Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2019 9:55:48 AM EDT
I have a job opportunity that may have me looking to relocate to WI in February.  Specifically the Richfield area but I'm willing to commute 50-100 miles for the right town.  I'd prefer to be more in town/suburbs than out in the sticks.  Areas to avoid?  I'm in and out of the area so I already know it's fucking cold.  I'll be keeping TX as my official residence for now.  This is more of a third home for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I moved from Texas to WI about 7 years ago.

If you choose to change your residence, your car insurance will be half in WI. Registration is the same. Some counties have inspections. State income tax is the down side.

Texans think they can drink...they don't hold a candle to WI on that!

There's no whataburger
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Yeah, TX car insurance is nuts but the tax savings are way worth it.  I drive for Millis so I'm in BRF and Richfield at least once a week.  The only way I get back to DFW is if I ask for a run and I don't take much home time down there.  Looks like a lot of good hunting and fishing in the area.  If it pans out, I'd bring my 20' Duckworth back to fish Lake Michigan.

In the short term, I'd like to just rent a room in the Milwaukee area and get a feel for the place so if anyone knows of a room for rent, I'd be much obliged.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texans think they can drink...they don't hold a candle to WI on that
View Quote
No kidding!  It's staggering the amount of beer I haul in WI
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you choose to change your residence, your car insurance will be half in WI. Registration is the same. Some counties have inspections. State income tax is the down side.

There's no whataburger
View Quote
I will second this. Moved up here in 2011.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's no whataburger
View Quote
Whataburger is no match for Culver's.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no whataburger
I don't know how Whataburger's prices are, but I feel like I need to take out a second mortgage if I take the entire family to Culvers. And heaven forbid if anyone wants to upgrade to cheese curds (they always do)!
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know how Whataburger's prices are, but I feel like I need to take out a second mortgage if I take the entire family to Culvers. And heaven forbid if anyone wants to upgrade to cheese curds (they always do)!
View Quote
Their prices are in line with everyone else. Wife and I go there for lunch occasionally if we're in Rhinelander or Antigo shopping. Usually $15-20 for both of us. It costs about the same at Pizza Ranch, Hardees, or Arbys. And Culvers has the best food.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Yeah, TX car insurance is nuts but the tax savings are way worth it.  I drive for Millis so I'm in BRF and Richfield at least once a week.  The only way I get back to DFW is if I ask for a run and I don't take much home time down there.  Looks like a lot of good hunting and fishing in the area.  If it pans out, I'd bring my 20' Duckworth back to fish Lake Michigan.

In the short term, I'd like to just rent a room in the Milwaukee area and get a feel for the place so if anyone knows of a room for rent, I'd be much obliged.
View Quote
Wisconsin is an outdoorsman's paradise. Amazing fishing, deer hunting, turkey hunting, Duck and Goose hunting, etc. If you like the outdoors, you'll love it here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Their prices are in line with everyone else. Wife and I go there for lunch occasionally if we're in Rhinelander or Antigo shopping. Usually $15-20 for both of us. It costs about the same at Pizza Ranch, Hardees, or Arbys. And Culvers has the best food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I find $20 for a meal for 2 people at a fast food joint to be expensive. I've always been frugal though, so maybe it's just me. I have 4 kids, so taking the entire family out to any place like Culvers gets expensive fast. It is nice to get a big, greasy double-cheeseburger from there once in a while, but man do I pay for it an hour later.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not gonna call Richfield Milw.
You have a lot of towns in the area.

Liqour taxes are lower.
Shall issue CCW.
Different pace of life.
Shovel snow.
More public land than TX.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#14]
We will be building in Richfield in a year or two. It’s a great community.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I guess I find $20 for a meal for 2 people at a fast food joint to be expensive. I've always been frugal though, so maybe it's just me. I have 4 kids, so taking the entire family out to any place like Culvers gets expensive fast. It is nice to get a big, greasy double-cheeseburger from there once in a while, but man do I pay for it an hour later.
View Quote
Yeah unfortunately that's what fast food has come to. Nothing cheap about it anymore.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not gonna call Richfield Milw.
You have a lot of towns in the area.

Liqour taxes are lower.
Shall issue CCW.
Different pace of life.
Shovel snow.
More public land than TX.
View Quote
Fuck shoveling snow.  I have a vacation home in Yuma
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

kwik trip for the win
View Quote
KT is awesome.  I'd run WI regional and shovel snow just to never have to spend another night at a TA or Petro.

But god damn you guys have some homely looking women.  WTF?  Do they just live on cheese curds, vodka, and beer?  Dallas is PACKED with smoking hot women.  Looks like It's boiling down to do I want to hunt turkey, deer, birds, and fish or do I want to get laid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

On the bright side you only have to find one

And honestly I would take hunting and fishing over women any day
View Quote
I'm getting that way myself.  Flying down to Mexico every three months helps take the edge off
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
KT is awesome.  I'd run WI regional and shovel snow just to never have to spend another night at a TA or Petro.

But god damn you guys have some homely looking women.  WTF?  Do they just live on cheese curds, vodka brandy, and beer?  Dallas is PACKED with smoking hot women.  Looks like It's boiling down to do I want to hunt turkey, deer, birds, and fish or do I want to get laid.
View Quote
Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wisconsin is an outdoorsman's paradise. Amazing fishing, deer hunting, turkey hunting, Duck and Goose hunting, etc. If you like the outdoors, you'll love it here.
View Quote
STFU.

It sux here, .... and we're full.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

STFU.

It sux here, .... and we're full.
View Quote
... and the womenz is fugley. Nothing here, move on.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm just a couple miles north of Richfield in the Town of Jackson. IM me when you get into the area. I'll take you out for a whiskey and a Wisconsin fish fry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any concerns about your employment since Millis just sold out?
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any concerns about your employment since Millis just sold out?
View Quote
I'm not worried about it short term.  We're hoping that it will allow us to run out west instead of wearing a groove between Atlanta and Richfield.  So far we are being told that it will be three years before there are any changes.  If I am still in trucking in three years, my life plans have gone drastically wrong
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Texans think they can drink...they don't hold a candle to WI on that
Good pun worthy of WI
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about it short term.  We're hoping that it will allow us to run out west instead of wearing a groove between Atlanta and Richfield.  So far we are being told that it will be three years before there are any changes.  If I am still in trucking in three years, my life plans have gone drastically wrong
View Quote
Lots of trucking jobs here.  I drive a redi mix truck and make more than most of my OTR friends.  And I'm home every night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top