Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2020 11:00:51 AM EDT
SIG SAUER Academy At Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club

Classes are being offered from Dec 2020 through Feb 2021.

Four handgun and two medical courses are scheduled with multiple weeks available for all but one of them.

The Volusia Gun and Hunt Club is located at 4845 FL-44, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168, which is between Deland and New Smyrna.
Or you can think of it as North NorthEast of Orlando off I-4, but closer to the coast than the middle of the state.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for SIG.  I am a member and RSO at the VCGHC but don't get any compensation if you take these (or any other) classes there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I am hoping to hit up the 103 class.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh shit. Thanks for the heads up.

Quoted:
I am hoping to hit up the 103 class.
View Quote
Same, or maybe the basic medical one. I haven’t done SIG pistol training but I’ve done years of MP pistol training courtesy of the USN, 102 sounds like a refresher of “A” school. I’ll have to check with them to see if my level aligns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
You able to take the 103 class without the other two? Sounds interesting. Let's see if I get my back ordered 9mm by then.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You able to take the 103 class without the other two? Sounds interesting. Let's see if I get my back ordered 9mm by then.
View Quote

Per their web page :

This course is Step 3 of 3 in our foundational handgun series. We strongly recommend  Handgun 102 or equivalent before you attend Handgun 103. The student MUST know and be able to demonstrate how to safely load, fire, and unload a handgun as well as have demonstrated competence in working from a holster and performing reloads.

Students failing to meet and maintain our safety requirements and/or who cannot meet and immediately demonstrate the minimum skills required for the specific class may be removed from training. Please ensure you have read through the class description and fully understand our prerequisites before registering.

Also called to confirm you can sign up for 103 without the other classes but as stated above  : The student MUST know and be able to demonstrate how to safely load, fire, and unload a handgun as well as have demonstrated competence in working from a holster and performing reloads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I am out.
Shouldn't have to provide SSN to take a class.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am out.
Shouldn't have to provide SSN to take a class.
View Quote

Agreed; same reason I'm out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed; same reason I'm out.
View Quote

@FB41
I would still send them an e-mail or call to let them know.
Hopefully if they get enough feedback they will make a change.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@FB41
I would still send them an e-mail or call to let them know.
Hopefully if they get enough feedback they will make a change.
View Quote

@JThompson- I'd rather say something in person next time I am working at the range.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
For that price and description, I would rather train with Bob Capps.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
i second that...Signal-0 rocks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been looking for some training for my wife.

Are there any slots for handgun 102 still available?
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been looking for some training for my wife.

Are there any slots for handgun 102 still available?
View Quote

The link is here:  https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/productdisplay/handgun-102-florida

Looks like 13 Dec is sold out.  The other 2 have openings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The link is here:  https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/productdisplay/handgun-102-florida

Looks like 13 Dec is sold out.  The other 2 have openings.
View Quote

That link is only showing the 13 Dec class.  Is there anyone I should email to sign up?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That link is only showing the 13 Dec class.  Is there anyone I should email to sign up?
View Quote

Maybe try a different browser.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I had the HANDGUN 102 class yesterday at VCGHC.  I really got a lot out of it and am looking forward to HANDGUN 103, next.

I didn't do the SSN/background check thing and they still let me take the class.

The instructors said that Sig Academy has already decided to add more classes and they will be year round and not just seasonal (winter).  I think it helps that several of their regular instructors are already local to the area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had the HANDGUN 102 class yesterday at VCGHC.  I really got a lot out of it and am looking forward to HANDGUN 103, next.

I didn't do the SSN/background check thing and they still let me take the class.

The instructors said that Sig Academy has already decided to add more classes and they will be year round and not just seasonal (winter).  I think it helps that several of their regular instructors are already local to the area.
View Quote

Awesome, glad to see that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How were you able to do that?
You can't fill out the form without first providing that info.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How were you able to do that?
You can't fill out the form without first providing that info.
View Quote

I still filled out personal info and uploaded a scan of my concealed carry card.

The part where you are supposed to do the "pre-screen" and it launches you to another website?  I just didn't do that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Also....the have ammo for the course!

$18 per 50rd box of SIG-brand FMJ.  ($0.36 per round is a deal now.)  They just charge the same credit card as was used to book the course.  They only had 9mm, but that is what everybody had in the class.

You don't have to buy their ammo, but even though I brought (and used) 250 rds of my own I still bought their ammo to replace what I used.

Bring a mag loader, but don't pre-load.  The drills are often with a specific number of rounds (we did 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, and 15rd mags).
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Going back through and it appears they may have changed the signup process as it looks like a CCW permit gets by having to do a background check.
Well, that sucks. The class i wanted is already sold out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, that sucks. The class i wanted is already sold out.
View Quote

The instructors said that they could see more classes out to April scheduled for Florida.  It's just not on their public website, yet.

More class types are being added with this, too.  There are supposed to be the "Skill Builder" (additional work on the prior classes drills before taking the next one) and HANDGUN 104 (Shooting-while-moving).  Probably some others.  I asked about carbine classes and was told they had to secure a guaranteed block of ammo before they could schedule it.  (Where is all the effing ammo going?)
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For that price and description, I would rather train with Bob Capps.
View Quote

Thanks... we do have a great time...

Does Sig do free deer burgers...lol. J/K I'm sure their training is good.

Maybe I can con the agency into sending me, I do need some "Continuing Education" credits.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#23]
SIG Academy just added 20+ more classes to the schedule, going out through the end of March.

Mix of more of the courses already scheduled and new courses of Handgun 104, 2 Skill Builders, another Red Dot class, and a specific Concealed Carry course.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SIG Academy just added 20+ more classes to the schedule, going out through the end of March.

Mix of more of the courses already scheduled and new courses of Handgun 104, 2 Skill Builders, another Red Dot class, and a specific Concealed Carry course.
View Quote

Nice, thinking about that red dot class assuming
1. My P320 FCG comes through so I can build the gun
And
2. There’s any 9mm left in America by that time
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually e-mailed them last week about Handgun 104 and was told there are no plans for that class.

ETA
After reading the class descriptions, I think the 103 class seems to be more of what I am looking for.
Not sure why these newly added classes are during the weekday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have ammo available at the class (9mm SIG brand FMJ).

It's optional to buy but they were selling it for less than current market rate ($18 per 50rd box) and just charged the same card as used to book the class.

The instructor didn't know if the price would go up in 2021 but said they wouldn't schedule a class if they couldn't provide ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's optional to buy but they were selling it for less than current market rate ($18 per 50rd box) and just charged the same card as used to book the class.

The instructor didn't know if the price would go up in 2021 but said they wouldn't schedule a class if they couldn't provide ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh. Smart move, lets them advertise some SIG ammo too. Thanks for the info.

I've only bought their 10mm defensive ammo but it's been pretty good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Based on the above I attempted to sign up using CCW permit but apparently you still need to provide the SSN.
How where you able to simply provide your CCW without having to submit your SSN?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok, I am a computer guy and it just wasn't that intuitive.

Went back and first created an account (uploaded CCW photo) then went through the same steps while logged in.
Going through this way and was able to register, but will wait to see if they come back indicating I didn't provide all necessary info.

The class/date I wanted was sold out but then 1 slot opened up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, that didn't take long.
Due to not providing SSN I can't take the class.

For those who claim they didn't provide one, did you just ignore that requirement and show up for the class anyway?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#31]
How did you get told you couldn't take the class?

I filled out a user profile.  
Signed up for the class.  
Looked at the 3rd party website to do the background check and just didn't do it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How did you get told you couldn't take the class?

I filled out a user profile.  
Signed up for the class.  
Looked at the 3rd party website to do the background check and just didn't do it.
View Quote

Ah, ok.
I did fill it out and just didn't provide the SSN.
It was reported to Sig who stated they were cancelling the class.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll be out there for this Sunday's class.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll be out there for this Sunday's class.
View Quote

Dress warm.
Hoping it warms up by the time the Feb classes roll around.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
The Feb 06 class will be interesting since the GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Federation) is having a 2 day match that weekend, too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Can anyone give deals on what is the difference between the Handgun 103 and the Skill Builder class?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I think Skill Builder 1 is more practice and execution of the drills from Handgun 103.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I did find this link which is general feedback from a person who has take a course.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/451105858/m/7390086444
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#39]
No idea how those getting to take the course are bypassing the background check.
They just dropped me from the class for not getting it done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top