Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 10:40:18 PM EDT
I've done fairly well financially and I'm looking for a change of pace.  Looking to go semi-retired until my various retirement vehicles start paying out.

Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks:  I imagine they have high seasonal employment to keep up with the tourists and maintenance?  Anybody know anything about working/hiring at those parks?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would imagine they are all posted on usajobs.gov
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done fairly well financially and I'm looking for a change of pace.  Looking to go semi-retired until my various retirement vehicles start paying out.

Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks:  I imagine they have high seasonal employment to keep up with the tourists and maintenance?  Anybody know anything about working/hiring at those parks?

Thanks.

I would imagine they are all posted on usajobs.gov

IIRC all the Lodges ect, are run by outside contractors not the .gov
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you do/what is your skill set?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Glacier Park is prettier.

Use to be less known but is now getting overrun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most of those are filled by foreigners
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC all the Lodges ect, are run by outside contractors not the .gov

Most of those are filled by foreigners

Yeah.  I was in Yellow Stone two summers ago.  The lodges were like Cruise Ships, all the service people were from overseas.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do you do/what is your skill set?
View Quote

Been in management/the Transportation industry the last 15 years, but not necessarily looking for a management or transportation job.

I could hew wood and draw water for a while and the break would probably do me good.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Been in management/the Transportation industry the last 15 years, but not necessarily looking for a management or transportation job.

I could hew wood and draw water for a while and the break would probably do me good.

View Quote

Understood. I'm looking for a part time construction superintendent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have any packing skills the USFS Rocky Mountain Ranger District is currently flying a horse/mule packer. This is a 13/13 permanent seasonal position. Spend all summer restocking fire lookouts, supporting remote fires all over the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. It will be a dream job for the right person.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have any packing skills the USFS Rocky Mountain Ranger District is currently flying a horse/mule packer. This is a 13/13 permanent seasonal position. Spend all summer restocking fire lookouts, supporting remote fires all over the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. It will be a dream job for the right person.
View Quote

I saw that.  Never packed a mule team before but I might apply anyway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be a drinking from a firehose situation.  There is a lot to packing and taking care of your animals.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the Norman MacLean story, “USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Cook, and a Hole in the Sky,” then back slowly away from applying for that job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Maybe back in the 80's & 90's but all that's changed with declining budgets in all US Land Management agencies, and increased contracting of Park Service concessionaire services.

I'd suggest starting out with your local city/county parks dept to build up a resume in that area.

And don't go near a pack string job since you don't have any experience.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Read the Norman MacLean story, “USFS 1919: The Ranger, the Cook, and a Hole in the Sky,” then back slowly away from applying for that job.
View Quote

Noted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Noted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted.

And don't skip Logging and Pimping and "Your Pal, Jim".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top