Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2019 7:53:18 PM EDT
This is text from an email from the USSC.

PMAA Range in Parley's Canyon to be shut down by SLC March 4th.

Please attend City Council Meeting Tuesday, Feb. 5th and urge the Council to keep range open.

We need everyone to attend the Salt Lake City Council Meeting on Tuesday, Feb 5th at 7:00PM.
The meeting location is:

Salt Lake City & County Building
451 South State Street, Room 315

The Police Mutual Aid Association Range (PMAA Range) located off I-80 in Parley's Canyon has been in business for 50 years and is the only long range shooting facility in Salt Lake County (800 yards).  It also has a pistol range, shotgun range and archery facilities.

The range is owned by Salt Lake City and is currently leased to the PMAA.  The lease expires on March 4th, and the PMAA is not renewing their lease.

There are proposals to form a non-profit to renew the lease and continue range operations.  The USSC met with the chief of staff for the Salt Lake City Mayor's Office last October and presented him with a straight forward proposal to lease the range back to a non-profit.  The range would be run by the non-profit board of directors who would have the range fully insured.  The range would be operated at very little or no cost to the City.

Since our meeting we have had no communications from the city as to what they intend to do with the range.  They will not return our calls or communicate with us.

If you want to keep this range open, you need to attend this meeting.  We need a mass turnout to show the City that it is not just a couple of shooters who use this range.  Last year they had over 10,000 public users of the facility.

The PMAA range not only serves civilian but also law enforcement and military.  Among others, the range is used by the DEA, local police, SWAT teams, and the U.S. Army.  In addition many individual officers and soldiers use this range on their own time to maintain proficiency.  This is a benefit to the entire community.

Please see below for more information.

What to expect and what to do at the meeting

The following was taken from part of an e-mail sent out by the Utah Polite Society.

Attire: Business casual, khaki pants, shirt with collar, jacket

The Press attends these meetings and we need to be seen in the best light.

Process for Public Comments

1) Fill out a Yellow Card that will be available for making public comment.
2) You will have 2 minutes to address the Council on the card topic.
3) Be polite, respectful, and avoid making any demands or veiled threats
such as…well, we are gonna sue or see you at the ballot box!
4) Practice your remarks at home with at two-minute timer.
5) Write out your remarks on a 3X5 card and stick to your script.
6) When addressing the Council members, say…Council Chair Luke, or
Councilman/woman Johnston.
7) Thank the Council for hearing your remarks and that you look forward to favorable resolution — the existing Parley’s Canyon Shooting Range will stay open to the the Public!

OUR SHARED GOAL IS TO KEEP THE RANGE OPEN, IMPROVE IT, AND MAKE FRIENDS AT THE CITY COUNCIL — NOT ENEMIES.

Salt Lake City Council Info
https://www.slc.gov/council/find-your-council-member/
Under the heading  “Find Your Council Member” —
Use this website (map with district boundaries) to find your district.  Double click each of the council members name and you will get a short bio of each one.  It helps to understand them and maybe help them identify with you if you have things in common.

City Council contact name / district info:

James Rogers, Vice-Chair, District 1, 801 535-7723, [email protected]

Andrew Johnston, District 2, 801 535-7781,[email protected]

Chris Wharton, District 3, 801 535-7726, [email protected]

Amy Valdemoros, District 4, 801 535-7782, [email protected]

Erin Mendenhall, District 5, 801 535-7786, [email protected]

Charlie Luke, Chair - District 6, 801 535-7784, [email protected]

Amy Fowler, District 7, 801 535-7715

Talking Points for the City Council Meeting

-Our Range provides a community service for the public, government agencies and Utah businesses alike.

-There are 10,000 sign-ins yearly.

-The range is rented by multiple agencies, civilian and

government.

- The range supports Regional, National and International LEO

training.

-The Range is used for Research and Developmental testing for

local firearms industry manufactures.

Long cultural tradition in Utah for shooting sports and hunting

- Part of our pioneer fabric and heritage

-The family deer and elk hunt are a Utah sacred tradition

We provide a free service for many to include: many Hunter Safety

classes yearly, Teacher training, Church groups, First aid, US Military

training, Hogle Zoo and University of Utah training

We are a multi-faceted training facility which includes pistol, rifle,

shotgun and archery to include classroom facilities.

Our Range is the only long-distance shooting range (800 yards) left in

the county
- Important for safe and effective hunting
-Important for law enforcement training

Location, location, location - no public encroachment possible due to surrounding public land, and no complaints from the public about noise and safety issues

A long impressive track record of safe, friendly and efficient low cost operations.

We support multiple Utah sporting goods manufacturers and other businesses.

We have a long and impressive track record of safe, friendly and efficient low-cost operations.

Shooters will end up using BLM, US Forest Service and other public lands unsupervised – very risky during fire season.

Our current plan will actually improve the facility while providing all the current training options while remaining low cost to the public and no cost to the Utah taxpayer.

• We are concerned:

- We provided a plan October 2018 to the Salt Lake City Mayor’s

Office and have yet been told the status of our plan.

- We have not heard of any plan by Salt Lake City for the range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
SLC government is unlikely to support this plan. I wish you luck, but Biskupski, et. al, hate icky guns, and those who would own them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone who can get to the meeting really should.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads-up.

I didn't know about this.

I've used PMAA for many years, including many of the listed uses on the list.

I've run courses, done developmental testing, and recreational shooting there.

It's the only long range close to the Salt Lake Valley with their 800yd range up the mountain side.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The story made the news, which forced SLC to break their silence, and they said something to the effect that they didn't want a gun range there.   That's all I've heard.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard they were able to renew the contract. Can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heard they were able to renew the contract. Can anyone confirm?
View Quote
I spoke with Dave, and they did get their lease renewed.

BUT:

SLC also neutered them.  They're only able to be open Friday, Saturday, Sunday.   And no more shooting steel targets.  

Their web site is also gone now, IDK if that's related or not.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you referring to the steel targets at 200 to 800 yards?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I spoke with Dave, and they did get their lease renewed.

BUT:

SLC also neutered them.  They're only able to be open Friday, Saturday, Sunday.   And no more shooting steel targets.  

Their web site is also gone now, IDK if that's related or not.
View Quote
This is absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.  No steel targets of any kind.  I don't imagine that Dave is going to let people walk up the canyon and place their own targets, he told me a while back that they tried it, but people took too freaking long to hike up and back, and they had a few yahoos go out in the bushes to take a wiz, then come out screaming and hollering when nobody saw them and they ended the cease-fire.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes.  No steel targets of any kind.  I don't imagine that Dave is going to let people walk up the canyon and place their own targets, he told me a while back that they tried it, but people took too freaking long to hike up and back, and they had a few yahoos go out in the bushes to take a wiz, then come out screaming and hollering when nobody saw them and they ended the cease-fire.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, the first time I heard trouble was when Utah Shooting Sports Council sent out an alert that they might not renew the contract. So people showed up for this hearing. This sucks, there is no point of going there now. I used to go there to shoot 200 and 300 yards steel with my AR-15. What are other options besides the 1000k range in Carbon county?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
RIF
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]
RIF double tap
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow, the first time I heard trouble was when Utah Shooting Sports Council sent out an alert that they might not renew the contract. So people showed up for this hearing. This sucks, there is no point of going there now. I used to go there to shoot 200 and 300 yards steel with my AR-15. What are other options besides the 1000k range in Carbon county?
View Quote
There is the 3 Mile range up in Perry that has a lot of steel out to 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is the 3 Mile range up in Perry that has a lot of steel out to 1000 yards.
View Quote
Three Miles Creek? They are close for over half of the year which is why I didn't mention it. Until I get a 4x4 pickup truck, shooting on BLM lands is limited.
http://www.perrycity.org/three-mile-creek-gun-range.htm
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Dang this is the first I am hearing about this. It’s a really nice range and I took a few Travis Haley classes there last year. I went on the website to see if more are available this year and found this closure out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody have any additional info on what ended up happening? Looks like they did end up shutting it down?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anybody have any additional info on what ended up happening? Looks like they did end up shutting it down?
View Quote

Between the restricted hours, and the fact that you could no longer shoot at distance, I imagine SLC took away 90% of their business, and they just couldn't keep going.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top