Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2020 2:57:44 PM EDT
Hi everyone. Can I sell a pistol P80 kit to a CA resident.?

From my research I came across a thread online that said that it's not possible to legally build a semi auto pistol in CA form a kit. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi everyone. Can I sell a pistol P80 kit to a CA resident.?

From my research I came across a thread online that said that it's not possible to legally build a semi auto pistol in CA form a kit. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
View Quote

I believe at this point it is still legal to build from a kit, the person doing the build would have to file DOJ paperwork to get an S/N.

CA does have a law to make such kits illegal, but I don't think it is in force yet. It has a delayed enforcement that changes things over time.

The last CA gun show I went to had lots of P80 kits and other 80%s. But things are changing quickly over time, we have various legal challenges, new laws, etc.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently, it's legal to buy and possess a P80 kit. However, doing anything else is a bit more difficult. California law regulates self-manufacturing of firearms, including a requirement of applying for and being issued a serial number from the California Department of Justice. Slightly problematic as part of that process is engraving the serial number on 3.7 ounces of 17-4 stainless steel that is embedded in the polymer frame. Also problematic is that a self-manufactured handgun must comply with all of the safe handgun roster requirements, including microstamping. And then on top of that, starting in 2022, "firearm precursor parts," which probably includes any 80% receiver will be treated like a firearm and have to be transferred through a Californian gun dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top