Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2021 11:14:42 AM EDT
Nothing really actionable right now.  Also not trying to insult anyone's intelligence as I know people are staying up to date on these things.  Just posting for visibility.  

So we all know that one of the first steps here is the rep/senator will request for a bill to be written by way of a Legislative Service Request(LSR).  Since September 13, there have been 847 LSRs submitted with 32 of them being withdrawn.  There is obviously some duplication of LSRs as several pols want the same thing.  This year, there is the predictable screeching about the supposed “abortion ban”, a bunch of screeching about mandates/vaccines, and a lot of bipartisan efforts to legalize marijuana.  Maybe Sununu will sign.  Remember there fellow gun enthusiasts that it is still federally illegal.
As a note, we really won’t know the entirety of their intent until the drafted bill is available.

Some of the interesting ones:

This probably ain’t good, but I don’t see it flying.

Fuck these two people if they want ranked choice voting:

This is a good one and a reattempt at HB334 that SnuSnu vetoed.  While I liked Guida’s intent last year, his execution by adding the entirety of SB141 into HBB334 vs simply adding the speed up was a little off.  That and NHFC stuck their dicks in the pot and stirred shit up.

I don’t like the looks of this:

Sometimes we bitch about pols wasting time, but this one is a chuckle:

How to read them:

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I just like nerding out on the General Court site and staying informed on it.  I try to make a habit of checking the house and senate calendars at least once a week to see if there is anything I may want to chime in on or watch(for session days).
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Anti gun bill introduced:

HB1096 AN ACT prohibiting open carrying or display of a deadly weapon within 100 feet of a polling place.

ETA:  If this passes, this doesn't restrict concealed carry.  Here is a problem-there is a slight difference between open carry and OWB concealed carry.  I guarantee some non gun guy cop will start hemming people up for OWB concealed carry if this BS passes.  

While I'm not an open carry person or the type of person that is going to run around in public "displaying" a firearm, this bill needs to be squashed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good post.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#5]
More nerdery.

The Senate got to add their bills, so now we're up to 875 LSRs that haven't been withdrawn.  155 of those have recently had a bill# assigned to it and the bill text is available.

I use a firefox add on "distill" to check the GC LSR page once every 12 hours for a new entry of the word "text".  This tells me when a new bill is available to read.  Drawback is it doesn't highlight the added bill, but I can check obn some of the things I'm interested in.

While I would likely doubly benefit by way of being a veteran and a "cOmBaT vEtErAn" from HB 1056, I don't support it.  Leave well enough alone and quit carving out niches for people.  

Another one I don't support is HB 1017.  Threatening someone is already illegal, but when you go to the referenced list of essential workers even folks like florists are essential.  Gimme a break.

I'm patiently waiting for this likely slippery slope of a bill to be released.

eta, the new GC site is kind of less than awesome
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
HB1178

AN ACT prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Let's see if we can prevent the senate from fucking it up again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Reactionary opportunists.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

best part is they apply it to people driving by

Then the cutesy little "rights preserved"  in 159:31.  Hey we preserved your rights by stomping all over them with golf cleats.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What a bunch of bullshit
View All Quotes

If that passes, which I doubt it will, I have a rubber duck AK that I can troll them with.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]

I guess full military honors funerals, and the VFW guys marching in a parade will be out
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The New OHRV Bill is out:

It still doesn't allow long guns.

HB1636 AN ACT relative to prohibitions on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV or snowmobile.

SPONSORS: Rep. Burt, Hills. 39; Rep. Stapleton, Sull. 5; Rep. Hopper, Hills. 2; Rep. Silber, Belk. 2; Rep. True, Rock. 4; Rep. Nunez, Hills. 37; Rep. Hill, Merr. 3; Rep. Kelsey, Hills. 7; Rep. Folsom, Graf. 11; Rep. Kofalt, Hills. 4; Sen. Giuda, Dist 2; Sen. French, Dist 7; Sen. Avard, Dist 12
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I suspect there are a lot of old Fudds in management down at NH F&G. They seem to be stuck in the 1930s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HB1636 AN ACT relative to prohibitions on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV or snowmobile.

SPONSORS: Rep. Burt, Hills. 39; Rep. Stapleton, Sull. 5; Rep. Hopper, Hills. 2; Rep. Silber, Belk. 2; Rep. True, Rock. 4; Rep. Nunez, Hills. 37; Rep. Hill, Merr. 3; Rep. Kelsey, Hills. 7; Rep. Folsom, Graf. 11; Rep. Kofalt, Hills. 4; Sen. Giuda, Dist 2; Sen. French, Dist 7; Sen. Avard, Dist 12
I suspect there are a lot of old Fudds in management down at NH F&G. They seem to be stuck in the 1930s.

Yeah, F&G needs to get out of my life if I'm not hunting or fishing.  Just because I have a loaded long gun doesn't mean I'm going to pop a turkey from my ATV.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, F&G needs to get out of my life if I'm not hunting or fishing.  Just because I have a loaded long gun doesn't mean I'm going to pop a turkey from my ATV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NH Fun & Games are a bunch of tyrants and need to seriously have their attitudes checked hard. They're the reason I don't fish or hunt anymore for well over the last 2 decades. You meet one of them and you seriously feel like you need a shower.

Guilty until you can prove yourself innocent is 100% how they operate. That and they nickel and dime you for everything, "want to fish that? well that's $xx more, want to hunt that and those.....? That's $xx more...... but you can only fish this in these zones on a Tuesday if it's raining and hunt these on the 3rd Wednesday if it's sunny"

I loved to hunt and fish in my youth (my first deer was a 215# buck and I made the states "trophy buck" list at 16) but for a long time it's been cheaper and I feel far less raped just letting my local butcher do it for me. I grew up in a hunting and outdoors large family, as kids we lived in the woods and hunting and fishing was our way of life. I've never taken any animal illegally or more importantly, in an unethical manner.

Like all idiots in power they sit there and scratch their heads wondering why their customers are dwindling and hate their fucking guts......

I love the wildlife in this state and absolutely feel that poaching and unethical killing of it is wrong but Fuck NH Fish and Game. They are the worst of our LE community in this state.

ETA and the loaded long gun prohibition in any vehicle needs to be appealed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ETA and the loaded long gun prohibition in any vehicle needs to be appealed.
View Quote

+1 to your whole post, which is a shame as like all organizations they do have some good people and do some good things.

The loaded rifle in vehicles things is another prime example of F&G overstepping.  My reps here are hot garbage so I'm not going to write to them.  Perhaps if this bill gets out of the house as is, I might send Guida a note.  The place I'm building a house in has an R rep on the F&G committee, so he might be worth harassing once I move.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The definition of loaded was changed a few years back see,
Definitions, Inclusions, Methods of Taking, Etc. Section 207:1

XIV-a. Loaded: A round or projectile in the chamber fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger.

Meaning a loaded magazine locked in place under an empty chamber is lawful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

XIV-a. Loaded: A round or projectile in the chamber fully dischargeable by pulling the trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legit good info.  Thanks for the link and cite!

Still my unloaded rifle is an expensive paperweight and why does F&G care about my rifle when I'm not hunting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Legit good info.  Thanks for the link and cite!

Still my unloaded rifle is an expensive paperweight and why does F&G care about my rifle when I'm not hunting.
View Quote

Because the NH Fish and game department is run by anti gun, anti freedom activists.  Just watch the TV Show northwood law to see all the civil liberties violations.  It is terrible.  And this is a good bill to support to limit the warrantless abuses.....

HOUSE BILL 1091     AN ACT relative to search warrants for individuals engaged in fish and game activities.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because the NH Fish and game department is run by anti gun, anti freedom activists.  Just watch the TV Show northwood law to see all the civil liberties violations.  It is terrible.  And this is a good bill to support to limit the warrantless abuses.....

HOUSE BILL 1091     AN ACT relative to search warrants for individuals engaged in fish and game activities.

View Quote

Saw that when it came out and wholeheartedly support the dialing back of some of F&G's police powers.

Northwoods Law made me pretty much hate F&G as an organization as they are out there messing with people enjoying themselves.  Somewhat of a shame as they do have some good people and do some great things.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Background check bill is out. How about fuck no!

HB1668 AN ACT requiring a background check prior to any commercial firearm sale.

ANALYSIS
This bill requires commercial firearms sales or transfers in this state to be subject to a criminal background check and provides a criminal penalty for a violation. The bill excludes private, noncommercial sales or transfers between individuals, provided neither individual is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under state or federal law.

159-E:1 Definitions. In this chapter:

I. “Commercial sale” means a transfer of ownership of a firearm, including but not limited to, a sale, exchange, or gift.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Background check bill is out. How about fuck no!

HB1668 AN ACT requiring a background check prior to any commercial firearm sale.

ANALYSIS
This bill requires commercial firearms sales or transfers in this state to be subject to a criminal background check and provides a criminal penalty for a violation. The bill excludes private, noncommercial sales or transfers between individuals, provided neither individual is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under state or federal law.

159-E:1 Definitions. In this chapter:

I. “Commercial sale” means a transfer of ownership of a firearm, including but not limited to, a sale, exchange, or gift.
View Quote

I've always tried to keep up to date of the RSA's but this bill is fucking gibberish. I need to do some research and follow up for the linked thread at the header of this forum but reading your post I'm like "WTF?" and that's not meant towards you, I provided the links for a lot of the NH RSA's years ago in a tacked thread at the top of this forum.

The RSA's were very clear before. commercial sales fell under federal (FFL) rules/regs.
Private sales were long guns no guidelines, handguns were "person known to you" or have current NH pistol license. If those weren't there then FFL transfer.

FFL rules require long guns can be private sale across state lines but handguns were FFL transfers.

If anyone knows of NH RSA changes and federal guideline changes that need to be followed please post them for our mods to change that original thread, it's vital we all keep these up to date!
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Two more bills that seek to change your daily life and increase your costs while shopping.  The Ds are busy.

1. HB 1471  AN ACT to eliminate single-use plastic carry-out bags.

SPONSORS: Rep. Toll, Ches. 16; Rep. Labranche, Hills. 22; Rep. Welkowitz, Ches. 4; Rep. Perez, Hills. 23; Rep. Hyland, Hills. 38; Rep. Massimilla, Graf. 1; Rep. Meuse, Rock. 29; Rep. Grassie, Straf. 11; Rep. Egan, Graf. 2; Rep. Kenney, Straf. 6; Sen. Watters, Dist 4

ANALYSIS

This bill prohibits the distribution of single-use carry-out plastic bags to a customer, subject to certain exceptions.

I personally think reducing our waste is a great thing to explore.  I don't think bill goes at it the right way.  Reusable bags are an option, but many are not easily washed and become nasty quickly.  Washing them also increases grey water waste.  You could use paper bags, but paper bags suck to carry and this bill's sponsors want to charge people AT LEAST 5 cents per paper bag.  Now there is a retail establishment size limit that seeks to punish those shopping at larger stores and possibly drive business to small places, but I doubt it will have that effect-prices and variety at larger stores are that much better.

Perhaps instead of taxing the populace and making life difficult for consumers, look at incentivizing biodegradable single use bags.  They are not perfect, but they exist.  What is the solution?  Surely it isn't charging people for paper bags.

Some key cites from the bill:

I.  Except as otherwise provided in this subdivision, beginning January 1, 2023, a retail establishment shall not provide a single-use carry-out bag to a customer at the point of sale or otherwise make single-use carry-out bags available to customers.

149-M:64  Recycled Paper Bag Fees and Reusable Plastic Bag Fees; Exemptions.

I.  Beginning January 1, 2023 a retail establishment may use a recycled paper bag or a reusable bag made of plastic to bag products at the point of sale as long as the retail establishment charges a fee of at least 5 cents per bag.

2.  HB 1642:  AN ACT relative to the recycling of beverage containers.

SPONSORS: Rep. Egan, Graf. 2; Rep. McGhee, Hills. 27; Rep. Tucker, Coos 5; Rep. Massimilla, Graf. 1

ANALYSIS

This bill establishes the beverage container deposit recycling program and directs the proceeds of such program to the general fund and to the state recycling fund.

This is a 10 cent per can/bottle deposit similar to Maine/Mass.

I read an article by Rep Egan(one of the sponsors0 who thinks this will combat the littering problem.  My question is has he ever been to another state with a bottle tax and compared NH to that state?  We don't have a real littering problem.

Some thoughts based on experience growing up in a state with a bottle bill:

1.  Redemption centers are nasty bug filled smelly places.  You don't want them anywhere near your supermarket, store, or neighborhood.  

2.  Redemption is also inconvenient and wastes space.  Most places will not take crushed or dented cans.  I crush my aluminum cans so as to save space in the recycling bin.  

3.  Recycling in most towns is already easy.

4.  This 10 cent per container gives the state an interest free loan from consumers and is essentially another tax.  A 30 pack of Miller Lite is going to cost $3 more.  

5.  This bill requires businesses to buy and install redemption vending machines.  Essentially putting the nasty redemption process in your supermarket and can you imagine the line.

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Contact the House House Fish and Game and Marine Resources Committee, urge passage of HB 1091
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Contact the House House Fish and Game and Marine Resources Committee, urge passage of HB 1091
View Quote

Here are the members:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?id=28

Email addresses are available at the link to each member's bio.  Ensure you also CC the clerk.  

Mr Craig is a good poster over on NES.  Ms Harvey is an anti hunting nut that stole magazines from the committee's office.

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just read that article at the link. Harvey sounds like a classic liberal nut job. Seems like she has gotten herself onto the F&G Commission in order to sabotage hunting.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in an emailing mood for this and a couple other bills(it's chilly out).  Anyone have a good articulate reason that I can tell folks as far as 1091?  I don't think my "The twig pigs needs to get reeled in" will come across too well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm in an emailing mood for this and a couple other bills(it's chilly out).  Anyone have a good articulate reason that I can tell folks as far as 1091?  I don't think my "The twig pigs needs to get reeled in" will come across too well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fourth Amendment for starters. If the state and local police are required to obtain a warrant, then why wouldn't the environmental police be also?

ETA: Don't insult them. That doesn't help persuade them to vote in our favor.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Fourth Amendment for starters. If the state and local police are required to obtain a warrant, then why wouldn't the environmental police be also?

ETA: Don't insult them. That doesn't help persuade them to vote in our favor.
View Quote

Good one in bold.

and, no not insulting.  i can be tactful when need be.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

GOA has given you all you need:

https://newhampshire.gunowners.org/01102022/

and their pre-written message:

Gun Owners of America told me that HB 1091 has been introduced to stop the massive civil liberties violations committed by Conservation Officers.  

Conservation Officers should not be allowed to search private citizens without a warrant and using the very low burden of proof known as reasonable suspicion.  HB 1091 will force Conservation Officers to show probable cause and obtain a search warrant, just like every other law enforcement officer in New Hampshire.

The TV show "Northwoods Law" has shined a spotlight on abuses committed by Conservation Officers. HB 1091 is a modest bill that will put a stop to the worst of the worst of the civil liberties violators at the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.

Please vote HB 1091 "ought to pass" without any amendments or changes.  Gun Owners of America will keep me informed about your vote.  Thank you,
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

GOA has given you all you need:

Stop the thuggery at NH Fish and Game

and their pre-written message:

Gun Owners of America told me that HB 1091 has been introduced to stop the massive civil liberties violations committed by Conservation Officers.  

Conservation Officers should not be allowed to search private citizens without a warrant and using the very low burden of proof known as reasonable suspicion.  HB 1091 will force Conservation Officers to show probable cause and obtain a search warrant, just like every other law enforcement officer in New Hampshire.

The TV show "Northwoods Law" has shined a spotlight on abuses committed by Conservation Officers. HB 1091 is a modest bill that will put a stop to the worst of the worst of the civil liberties violators at the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.

Please vote HB 1091 "ought to pass" without any amendments or changes.  Gun Owners of America will keep me informed about your vote.  Thank you,
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#34]
If you do use the GOA link, I recommend changing it up a bit.  

GOA will make it easy, and you'll be counted as supporting the bill, but the spamming of reps is likely annoying.

ETA:  Mr Craig posted this "GOA put out a link. I've had 325 emails from all over the country about 1091, every one of them identical except for the name.  They're not helping when they do that."  I agree.

here is that committee's group email in case you want to create your own message.  [email protected]

I just fired one off while adding later commentary about a few other F&G annoyances.  RSAs 215-A:20, 215-C:35, and 207:7
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
ETA:  Mr Craig posted this "GOA put out a link. I've had 325 emails from all over the country about 1091, every one of them identical except for the name.  They're not helping when they do that."  I agree.
View Quote

Agreed. I always edit the GOA emails. Nobody likes being spammed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually just got a supportive response which also thanked me for not using the template.    As much as I dislike the new GC site, the availability of the committee distro list is useful.  

I've got a few more emails to write.  The bottle bill is up in committee soon, racked choice voting as well.  I need to look up the plastic bag ban bill for that date.  The OHRV carry bill doesn't have a date yet to be heard at the committee, but I'll probably send a note on that and its flaws too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Besides the email, you can also support this via the calendar.

Click on calendar.

Click the F&G committee.  

Note date and time and bill number.  Click remote sign in.

Date, drop down for the bill, member of public, myself, I support, then continue through the prompts.  It is not anonymous.

End result:

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
HB1652 in the environment and ag committee the 18th is a good one to oppose.  10 cent bottle bill.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I hit the 1052 one also

Its merely changing in writing what they already do from what I understand

allowing mags of greater than 6 rounds to be used and not be in trouble so long as you only have 6 rounds

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hit the 1052 one also

Its merely changing in writing what they already do from what I understand

allowing mags of greater than 6 rounds to be used and not be in trouble so long as you only have 6 rounds

View Quote

Good call.  That is another good one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#41]
If anyone isn't following on NES, HB1091 almost got killed in committee yesterday.  

It is still alive in the F&G committee and instead is going into an "Interim Study".  I'll guess they'll take the majority and minority opinions toss them in a pot and talk about it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If anyone isn't following on NES, HB1091 almost got killed in committee yesterday.  

It is still alive in the F&G committee and instead is going into an "Interim Study".  I'll guess they'll take the majority and minority opinions toss them in a pot and talk about it?
View Quote
Interim study is a soft kill. Since this is the second year of the full session, the full session ends as this year's session closes in June. Therefore, no studies will be taking place.

They'll just have to try again next year.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Interim study is a soft kill. Since this is the second year of the full session, the full session ends as this year's session closes in June. Therefore, no studies will be taking place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disappointing.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Not gun related, but CACR36 is likely worth chiming in on via the remote sign in support this bill thing.

Senate Committee for Senate Election Law and Municipal Affairs. 31 January at 1PM.

O'BRIEN: Eliminating Election Day Voting Tourists - NH Journal

State Sen. Regina Birdsell has filed legislation that would amend the New Hampshire Constitution to ensure that only citizens of the United States and citizens of New Hampshire can vote in our state’s elections. This legislation, referred to as Constitutional Amendment Concurrent Resolution (CACR) 36, would simply replace the present language in the New Hampshire Constitution that says state “inhabitants” can vote in our elections. Instead, it would read:

“All elections are to be free, and every person who is a citizen of the United States and a citizen of the state of New Hampshire, and 18 years of age and upwards shall have an equal right to vote in any election. Every person shall be considered a citizen of the state of New Hampshire for the purposes of voting in a town, ward, or unincorporated place where that person is domiciled and has primary residency.”
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Interesting bill. How would that affect the zillions of non-resident college students who, in the past, have been free to vote in NH elections because they "live" here?
View Quote

I don't think it would as they meet the definition of resident in the state.   I haven't looked to see if "primary domicile" is defined anywhere in NH election law.

I think HB1574 is a useful backdoor way to apply leverage to the university systems whose employees encourage their students to vote locally.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've never understood how non-resident college students were considered to be residents when they had out of state drivers licenses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've never understood how non-resident college students were considered to be residents when they had out of state drivers licenses.

Same.  As with most young adults living in a state that is not their own, they should vote absentee in their home state.

Seems like NH has a special carve out for students though.  https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXIII/654/654-mrg.htm

654:1 Voter; Office Holder. –
I. Every inhabitant of the state, having a single established domicile for voting purposes, being a citizen of the United States, of the age provided for in Article 11 of Part First of the Constitution of New Hampshire, shall have a right at any meeting or election, to vote in the town, ward, or unincorporated place in which he or she is domiciled. An inhabitant's domicile for voting purposes is that one place where a person, more than any other place, has established a physical presence and manifests an intent to maintain a single continuous presence for domestic, social, and civil purposes relevant to participating in democratic self-government. A person has the right to change domicile at any time, however a mere intention to change domicile in the future does not, of itself, terminate an established domicile before the person actually moves.
I-a. A student of any institution of learning may lawfully claim domicile for voting purposes in the New Hampshire town or city in which he or she lives while attending such institution of learning if such student's claim of domicile otherwise meets the requirements of RSA 654:1, I.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Same.  As with most young adults living in a state that is not their own, they should vote absentee in their home state.

Seems like NH has a special carve out for students though.  https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXIII/654/654-mrg.htm

View Quote
As an escapee from the gulag known as Massachusetts, I recall the annual town census form stating that if your child was attending college/school out of town/state that the parents should make sure to include them on the census form as a resident of their parents' location. Since that is what MA uses for the voter rolls, doing that entitles them to vote in their MA town either in-person or absentee.

That makes for a setup where they can vote in two locations. Not a good situation for NH.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As an escapee from the gulag known as Massachusetts, I recall the annual town census form stating that if your child was attending college/school out of town/state that the parents should make sure to include them on the census form as a resident of their parents' location. Since that is what MA uses for the voter rolls, doing that entitles them to vote in their MA town either in-person or absentee.

That makes for a setup where they can vote in two locations. Not a good situation for NH.
View Quote

I would love it if MA purged their voter rolls to get me off of there.

I haven't voted in MA in ages, been registered in multiple different states, and I still got a random call from someone in town last year at my phone number from 3400 miles away from said town I grew up in asking me to support something at the town meeting.

If we can keep an R majority in the 22 elections, we might able to fix some of the student vote issues.  I think CACR36 and HB1574 is a start at tightening things.  

Judging from other social media outlets, if we simply legalized weed, I bet a lot of kids wouldn't bother voting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top