Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2020 10:28:37 AM EDT
Hello all.

Good news - I landed a new job and will be moving out of Mass, into PA.  

Work will be physically in KoP ... if and when things settle down a bit.

You know the area, you live in PA, you know the politics, best gun shops, and ranges.  I spent Monday afternoon driving around to get a rough idea of some neighborhoods.

I'm in my later 30's, single, and will be making a good solid wage.  Not looking to buy a house for at least a year.

So - any advice?

Best regards,

Ben

NRA instructor
USAF vet
General raconteur
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Start with a place in or near KOP before you buy while you're getting to know the area.  When you get to buying time, look elsewhere and deal with the commute.  Prices are going to be higher in that area and you'll be living on top of your neighbors.  Yes, a longer commute will suck, but if you can deal with some more commute time, look further out and you can get more space for your dollar.  

Ranges?  No idea. I'm about an hour from KOP, I can just barely see my neighbor's house.  I have a 100 yard range on my property just steps from my deck. I'd take that commute everyday to live here rather than closer in to the 'burbs.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
There's not much happening in the KOP area when you're 30's and single.   I know a few people that do the reverse commute from Philly to burbs for work.   Look into the Ardmore,  conshohocken, Manyunk area to live since it would be in the middle between Philly and KOP.  

I live in University City and belong to Lower Providence Rod and Gun and University Rifle in Reading.   LP is limited to 100 yard rifle, pistol bays, shotgun and archery.  They are strict but extremely safe.  University has rifle targets out to 550 yards.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Matches within 2 hours:

Lower Providence has monthly USPSA, IDPA
New Holland -- USPSA, 3Gun, Gas Rifle, PRS
University Rifle -- Check their calendar
Topton -- 3G, Glock matches
Ontelanuee -- USPSA, 3Gun
York -- 3Gun, USPSA
Chester County -- USPSA, steel challenge
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of the worst traffic in the tri-state area but also lots to do.

My favorite gun store isn’t exactly convenient to KoP but worth the drive. Tanners Sport Center, follow their Facebook page for pop up sales.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok ... if not KoP, where?

Thanks for those of you who have made suggestions, I appreciate it.  

Thrilled to

a. move back out of Mass  and

b. have something of a fresh start
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Traffic is just part of life nowdays unless you're working from home.  Working from home blows.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Phoenixville, West Chester, etc.

WC is going to be about a 30 minute commute and it will fucking suck coming home at rush hour.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to PA!  Yes, that area is highly-congested and traffic on some of the main roads is beyond a nightmare.  You're probably no stranger to it, though.

There are a number of great areas within 30 miles of KOP.  Depending on your tolerance for commuting on the PA Turnpike, an hour commute could conceivably allow you to live all the way into Central Bucks county to the East, and at least an equal distance North and West.  

I live in Central Bucks, just outside of Doylestown, and my wife works in Malvern.  This is further west than KoP but look at the map and it should give you a good frame of reference.  Early morning, ahead of rush hour traffic, she can make it to the office in under 45 minutes.  If she hits the "5:00 peak traffic," with the very common accidents on the turnpike, she'll have anywhere from a 60-90 minute drive home.

Personally, I'd avoid Southeast of KoP, toward Philly.  Go North/Northwest/West.  There are a good mix of affordable to very affluent areas all over there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd suggest moving to the Upper Bucks County area, where I am.  Housing is cheaper for someone like you, and the politics are generally better.

The only downside is if 476 has an accident, your commute is borked.

Going further west toward the Downingtown, Morgantown area is also an option.

Welcome to the area, King of Prussia is a great place to shop, eat, meet people once everything gets back to normal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Do NOT go to Tanners, unless you have money to burn!  I can rarely get out of there without buying a used gun.  Good selection and always priced to move.  Their new gun inventory is good as well.

Local to K of P, is Kings Shooter's Supply, especially for reloading supplies or cast bullets (which is how Roger got his start.  good guy to deal with and built his business from the ground up.  Handles NFA items as well.

think about kids, and schools, before planting roots.  Methacton isn't what it used to be.

Moving West of K of P, real estate would be less expensive, but you likely have to deal with the commute and the dreaded 422.  Maybe you can flex your hours at work a bit.

Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club (LPRGC) is a very good club, offering indoor/outdoor archery ranges, and an outdoor archery course.  2 indoor pistol ranges, outdoor pistol and rifle ranges (100 yard max if I recall).  Trap every Friday, trap clinics on Wednesday.  Pistol club, archery club, trap club.  Key card entry to the grounds.  LPRGC is like marriage and any other institution, you get out of it what you put into it.  You will not find a better club, smack dab in the middle of suburbia.  it's 10 minutes from K of P.  

I've lived in Delaware, Chester, and Montgomery counties.  I prefer Chester and if you could get into the West Goshen/East Goshen or surrounding areas, you're 10 minutes from Exton, 10 minutes from a train to Philly, 20 minutes to Delaware (tax free liquor and shopping), 15 minutes from K of P, except during rush hour of course.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I live just NW to the KOP area.  A lot of good range suggestions listed on here already by poortrader.  We've prolly been at the same 3gun matches if you shoot around here.

Phoenixville
Collegeville
Trappe
Schwenksville
Gilbertsville

As mentioned already, this direction leaves you with commuting on 422 which can suck depending on the time.  You can get some decent prices on homes depending on the area.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live just NW to the KOP area.  A lot of good range suggestions listed on here already by poortrader.  We've prolly been at the same 3gun matches if you shoot around here.

Phoenixville
Collegeville
Trappe
Schwenksville
Gilbertsville

As mentioned already, this direction leaves you with commuting on 422 which can suck depending on the time.  You can get some decent prices on homes depending on the area.
View Quote

I've been shooting open for the last couple of years -- Peter P.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the area!  For all intents and purposes I have lived in the KoP area most of my life, with pit stops in Ca, NY, and Philly. I absolutely love the area. I currently live 5m from the KoP mall but live in a quiet neighborhood adjoining woods and my parents have lived 10m away for 50 years.  Within 30 mins you can find completely urban, completely rural, upper crust snobby, horse farms, trailer parks, and pretty much everything in between.  Not to mention some of the best gun laws in the country.  Now if we could only get a new governor....

There are a number of great gun clubs and gun shops within easy drives, some of which have been mentioned above but there are dozens of others depending on what you're looking for. I'd be happy to provide you any information you require or answer any questions. Feel free to PM me any time and I will
give you my contact information.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all.  I'm in Conshohocken.  

Seems like an excellent place to be, with several alternates if my boss manages to tank the entire team.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all.  I'm in Conshohocken.  

Seems like an excellent place to be, with several alternates if my boss manages to tank the entire team.
View Quote
Look up Denis Todd for Class III goodies.
He sold me my M16A1 waaaaay back when.

He's a Member of the Good Guy Club.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top