Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2023 3:18:33 PM EDT
Traveling to NM and would like to purchase some religious items.  Any recommendations as to good sources?  Leaning towards good quality artisanal items, not garage sale schlock.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Any particular artists in mind?

I can probably help put you in touch with them.

My mother helps run the Spanish Market.

outside of Market season I don't know which galleries they would be at but your best bet is probably commissioning something from an Santero who's work you like.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
AgeOne -

You have the right idea, I seek Spanish Market quality items. I’m not familiar enough with the artists to commission something. In a perfect world, I’d find a gallery that showcases artists along these lines.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AgeOne -

You have the right idea, I seek Spanish Market quality items. I’m not familiar enough with the artists to commission something. In a perfect world, I’d find a gallery that showcases artists along these lines.

Thanks for the response.
View Quote

I sent my mom a message asking if she knew of any galleries that soley do Spanish Colonial arts.

I know SCAS has a lot of stuff on display from current and past artists. Its a museum not a gallery.

Your probably gonna wanna visit there.

https://www.spanishcolonial.org/
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
EXCELLENT resource.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EXCELLENT resource.  Thanks again!
View Quote

No problem.

I talked to my mom last night. she said the best gallery in SF is going to be Owings Dewey.

but, most Santeros either have small home galleries or only show at the various markets.

Hopefully what you see at SCAS will give you an idea of the kind of art and artist you're looking for.

FWIW, NM history museum is another great spot.
https://www.nmhistorymuseum.org/visit/
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I greatly appreciate your time on this.  I don’t check my IMs too often, but let me know if I can help you regarding:

- Good books;
- Recipes generally; or -
- BBQ particularly.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem man.

happy to see anyone interested in what little is left of our Spanish colonial culture, as its constantly torn down for being "evil" while more and more mexican culture is mixed in and pushed in its place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top