Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2022 1:20:00 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good source of scrap lead at a reasonable price in the Montgomery area?

.45 casting eats lead FAST!
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
As a new 45-70 shooter, this thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested also. All my local sources have dried up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My suggestion would be to make friends with the manager of your local scrap yard.  I used to have one next door to me and they were great about letting me dig through the Gaylord boxes full of different scrap stuff.  He'd sell me anything I wanted at whatever they were currently paying, and I got some damn good stuff.  One time I went up there and some dude had just sold them a complete 5 gallon bucket full of brand new bullets.  All different calibers, several hundred of each, just dumped into a bucket and sold for scrap.  I think that was the same day I picked up nearly 1000 pieces of brand new primed 41 Magnum brass someone had scrapped.  Probably the same methbilly if I had to guess.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If you do eventually locate some and you shoot on a private range, you really need to invest in lead trapping targets. At least you will be able to recycle most of the spent lead. Simple lead trapping can be done by suspending steel plate inside of old tires. Lead spatters on the plate and most spall ends up inside the tire. That is what i have.

The lead inavailability situation will only get worse.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a pile from a tire store years ago. Not sure if wheel weights are still lead or not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a pile from a tire store years ago. Not sure if wheel weights are still lead or not.
View Quote

Wheel weights are actually a good, hard casting alloy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several 1lb lead ingot’s I would sale if interested in Trussville
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top