Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2020 2:55:23 PM EDT
I'm going to be travelling to SD soon and I am having a hard time discerning what the CCW regulations are, the pinned thread seems to be a bit out of date.  I have a WI CCW.  I see that there is a tiered permit system, but then also a line about residents/non-residents being able to carry without a permit at all.  Can someone give my the rundown?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be fine with your CCW as we do have reciprocity with WI. That said we are a constitutional carry state.

Only restrictions we have are below, taken from the Secretary of State website.

"Concealed carry is valid throughout South Dakota, except in any licensed on-sale malt beverage or alcoholic beverage establishment that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages (SDCL 23-7-70); any county courthouse or state capitol as defined in SDCL 22-14-22, except as provided in SDCL 22-14-24; or any public elementary or secondary schools (SDCL 13-32-7). The permit is not transferable from one person to another (SDCL 23-7-8.3)."
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great thank you for the clarification.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You're fine. A number of years ago SD changed its law to recognize ALL states' carry permits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top