Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2018 6:48:02 PM EDT
Are there any folks on ARFCOM that are members at Scarborough Fish and Game?

Recently lost access to one of my preferred spots to shoot and I think it's time to look for something with more to offer. I'm particularly interested in being able to reach out a bit further with my rifles.

Looking for pros/cons, any insights into the membership process, etc.

Feel free to PM if you'd rather keep it private.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not a member but was able to visit this summer as a guest.

I would describe SF&G as a range complex rather than just a range--this is a very nice facility. There are ranges for pistol, rifle, shotgun, long range/high power (600y), action pistol, etc. with nice, high berms and lots of covered shooting benches. They have a range map on their website: http://www.scarfg.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/RangeMap

I won't speak to becoming a member as I have not done it myself but this process is also described on their website: http://www.scarfg.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/MembershipApplication
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I've got the info from the website but I'm hoping someone on here has actually been through the process and become a member.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read from other members that using the 600 yard range requires you to prove you can safely shoot at closer ranges (they want to know that you won't accidentally shoot over the berm when adjusting your scope), and that they can be a bit authoritarian re range rules.

I'm not a member, and have not been there, so I may be wrong. I'm also curious, though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Just read there site , fuck that !!

These people are the ultimate range Nazis!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
To bad you weren’t closer to Augusta. The range i go to is pretty relaxed unless you do some dumb stuff. Most of the time i go im either alone or with maybe a couple others on tje weekends. When i have my Monday off ill go and see all the state police/sheriffs hogging the pistol range haha.

It does only go out to 200yds unfortunately but they do have a 24/7 small caliber/pistol indoor range.

Sorry to hear theyre range nazis.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been a member there for about 5 years. I kinda disagree with the ‘range nazis’ characterization.

No, It’s not cousin Bub’s sand pit in Cornville where you can have a free for all because there’s a thousand members and it’s in a residential area. Only time I ever had an issue was on one of the utility ranges with a buddy who did a transition from rifle to pistol while backing up real quickly. We were politely reminded that shooting & moving has to be done in the IDPA bays. It was all good.

The benches are solid and covered, not real busy, and the 600 range is great.

I think it’s a bit expensive though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve been a member there for about 5 years. I kinda disagree with the ‘range nazis’ characterization.

No, It’s not cousin Bub’s sand pit in Cornville where you can have a free for all because there’s a thousand members and it’s in a residential area. Only time I ever had an issue was on one of the utility ranges with a buddy who did a transition from rifle to pistol while backing up real quickly. We were politely reminded that shooting & moving has to be done in the IDPA bays. It was all good.

The benches are solid and covered, not real busy, and the 600 range is great.

I think it’s a bit expensive though.
View Quote
@wyatt1

Did you know anyone there to sponsor you when you joined? Or did they match you with a sponsor?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@wyatt1

Did you know anyone there to sponsor you when you joined? Or did they match you with a sponsor?
View Quote
I went to a membership meeting and they hooked me up with a sponsor. It was very easy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have gone on open weekends several times and to a few shooting events that were hosted there.  Very nice facility and the staff were very friendly.

To echo the comment above about range safety - the range is a big property with thick woods around the perimeter, but it does abut many single family homes.  The range is very cognizant of needing to remain good neighbors to avoid complaints and trouble.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to check this place out.

I used to go upto steep falls, but got shut down.

Scarborough is a lot closer anyway.

The indoor 25 yard ranges get kinda boring after a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top