

You used to get a sales tax credit for 100% of your trade in value, now the tax credit is limited to $10K of trade in value.

Pickups, etc. are exempt from the new limit. They still get full credit, same as always.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thx guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top