User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
5 mile route for the 11Apr20 hike.

Attachment Attached File

The start and stop is at a picnic pavilion.

I will give more details later. I did it unloaded today.  If you are going to go for a 45lb ruck get training because that will be tough at 3mph avg.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone get any hiking in?
I haven’t had much time this past week but I will go look at the trails and make sure they are open ASAP.
We had several of the smaller culvert style bridges get washed out.  Hopefully that isn’t affecting getting to trail heads etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think this is a good idea.  If the idea is to encourage folks to get out and get fit; remove as many obstacles to that as possible.

That's another reason why i suggest that the group tries to hike all of the different state parks.  this allows people closer to those areas to whet their appetite and be encouraged to visit trails that require more travel.

I don't quite understand if this is supposed to be a formal organization, but in my opinion to get it up and going it is probably best to keep things as relaxed as possible to begin with.  As more people add on and increase in skill and fitness level, the group becomes more organizational to align with the ABB standards. It's hard enough to get ourselves off the couch as is, but adding in bureaucracy can turn more people off than put on. i hope that make sense.
View Quote
The way we have taken it in NOVA is very informal- any three or more people can randomly last second throw a hike together local to them, and thus only attend when it is convenient.

Once every month or two, we try to put together a bigger hike where we get people from across Northern Virginia. Those hikes aren't mandatory by any means though, and are just an opportunity to get together in a larger group.

You get out what you put in, basically. The ABB standards are aimed towards a mid range goal of permitting the national level umbrella organization to vet people to attend training paid for by us- whether it is EMT, TCCC, S130/190, or shooting schools. We basically will use the persons ABB rating and other factors to calculate the risk of us paying for a course and someone failing based on a physical inability to complete required tasks to graduate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The way we have taken it in NOVA is very informal- any three or more people can randomly last second throw a hike together local to them, and thus only attend when it is convenient.

Once every month or two, we try to put together a bigger hike where we get people from across Northern Virginia. Those hikes aren't mandatory by any means though, and are just an opportunity to get together in a larger group.

You get out what you put in, basically. The ABB standards are aimed towards a mid range goal of permitting the national level umbrella organization to vet people to attend training paid for by us- whether it is EMT, TCCC, S130/190, or shooting schools. We basically will use the persons ABB rating and other factors to calculate the risk of us paying for a course and someone failing based on a physical inability to complete required tasks to graduate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is a good idea.  If the idea is to encourage folks to get out and get fit; remove as many obstacles to that as possible.

That's another reason why i suggest that the group tries to hike all of the different state parks.  this allows people closer to those areas to whet their appetite and be encouraged to visit trails that require more travel.

I don't quite understand if this is supposed to be a formal organization, but in my opinion to get it up and going it is probably best to keep things as relaxed as possible to begin with.  As more people add on and increase in skill and fitness level, the group becomes more organizational to align with the ABB standards. It's hard enough to get ourselves off the couch as is, but adding in bureaucracy can turn more people off than put on. i hope that make sense.

I love where you all are going with everything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I love where you all are going with everything.
View Quote
Absolutely and the fact that HB961 failed to pass goes to show how important and effective it is to organize and spread the word in this fight against tyranny, much the same way that the VCDL and all the other Virginians and organizations did.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Count me as interested as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Head count for 11APR20 witnessed hike at PSP.

Post up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Any word on a group in the upstate?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Last upstate meetup was cancelled due to the weather. I don’t think anything else is scheduled yet. I’m in for an upstate hike though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Post up.
View Quote
I’m still a maybe due to work. Won’t know until closer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Post up.
View Quote
100% in
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Post up.
View Quote
I hate it but I will not make it due to being out of state.  Nothing I can reschedule so it pretty much sucks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
@saturnsport8k. @jibs009 plus anyone else in the upstate.
Send me your info to call via PM and when a good time to contact you.  Would you all be willing to grab a beer and burger during the week downtown Greer etc?
 I will take a Sat off till the time change and get things rolling.  I have some private land but I would prefer to meet people before I would let them visit my home.  I finish up most days at 5pm but have lots of flexibility during the afternoons
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Send me your info to call via PM and when a good time to contact you.  Would you all be willing to grab a beer and burger during the week downtown Greer etc?
 I will take a Sat off till the time change and get things rolling.  I have some private land but I would prefer to meet people before I would let them visit my home.  I finish up most days at 5pm but have lots of flexibility during the afternoons
View Quote
IM sent.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
i'll be hiking with some friends at crowders mountain state park(NC) tomorrow morning,  anyone interested in future upstate get together's let me know. this is only a 40 minute drive from Spartanburg or Rock hill
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
@macumazahn
Send me a IM with contact info. We will have a meet up sometime during the week so we can all get to know each other.
Any day is pretty much fine by me. Let me know what area your in and I’ll try to setup something that is not to far for everyone

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m in columbia and between my fulltime job and running an FFL in my spare time, it’s hard for me to make a trip upstate during the week. I may have to start taking some time off to help coordinate these things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Did another hike at PSP. If you are fit getting a 6 at 3mph is very doable on this terrain. I did this today with my sammich maker in tow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone have any advice for an arthritic, out-of-shape, fat-body smoker who wants to start out (besides stop smoking and being fat)?

I’m hoping to lose weight.  Probably not going to quit smoking.

I’m talking baby-steps.

Gear?
Trails?
Realistic goals?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any advice for an arthritic, out-of-shape, fat-body smoker who wants to start out (besides stop smoking and being fat)?

I’m talking baby-steps.

Gear?
Trails?
Realistic goals?
View Quote
What part if the state are you in?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’m talking baby-steps.

Gear?
Trails?
Realistic goals?
View Quote
Baby-steps: 20minute walk (no gear) up and down your street every day after work for a month. Then push it up to 40 minutes, every day, including weekends. By your third month, you'll actually want to walk longer or further. your need for more air just to walk will likely make you not want smoke as much.

Walking isnt bad on the knees and doesnt require you to buy any gear. just commit to yourself, that's all. dont try to move fast at first, just move. it gets easier.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Baby-steps: 20minute walk (no gear) up and down your street every day after work for a month. Then push it up to 40 minutes, every day, including weekends. By your third month, you'll actually want to walk longer or further. your need for more air just to walk will likely make you not want smoke as much.

Walking isnt bad on the knees and doesnt require you to buy any gear. just commit to yourself, that's all. dont try to move fast at first, just move. it gets easier.
View Quote
Perfect advice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m just posting to keep the thread going.
I’m home still sick and my workload is piling on as I’m out.  Hopefully what ever garbage I caught will go away.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’m home still sick and my workload is piling on as I’m out.  Hopefully what ever garbage I caught will go away.
View Quote
Corona Virus?  I hear it is going around.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What part if the state are you in?
View Quote
Columbia.  Jewel of the South!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone want to do a hike this Sunday, March 15 at Harbison State Forest in Columbia? The Firebreak trail is 4.4 miles, which can be stretched past 5 miles if diverted to the north end of the Midlands Mountain Trail.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone want to do a hike this Sunday, March 15 at Harbison State Forest in Columbia? The Firebreak trail is 4.4 miles, which can be stretched past 5 miles if diverted to the north end of the Midlands Mountain Trail.
View Quote
Let me check with Sammich Maker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Do any of you fine folk think you'll be attending the event in June?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No idea what I had but I’m still alive.
Definitely unpleasant with lots of coughing but I suspect allergies. Who knows I just stayed at home drank a little bourbon and watched Aircraft Disaster reruns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Won't be at Harbison tomorrow.  GS is here for the night.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m waiting for my work to clarify what we will or will not be expected to do in the coming weeks.
That being said I don’t think the parks are closing, so I may do some hikes even if it’s by myself to keep my sanity.
My thoughts are many of you will have more important family issues but maybe there is a opportunity.

Depending on how the next few days go I’ll post up. At this point I really want to see the upstate have a presence. I hate that I’ve had constantly had personal and work issues, so my apologies for trying to rally everyone only to do nothing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Most likely going to scratch the witness hike on the 11th.  We may be in a full on boog by then.  Y'all be safe and healthy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most likely going to scratch the witness hike on the 11th.  We may be in a full on boog by then.  Y'all be safe and healthy.
View Quote
Amen.
This has all gotten pretty surreal fast.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Tagged for interest.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tagged for interest.
View Quote

When all this has come to pass I imagine it will gain much interest.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#36]
No doubt. I know a few members, have helped some out with minor gunsmithing, but I need to get hooked up with the rest of you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#37]
It is still a thing but with all the SPs closed, hiking is tough to find.  Y'all stay fit, neighborhood rucks for training can still happen.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump for other SC folks.

If we don't do long hikes, we should have local get togethers to get to know one another - kinda coordinate things for the future, hikes or picnics or range trips.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Agreed. It kinda got squashed by China Virus.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ad to it:  get good shoes.  Not run of the mill Nikes or Adidas, find a running store and get fitted for shoes.   It will change your life.
View Quote

Shoes are key. Take care of your feet and they’ll take care of you. I like my Merrill and Columbia hiking shoes. They’ve been the best for my girlie feet.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#42]
So it's the end of June...has any progress been made on setting up some hikes or at least meeting?  I'm still interested, but haven't been following this thread that closely.  I'm off work the week after the 4th, so may try and find an easy hike here in the upstate.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top