Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
I'm moving home to KY and want to verify that my SBRs and Cans are legal to posses in KY.

I'm pretty sure they are, but want to verify before I submit my Form 5320.20.

Thanky!
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm moving home to KY and want to verify that my SBRs and Cans are legal to posses in KY.

Thanky!
View Quote

Kentucky is very NFA friendly.
Submit your forms.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Submit your forms.
View Quote
 Given Knob Crick, I figured as much...but a lot of things can change in 20 years.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to bluegrass country.

We have constitutional carry too.

The CCDW license, should you choose to get one, covers other weapons.

Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or serious physical injury, may be discharged.
Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.
Billy, nightstick, or club.
Blackjack or slapjack.
Nunchaku karate sticks.
Shiriken or death star.
Artificial knuckles made from plastic, or other similar hard material.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
We free'er than TX

Welcome to KY!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We free'er than TX

Welcome to KY!!
View Quote

not for much longer
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate the sentiment guys...but I'm moving home.

I grew up in KY. Hell, I had a KY carry permit 18 years ago.

KY has always had pretty good gun laws.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

not for much longer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We free'er than TX
Welcome to KY!!

not for much longer

True.    While KY is about as good as it gets,  TX is making a lot changes that Kentucky has had for a long time, such as with knives and open carry of firearms.     That is the bad thing about being the best, there is not a lot of room for improvement.   Nevertheless, Kentucky seems to keep trying.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:[/b]
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/b]

I appreciate the sentiment guys...but I'm moving home.

I grew up in KY. Hell, I had a KY carry permit 18 years ago.

Then welcome home
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then welcome home
View Quote

This!

What area
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Submit your forms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanky!

Submit your forms.

Correct.

I have 7 NFA items (so far) all submitted in KY.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This!

What area
View Quote
Around Henderson County.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It should considering our state constitution directly prohibits the state legislature from regulating firearms besides for concealed carry.  Some how public universities have been able to slip through that crack though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It should considering our state constitution directly prohibits the state legislature from regulating firearms besides for concealed carry.  Some how public universities have been able to slip through that crack though.
View Quote

The gun ban by colleges and universities was not enacted by our state legislature. It is a result of a court decision from the 1970's. Students at UK held a protest against the University allowing DOD recruiters on campus during the Vietnam War. The protest turned into a sit-in at the Administration building and the UK President's office. The protesters refused to leave. Eventually, the Ky. State Police arrived and ordered them to leave and advised them that if they refused, they would be arrested. Five of the protesters refused to leave and had to be carried out and were taken to jail. In their trial they claimed the entire event was "free speech". The students were convicted of "trespass". The court ruled that UK could act just like a private business and could prevent disruptions to their business activities. That authority has been stretched to our present day gun ban. When the concealed carry law was passed in 1996, KRS 237.115 was part of that law. The first line of that statute says that the new law will not change anything that already existed for colleges and universities. It doesn't give any new authority to them.

If the state constitution does what you suggest, how is it that the legislature has passed KRS 527.020 (prohibition of gun possession on school grounds) and KRS 422.125 (prohibition of carrying a loaded gun in rooms where alcohol is sold by the drink)? These are both regulations of open carry by the state legislature.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Around Henderson County.
View Quote

If you were closer I'd invite you to knob creek for some pistol shoots!
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If the state constitution does what you suggest, how is it that the legislature has passed KRS 527.020 (prohibition of gun possession on school grounds) and KRS 422.125 (prohibition of carrying a loaded gun in rooms where alcohol is sold by the drink)? These are both regulations of open carry by the state legislature.

View Quote

What the constitution says, what the politicians choose to do, and what the courts allow can be all different unfortunately.

Bill of Rights Section 1:
All men are, by nature, free and equal, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights, among which may be reckoned:
Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.

That in general is taken to mean the only gun control that the state legislature can pass is measures around concealed carry.  

KRS 422.125 doesn't exist, you mean 244.125 .  It is my understanding that no case has been settled on restrictions to open carry to set a precedent one way or another.  Some people have alleged that we can open carry into a court room.  Again no one has pushed that issue and taken it through the courts.  If you know of any let me know.  Have you spoken to any of the strong pro-gun legislators about KRS 244.125?  If so what was their response?  I can see it being an issue that no one wants to touch, advocating loaded firearms where drunk people are isn't going to win many people over.  

KRS 527.020 only talks about concealed carry on school grounds.  I didn't see anything about open carry in it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
You have caught me in two mistakes in one post. Very poor form on my part. The statute concerning school property is 527.070, not 020 and it applies to all firearms. There is an exception for guns in vehicles.

The point of my post was that the state legislature has passed laws about open carry. How those statutes are enforced and prosecuted is a different conversation and concerns different people other than legislators. The matter of open carry in a room where alcohol is served is moot in my mind. I don't know of any bars that would allow it, no matter what the law says. Too much liability involved. Schools are a different matter. If you think it is not prosecutable, just give it a try at your local elementary school and see what happens.
I have never discussed either of these two statutes with any lawmakers, mostly because I think there are other topics that are more likely to produce results than either of those two. I think that most legislators believe that any of them that attempt to repeal either of those will have a short tenure in the GA, but that is just my guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top