Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2020 11:12:56 AM EDT
Like hiking while carrying heavy things in good company? This is the Southern Nevada thread.

Have been rucking as part of my workouts for a couple years and enjoying the results. Found a GD Thread started by @Ben . Thought it looked interesting.

Intent is to start group hiking with locals from Southern Nevada (greater Las Vegas area).

Details:
(water/food weight not included)
Pack 35# with rifle dry
Or
Pack 45# without rifle
Distance 6 miles in 2 hours or less. Minimum is 3 miles per get together, total is 18 miles in 3 movements in 90 days or less. Pace 3 miles per hour (20 minute mile) or faster.

Interested to go?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Hike #1

7 March 2020 (this Saturday) - meet 0645 in parking lot. 0700 start walking. No entry fee, free parking. Show up, put on pack, get some miles. [START TIME OPEN TO DISCUSSION]

Historic Railroad Trail- Lake Mead

Distance: 7.5 miles round trip. Hike all or part as you desire.
Intended pace is 16-20 minutes per mile

Recommended:
45# pack dry (before food/water)
1-3 liters water - water fountain around mile 2/5.5 for refill
snacks
comfortable shoes (preferably broken in [not new!])
Spare socks (1-2 pair)
Comfortable clothes
Hat
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Gold bond powder

Don't want to carry weight and just come for a hike? You're welcome to come out!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Reserved
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I sure don't think NPS is going to be pleased with a bunch of dudes hiking Railroad trail towards the dam with rifles and heavy packs.

Sounds fun otherwise, I'll watch for one I can make.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sure don't think NPS is going to be pleased with a bunch of dudes hiking Railroad trail towards the dam with rifles and heavy packs.

Sounds fun otherwise, I'll watch for one I can make.
View Quote
Haha yeah, figured as much about the rifle being no go. No rifle just means 45# pack.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
We'll likely join some of these provided i can get the mrs up that early on a sat
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
@obo2
Hadn't considered the start time, I wake up early naturally and forgot weekend sleep in is a thing.

Open to moving back an hour or two
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Have fun guys - when I lived down south, that was a regular hike when we had kids along or people of various abilities.  It would be a great baseline hike for those rucking with weight for the first time (or those for whom it may have been a while).  Looks like they have improved the trail over the years with signage, benches, etc.

Here is a detailed description for those wanting to know more (birdandhike is an amazing resource for exploring NV):

https://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/LAME/Railroad/_Railroad.htm

Not to derail the thread - but if anyone is interested in a Northern NV Reno area hike, maybe we could start another thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@obo2
Hadn't considered the start time, I wake up early naturally and forgot weekend sleep in is a thing.

Open to moving back an hour or two
View Quote
likely just as good to get in the habit as the days grow longer and temps creep up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Couple hours out, 7 confirmed attendees.

On the fence? Come out, even without a ruck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
1st hike success, 8.5 miles in 2:48:00. Just under 20 minutes a mile average with rest stops. Garmin didnt get total distance, verified on other devices.

3 carried 45# rucks, JohnStoner, TrojanCosta, Seagean - the rest came for a brisk hike and good views.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I like that the graph kinda looks like the dam.

I think I died
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Another hike soon. Interest in an evening excursion?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Hike #2

25 April 2020 (this Saturday) - meet 0645 in parking lot. 0700 start walking. No entry fee, free parking. Show up, put on pack, get some miles.

Historic Railroad Trail- Lake Mead

Distance: 6 miles round trip. Hike all or part as you desire.
Intended pace is 16-20 minutes per mile

Recommended:
45# pack dry (before food/water)
1-3 liters water - water fountain around mile 2/5.5 for refill
snacks
comfortable shoes (preferably broken in [not new!])
Spare socks (1-2 pair)
Comfortable clothes
Hat
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Gold bond powder

Don't want to carry weight and just come for a hike? You're welcome to come out!

No Dam trip this time as access won't be available due to circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Debating hitting this on saturday. My pace may be a bit slower based on my recent hikes but that could also be skewed base on the fact that my home trail has a 600 ft elevation gain in 1/4 mile and that takes me a while with stops.

Anyone interested?  not sure the time, but it looks like it'll be windy. hunting season is coming up and i need to wear out the soles of my boots and my belly.

also anyone in mtns edge im trying to do m w f hikes in the desert around starr ave around 4/430 PM.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#15]
In case anyone missed this in the news.  Not saying anyone here would be involved in this.   Just sharing, hope that's okay Mr FBIman .

ETA:  The paper makes it sound like some Antifa types infiltrated the group in question.

Undercover work described

The transcripts described how the informant went on hikes with boogaloo members to get acquainted,https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/boogaloo-informant-reveals-how-he-helped-fbi-infiltrate-las-vegas-group-2069071/
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In case anyone missed this in the news.  Not saying anyone here would be involved in this.   Just sharing, hope that's okay Mr FBIman .

ETA:  The paper makes it sound like some Antifa types infiltrated the group in question.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Undercover work described

The transcripts described how the informant went on hikes with boogaloo members to get acquainted,https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/boogaloo-informant-reveals-how-he-helped-fbi-infiltrate-las-vegas-group-2069071/

Or it was another group all together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top