Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2021 6:54:38 AM EDT
Reminder to those who forgot or who didn't know. SLFU will supposedly shut down today at 3pm for system migration. No firearm transfers will be authorized and no pistol permits will be processed during this shutdown according to the notice.

https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms

Special Licensing and Firearms
Please Note: IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT IN THE MONTH OF JULY, THE SPECIAL LICENSING AND FIREARMS UNIT WILL BE CONVERTING TO A NEW DATABASE AND BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM.   IN ORDER TO TRANSITION, SLFU WILL SHUT DOWN TO TRANSFER OUR DATA INTO THE NEW SYSTEM.  THE SHUTDOWN WILL OCCUR ON FRIDAY, JULY 9 AT 3:00 PM AND WE WILL REOPEN ON TUESDAY, JULY 13 FOR REGULAR HOURS.  THEREFORE, FIREARM TRANSFERS WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED AND PISTOL PERMITS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I just mailed my renewal in 20mins ago

Thanksgiving??  Maybe Christmas??
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Not surprised. Apparently it will be shut down tomorrow (7/13/21) too for "database testing".

The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU) will be closed on Tuesday, July 13, 2021, for continued database testing. Firearm transfers will not be authorized during this time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
As expected, this project has been a total clustercluck.  From what I've heard from a couple of dealers, this will not be sorted out fully anytime soon.  

Expect LONG delays and/or unsuccessful attempts to even get through for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told a guy quit over it, put in his retirement papers on Monday after the training began. So now they are now down another person.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Did anybody expect this to go smoothly? Remember the DMV switchover from a few years back? That was a total mess.

Hire the low bidder and expect top notch work. IT people are like weatherman. They are never right and their forecasts are always way off.

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told a guy quit over it, put in his retirement papers on Monday after the training began. So now they are now down another person.
View Quote

If Derdrie quits we're screwed.

But seriously I suspect most of us expected this to happen, for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Stop whining ya little bitches!  Ya don't need to buy a gun you can't find ammo for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Have transfers started back up again?  A dealer friend of mine said they are still stopped.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have transfers started back up again?  A dealer friend of mine said they are still stopped.
View Quote

Apparently not. Supposedly the entire system is down again at least for today according some posting elsewhere (Reddit and CTGT).
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Got through yesterday, on one of the new numbers actually. Took 50 minutes of calling with 4 phones.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got through yesterday, on one of the new numbers actually. Took 50 minutes of calling with 4 phones.
View Quote

And you guys think the state is try to make it difficult. You got through the same day.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And you guys think the state is try to make it difficult. You got through the same day.
View Quote

I tried for just under 2 weeks to make a transfer. Staying for hours multiple days.
There are ways for the state to speed this up. This process was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I tried for just under 2 weeks to make a transfer. Staying for hours multiple days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's clearly intentional.

Do you think they would let Section 8 or Welfare have these kinds of delays?

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't this a violation of the Interstate Commerce Clause or something?  What a shit show.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isn't this a violation of the Interstate Commerce Clause or something?  What a shit show.
View Quote

How is it a violation of that? Since the state governs the entire firearm transfer and permitting system nothing is crossing state lines for the feds to having their fingers on.

Ultimately however, any honest person knows its a violation of not only CT's Article I, Section 15 but is also a violation of the 2nd Amendment. Cannot keep and bear arms if the state prevents you (intentionally) from obtaining those arms. Where the fed courts do have authority though is due to the SCOTUS Chicago opinion applied 2A to the states (via the 14th Amendment Privileges or Immunities Clause if I remember that opinion correctly).
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

A judge should rule that after X unsuccessful attempts to contact the state you are fully and legally authorized to TRANSFER.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How is it a violation of that? Since the state governs the entire firearm transfer and permitting system nothing is crossing state lines for the feds to having their fingers on.

Ultimately however, any honest person knows its a violation of not only CT's Article I, Section 15 but is also a violation of the 2nd Amendment. Cannot keep and bear arms if the state prevents you (intentionally) from obtaining those arms. Where the fed courts do have authority though is due to the SCOTUS Chicago opinion applied 2A to the states (via the 14th Amendment Privileges or Immunities Clause if I remember that opinion correctly).
View Quote

If a firearm isn't made in CT, and the State is impeding the sale indefinitely, then maybe that's impeding interstate commerce?  I was just wondering because I know that if there is a robbery and something produced out of state is stolen, like a Rolex, the Feds can come in and take over under interstate commerce.  It happened in several cases when I was serving on a Federal Grand Jury.  Maybe it's not the same thing.  Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If a firearm isn't made in CT, and the State is impeding the sale indefinitely, then maybe that's impeding interstate commerce?
View Quote

The state is, generally, slow walking or preventing the sale/transfer that is taking place between CT residents or from a CT business to a CT resident. The firearm manufactured out of state lands with the CT FFL or comes in with a person who moves to CT. Only then when a transfer attempt is made within the state is where the issues arise. If the state was blocking the (CT legal) firearm from reaching the CT FFL, then there may be a solid argument for interstate commerce issues where the feds could potentially get involved. Lets be honest here, no way will the Biden administration dip their toe into this issue and side with CT gun owners. Biden/ATF have no problem with CT slow walking or blocking firearm transfers. Quite often the only time the Feds/ATF get involved is when states pass pro 2A laws that defy ATF rules or Fed rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top