Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2021 6:54:12 AM EDT
Help me out here.

I don’t want to do anything illegal and am having issues finding good information that is absolute on this topic. I would like to have an AR pistol that I can legally carry loaded in my vehicle.

Understanding that we cannot carry loaded rifles legally in Michigan, if the SBR qualifies as a pistol in the state can we legally carry it loaded in our vehicle? If anyone could please provide or point me to info about this it would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Help me out here.

I don’t want to do anything illegal and am having issues finding good information that is absolute on this topic. I would like to have an AR pistol that I can legally carry loaded in my vehicle.

Understanding that we cannot carry loaded rifles legally in Michigan, if the SBR qualifies as a pistol in the state can we legally carry it loaded in our vehicle? If anyone could please provide or point me to info about this it would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

My friend just takes the stock off for transportation.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it registered as a pistol? I purchased a Daniel Defense Mk 18 SBR and registered it as a pistol at the point of sale. It's under 26" in length and stored in the Michigan State Police data base as a pistol and notated "SBR" on the form.

I "believe" it's 100% legal for me to carry loaded in my passenger compartment. I never do, but I should be totally legal when doing so. If rioting, natural disaster, terrorist attack or any other civil emergency were to take place I would have the option of upgrading my self-defense capability.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it registered as a pistol? I purchased a Daniel Defense Mk 18 SBR and registered it as a pistol at the point of sale. It's under 26" in length and stored in the Michigan State Police data base as a pistol and notated "SBR" on the form.

I "believe" it's 100% legal for me to carry loaded in my passenger compartment. I never do, but I should be totally legal when doing so. If rioting, natural disaster, terrorist attack or any other civil emergency were to take place I would have the option of upgrading my self-defense capability.
View Quote
It isn't anything yet. I'm looking to form 1 a lower and build it for this purpose. I want to take the route of an SBR if that's legal in Michigan because that obviously opens my options for furniture on the firearm.

A pistol in Michigan can have a collapsible stock as long as it's under 26" in length when it's collapsed?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Just me talking here but I would not carry a loaded SBR (NFA item we are talking about) in a vehicle in MI. I have a pistol that I have been told I can carry in the vehicle loaded and ready to go. Might be best to wait for an answer from someone who really knows what is up. Depending on the answer, I may start carrying it since the nutcases are running around unchecked when they feel like rioting....
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just me talking here but I would not carry a loaded SBR (NFA item we are talking about) in a vehicle in MI. I have a pistol that I have been told I can carry in the vehicle loaded and ready to go. Might be best to wait for an answer from someone who really knows what is up. Depending on the answer, I may start carrying it since the nutcases are running around unchecked when they feel like rioting....
View Quote

Do you have any information that says it’s not legal? All of the MCL info I’ve read points to a pistol being under 26” and if it’s that we should be fine with our CPL.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I spoke with my class 3 dealer today. Bearing in mind this isn't legal advice because they aren't lawyers. As long as it's under 26" Michigan considers it a pistol. They have no rules considering the furniture on that gun beyond that. That's where the Feds come in obviously and it being an NFA item.

Long story short an SBR that is under 26" and has an RI-060 (Pistol Sales Record) filed is a pistol in Michigan for all intents and purposes of the law.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If the SBR is under 26", you are supposed to "register" it as a pistol.  As a pistol under Michigan law, if can be carried in a vehicle if you have a CPL.  Heck, I have a few "grandfathered" from when the dimension was 30" that I could carry if I wanted.  A Galil, and an AUG to name a couple.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If the SBR is under 26", you are supposed to "register" it as a pistol.  As a pistol under Michigan law, if can be carried in a vehicle if you have a CPL.  Heck, I have a few "grandfathered" from when the dimension was 30" that I could carry if I wanted.  A Galil, and an AUG to name a couple.
View Quote

Thanks, this was the conclusion I came to.

I was also curious about furniture if Michigan had any additional rules about pistols like the feds do. Answer seems to be no.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have any information that says it's not legal? All of the MCL info I've read points to a pistol being under 26" and if it's that we should be fine with our CPL.
View Quote
My worry would be that in the event of an SD shooting the prosecutor could argue that since the firearm used is registered as an evil NFA item it is somehow more deadly than a "regular" pistol. The way to figure out what a worthless leftist would do is to figure the dumbest ideas possible and you'll be able to plot their every move. I would like to keep mine in the pickup but till I see something concrete I'll just stick with either one of my 1911s or a CZ-75 compact.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My worry would be that in the event of an SD shooting the prosecutor could argue that since the firearm used is registered as an evil NFA item it is somehow more deadly than a "regular" pistol. The way to figure out what a worthless leftist would do is to figure the dumbest ideas possible and you'll be able to plot their every move. I would like to keep mine in the pickup but till I see something concrete I'll just stick with either one of my 1911s or a CZ-75 compact.
View Quote

This is a fair point. I’m not looking for a replacement for my typical carry guns. But this is definitely a good factor to consider thank you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
To circumvent the question, I have a buffer tubeless AR-15 MI registered pistol lower that I assembled from a stripped lower combined with an Olympic Arms OA-93, 5.56x45 upper.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A pistol in Michigan can have a collapsible stock as long as it's under 26" in length when it's collapsed?
View Quote

If you have a collapsible stock and a barrel shorter than 16" you own a SBR and it has to be registered under the NFA as such prior to assembly or at the point of purchase. Pistols can have braces (not stocks) and they must be registered as pistols under Michigan law.

When buying/building an SBR they must be registered as a pistol in Michigan under 26" and as an SBR with the BATFE in advance of manufacture or at the retail point of purchase. Expect close to a year waiting time for approval at the retail level.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you have a collapsible stock and a barrel shorter than 16" you own a SBR and it has to be registered under the NFA as such prior to assembly or at the point of purchase. Pistols can have braces (not stocks) and they must be registered as pistols under Michigan law.

When buying/building an SBR they must be registered as a pistol in Michigan under 26" and as an SBR with the BATFE in advance of manufacture or at the retail point of purchase. Expect close to a year waiting time for approval at the retail level.
View Quote
I understand the fed rules. I was just looking for clarification about Michigan law in regards to furniture on a pistol. I received enough clarification to be confident what I want to build is on the up and up.

I've had two friends get Form 1's back in less than 60 days recently.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've had two friends get Form 1's back in less than 60 days recently.
View Quote

@STW_Synchronized

do you know if they were paper or e-file ?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@STW_Synchronized

do you know if they were paper or e-file ?
View Quote

I'll ask
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I throw mine in my truck occasionally. As long as it's under 26" in its shortest configuration then it's considered a pistol. If you get stopped by a cop I would plan on being there for a while because I doubt they know the rules.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I throw mine in my truck occasionally. As long as it's under 26" in its shortest configuration then it's considered a pistol. If you get stopped by a cop I would plan on being there for a while because I doubt they know the rules.
View Quote

i got stopped by a state trooper a couple summers ago on my way to pick up my boy and then go to the range..

i had 4 handguns, an sbr, and 5 silencers in the trunk, a gun on me and an OTF knife in my pocket and an automatic folder in the console

he didn't care about any of it, just ran my DL and plates, gave me all my paperwork back and said 'have a good time at the range, and don't forget to renew your cpl in 4 months'

pulled me over because of the limo tint on the car.. no ticket due to the dr's note i gave him with the paperwork

i had copies of my stamps ready to show, but he wasn't interested in looking at any of it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks, I came across this document in my searches and it seems to be the best answer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for posting that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top