Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/8/2020 6:58:12 AM EDT
Since this thread is growing, I'm going to start updating the OP with event details so they're a bit easier to find.

Next event scheduled for July 11th. Location TBD shortly.

This thread is in response to Rockhard13F (now Ben)'s challenge (found here) to get out and and get active networking and getting carrying heavy things. @brandon_ and @Dragon82 expressed interest in that thread, and I know there's a decent number of members in this area.  Who wants to join us?

I'll start out with a quick intro - I live in the Reading area and commute to the greater Philadelphia area for work.  I don't mind driving an hour or two to meet up with people, and occasionally will drive even 3-4 hours for stuff like this when I have the time, so exact locations don't really matter to me.  

I don't spend as much time outdoors as I should, so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that I'm missing, but I'm aware of trails around Hamburg, Nolde Forest, Mount Penn and French Creek. Obviously, most of that stuff is close-ish to me, but I'd prefer hearing suggestions that may be more convenient for others or better known to someone.

I have night vision (binos) and would love to spend more time using them, but I want to keep things open ended.

Who else is in, where are you, and what are your thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Lancaster county (Lititz).

I work 3rd shift so Friday/Saturday/early Sunday are my best times to work with, or mornings during the week.  If I have an event to get ready for I'll be in shape and ready for it.  If I don't have anything scheduled I get lazy.  That's where I am now.

I have a single, green PVS14 so I could do night time stuff.

We also have 70 acres of land (and access to like 100 more that neighbor us) in Clinton county.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have family in Lancaster County and I used to work in Brownstown.  I was just talking to someone about Lititz recently, but I can't remember who or why...

ETA: weekends are generally going to be the best for me, too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Chester county. I'd be interested in joining in
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Chester county. I'd be interested in joining in
View Quote
I don't have any NV tho :(
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't have any NV tho :(
View Quote
That's not a problem. We'll see how the group fills out, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of our events happen during daylight hours.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If I don't have work or other plans, I would be in. I am Lititz Lancaster County.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be with you in spirit.
Tentatively scheduled for knee replacement in April.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
NE Philly suburbs.
Have pvs15
Have guns
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My fat, out of shape (unless round is a shape) ass would be interested in some of this. I'm in Lower Bucks. Would be good to get out for a while when the jobs and kid allow..

Hey @macro what do you think about this idea?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My fat, out of shape (unless round is a shape) ass would be interested in some of this. I'm in Lower Bucks. Would be good to get out for a while when the jobs and kid allow..

Hey @macro what do you think about this idea?
View Quote
My fat out of shape ass really appreciates being called out

Yeah...count me in. As long as I have a little notice I'm good to go. These days I am way low speed high drag...but I am a big fan of endurance, lifting heavy things, meeting like minded folks, etc.

Yeah. Let's do this. I have a few ruck sacks and different back packs if anyone doesn't have one. I'd also be into backing into the woods, camping, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah...count me in. As long as I have a little notice I'm good to go. These days I am way low speed high drag...but I am a big fan of endurance, lifting heavy things, meeting like minded folks, etc.
View Quote
I have that hoodie
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I looks like there's a good bit of interest

This weekend, aside from Saturday night, is open for me, but that's really short notice. I'll be travelinf for SHOT the following two weekends, so I'm thinking the morning of February 1, but this doesn't need to revolve around me, or my schedule. I'm not great at planning this sort of stuff, so please throw suggestions out there!
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Interested - at least to the extent my schedule (and busted up knees) will allow.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Who wants to run the Broad Street Run and Philly Marathon with me this year??
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Definite NO on the marathon!

A weak "maybe you could convince me" on the other one, but I'm more of a 0.5 guy when it comes to running.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A weak "maybe you could convince me" on the other one, but I'm more of a 0.5 guy when it comes to running.
View Quote
Plenty of time to train!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's the "Couch to marathon" program?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I won't say on the internet where exactly I live, but my PO Box is in East York.

I also don't have NODs.

I would like to hang out. Hiking is cool. Ranges are cool. Beers are cool.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just do Cto5k 8.5 times
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marathon aint happening, but I'd sign up for a 5k and start prepping for that.  Baby steps
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Marathon aint happening, but I'd sign up for a 5k and start prepping for that.  Baby steps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a plan to me!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m in the pocono’s, would be interested in doing something
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]
So what's a location sort of central to everyone who's responded so far?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Is this dead? I am in Bucks county. Zero training and equipment, but I enjoy the outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I can do most Saturdays if I have some notice. I don't mind driving a bit if I have to either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Montco area here.
No NVG, but willing to stretch the legs.

After attending the Arf gathering in VA I realized how important the BB idea is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Adams County
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#28]
If anybody wants to meet up saturday, Im going to state gamelands 242 at 0800 to zero a new upper and train with my new edc.

If the new upper seems to work ill be going to freedom armory after that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm in NEPA Wayne/Lackawana county, but dont mind driving a couple hours to meet up.

Get my lazy ass in shape

I do work shift work and have weird days off and work evenings typically.  But I can work a "free double" and get a saturday off here or there if needed.

I do not have NODS but have plates and other equipment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]
If anyone is interested the 2020 Geissele Gas Gun Challenge kicks off this weekend at New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club (https://www.facebook.com/Geissele-Gas-Gun-Challenge-157362455077015)

I won't be able to make this first one, but I plan to go to others this year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Ready for the festivities!
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
It's good to see more interest in getting a group together. I'm out of town on business without a ton of free time, but checking in occasionally.

How is February 1 looking for everyone?  I realize that it's the opening of the GAOS, which might cause some conflicts, but I figure it's worth asking...
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Myself and two friends are interested pending the details. We are all from York and Lancaster counties.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I can do Feb 1
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Game lands 242, 0800 on Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone should do a BB for PA.

I would like to start getting to know you guys better
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for starting this!

I’m definitely interested.  01 Feb doesn’t work for me but please keep this thread updated or start a new one for future events.  
I’m down for any hiking/rucking, pt/running, shooting, or whatever.  I’ve got NVGs so count me in for night events also.  Former Army Infantry Officer and willing to discuss or train on individual skills or more if there’s interest.  
I’m in Lancaster county but willing to travel for shenanigans.  
Matt (I met some of you cola bros at East 6)
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Someone should do a BB for PA.

I would like to start getting to know you guys better
View Quote
I think that is what dlm1984 is trying for.
As a side note, it looks like Ben wants to take VBB to a national organization.
I'm old and half crippled up and trying to figure out what kind of role an old fuck like myself could play.

As far as getting to know each other better, I would certainly like that.
For whatever reason the PA forum seems mostly made up of hermits.
I count myself as a hermit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#39]
This rain is something troublesome. Range later.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Centre county - checking in
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm old and half crippled up and trying to figure out what kind of role an old fuck like myself could play.

View Quote
@dlm1984
If you setup a date/place let me know.

I have NODs and wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours

Also here is Ben's thread on Battle Buddies:
Battle Buddies
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I, too, am a certified hermit...  But, like I said before, if I've got the time, I'll happily join in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#43]
If I'm mentally mapping the posted responses correctly, eastern Lebanon, SW Berks, and northern Lancaster counties are pretty central, aside from a few outliers.  Anyone have trail suggestions?

I would like to get out Saturday morning, but there's about a 40% chance of rain. The rain won't stop me in a group setting, because shared misery isn't so bad, but alone...I'll just continue to be lazy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Where were you thinking
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Where were you thinking
View Quote
Not sure. I haven't been out in a long time and hoped someone would have a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#46]
The Horseshoe Trail around Middlecreek is good hiking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m in Chester County. I’m interested in getting together. Hiking, shooting or drinking bourbon. I’m a member at NHRPC and can meet up there if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#48]
https://www.traillink.com/trail/middle-creek-trail-/

This?

Edit: meant to quote DrRemulak
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This?

View Quote
One of the reviews mentions following the tour signs around the reservoir for a 6 mile loop. That sounds ideal to me.

I'll take a closer look tonight when I get home, but let's pencil that in. I'd like to knock it out in the morning, say 9 or 10 AM?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One of the reviews mentions following the tour signs around the reservoir for a 6 mile loop. That sounds ideal to me.

I'll take a closer look tonight when I get home, but let's pencil that in. I'd like to knock it out in the morning, say 9 or 10 AM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This?

There's no trail that goes all the way around the lake (afaik).  If you're following tour signs you're going to be walking on the roads.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top