Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2018 11:09:35 AM EDT
The guys in Florida get together to do a SPR match every 3 months. This is something that I would be interested in doing in Michigan.

Does anyone know if there is something like this already?

If not, would anyone be interested in trying to start one?

Are there any ranges that reach out to 400 - 500 yards?

Edit:
I'm going to try to tag some people that I can think of that might be interested @Engel12626 @Ryan1572
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Got my attention, lol.

Besides MTC in Lake City, the longest range I know of has just 300 yards.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my attention, lol.

Besides MTC in Lake City, the longest range I know of has just 300 yards.
View Quote
Yeah, I couldn't really think of any good ranges for it. Maybe MTC would be willing to host something like that.

I guess northern Indiana or Ohio wouldn't be a bad drive if they have a good range for it. Maybe I'll post in their HTF forums to get an idea. The tough part will be finding a range that would allow it.

Edit:
I really have no idea what kind of interest we could get... hopefully enough. I would be willing to let people run it with my rifle lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess northern Indiana or Ohio wouldn't be a bad drive if they have a good range for it. Maybe I'll post in their HTF forums to get an idea. The tough part will be finding a range that would allow it.
View Quote
There is this place right across the Indiana border, only 2 hours from me in Lansing. http://www.youngslongshot.com (edit- maybe not, looks like a members only kind of place)

But yeah it all depends how many people are interested, a few people is easier to accommodate than dozens of people.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#4]
BWSA is 600yds and does a good amount of black rifle stuff.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up! I will check it out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Midland has 100, 200, 300, 600 yard, but I haven't shot there in over a decade and don't know their current policies.

South Kent Sportsmans Club had out to 500 yards IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]
After watching the TV series Long Range Reality, it appeared that most matches were held on large tracts of private land, like a ranch or farmland.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be interested but I'm in Mackinaw City.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Midland has 100, 200, 300, 600 yard, but I haven't shot there in over a decade and don't know their current policies.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Quoted:
After watching the TV series Long Range Reality, it appeared that most matches were held on large tracts of private land, like a ranch or farmland.
This would be much shorter distances, so a range would be fine. A ton of private land would be a lot better though.

Quoted:

I would be interested but I'm in Mackinaw City.https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif
You would be able to drive down for it. I'm only thinking 2-3 matches per year.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Kalamazoo Rod and Gun Club has two more 200 yard SPR/sniper matches scheduled this year.

Scopes and bipods allowed. Very casual but fun. No rear bags alowed.

Five x2 rounds prone, five x2 kneeling or sitting and five x2 standing.

Stools with shot bags are your support platform when not shooting prone with a bipod.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kalamazoo Rod and Gun Club has two more 200 yard SPR/sniper matches scheduled this year.

Scopes and bipods allowed. Very casual but fun. No rear bags alowed.

Five x2 rounds prone, five x2 kneeling or sitting and five x2 standing.

Stools with shot bags are your support platform when not shooting prone with a bipod.
View Quote
Good to know. Any more info on this? Date, time, cost, etc. I would definitely be interested in attending.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good to know. Any more info on this? Date, time, cost, etc. I would definitely be interested in attending.
View Quote
Kalamazoo Rod and Gun has a website with all tournaments open to the public. Fees and dates with times are posted for every event. Non-members pay a slightly higher fee.

I believe the next sniper style tournament is scheduled for Saturday July 21 @ 9:00 a.m.k
I'll be RO for one of the relays.

Always check the calendar to confirm dates and times.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
July 21, 2018, 9:00 a.m., 7533 North Sprinkle Road, Kalamazoo, MI
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is this place right across the Indiana border, only 2 hours from me in Lansing. http://www.youngslongshot.com (edit- maybe not, looks like a members only kind of place)

But yeah it all depends how many people are interested, a few people is easier to accommodate than dozens of people.
View Quote
I hold a membership there and asked about running competitions. They said probably not, because they like having the club open 365 days a year without hassle. Which is not a bad rule...
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ask here:

https://www.facebook.com/BWSALR
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kalamazoo Rod and Gun has a website with all tournaments open to the public. Fees and dates with times are posted for every event. Non-members pay a slightly higher fee.

I believe the next sniper style tournament is scheduled for Saturday July 21 @ 9:00 a.m.k

View Quote
Thanks. Going to check that out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
They actually had a dmr match last year. It was a ton of fun. I wish they would have done it again this year.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They actually had a dmr match last year. It was a ton of fun. I wish they would have done it again this year.
I sent them an email to see if they had any plans for more in the future. I linked them to this thread as well. Are you a member there? Did they allow non-members to participate? I would expect to pay a fee as a non-member, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know what all you find out. I would probably go too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I sent them an email to see if they had any plans for more in the future. I linked them to this thread as well. Are you a member there? Did they allow non-members to participate? I would expect to pay a fee as a non-member, so that wouldn't be an issue.
View Quote
No i am not a member, just saw the post last year on migunowners and signed up that way. I think it was like 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No i am not a member, just saw the post last year on migunowners and signed up that way. I think it was like 30 bucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty sure BWSA allows non-members to participate in almost all of their special events. Even then, membership is $10/month.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty sure BWSA allows non-members to participate in almost all of their special events. Even then, membership is $10/month.
View Quote
I just heard back from someone at BWSA. They said they do not have anything scheduled this year, and they gave me the email for their Precision Rifle Director. I will reach out to him and see what he says.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
The Negaunee Rod and Gun Club does a 2 man Sniper Steel Challenge Match in August up in the UP. Link

I need to come into this forum more often.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Negaunee Rod and Gun Club does a 2 man Sniper Steel Challenge Match in August up in the UP. Link

I need to come into this forum more often.
View Quote
I'm definitely interested in doing this next year. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd be totally down for it. I have a mk12 Mod 0 clone, but without the scope. I've been way more concerned with buying guns, fearing a ban versus getting a scope for it. But I need to somehow save my money and buy one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd be totally down for it. I have a mk12 Mod 0 clone, but without the scope. I've been way more concerned with buying guns, fearing a ban versus getting a scope for it. But I need to somehow save my money and buy one.
View Quote
@ArmyInfantryVet what part of MI are you in? I'm near Lansing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@ArmyInfantryVet what part of MI are you in? I'm near Lansing.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20180627_184632-589277.jpg
View Quote

I am near Kalamazoo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I am near Kalamazoo.
View Quote
Not too far. I used to live over that way when I went to Western. I've been shooting at Young's Long Shot in Northern Indiana lately, but we wouldn't be able to do a match there. It's not a bad drive if you know a member to tag along with. It's a really nice range.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not too far. I used to live over that way when I went to Western. I've been shooting at Young's Long Shot in Northern Indiana lately, but we wouldn't be able to do a match there. It's not a bad drive if you know a member to tag along with. It's a really nice range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am near Kalamazoo.
Is that a 1,000 yard range? Sounds like a great place to Dope your gun.

Sadly, I still don't even have a proper piece of glass for my MK12.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is that a 1,000 yard range? Sounds like a great place to Dope your gun.

Sadly, I still don't even have a proper piece of glass for my MK12.
View Quote
It is. It's a really nice range and the membership is cheap. $300 your first year and $200 each year after that. They also have a nice John Deere crew cab Gator to drive down and back.

Here is a look through my Leupold mk4 at 1,000 at 8x. The top turret was maxed out and I was having to use mil holds. I was able to hit 900, but couldn't see where my bullets were hitting at 1,000.

And the mk12
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It is. It's a really nice range and the membership is cheap. $300 your first year and $200 each year after that. They also have a nice John Deere crew cab Gator to drive down and back.

Here is a look through my Leupold mk4 at 1,000 at 8x. The top turret was maxed out and I was having to use mil holds. I was able to hit 900, but couldn't see where my bullets were hitting at 1,000.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20180818_181710-726902.jpg

And the mk12
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20180818_181645-726908.jpg
View Quote
@sbye

Were you using a mk262 load?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@sbye

View Quote
@armyinfantryvet just 77gr MagTech ammo and 77gr IMI Razorcore. I have to shoot more of the MagTech, but I think it might shoot a little better out of my gun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@armyinfantryvet just 77gr MagTech ammo and 77gr IMI Razorcore. I have to shoot more of the MagTech, but I think it might shoot a little better out of my gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sbye

@sbye

So you think your gun like MagTech the most? Seeing as how every gun has it's own personality and prefers certain ammo of others.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@sbye

So you think your gun like MagTech the most? Seeing as how every gun has it's own personality and prefers certain ammo of others.
View Quote
I haven't shot enough MagTech through it yet to determine. I will have to get back to you on that. Might be Spring lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top