Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2021 9:09:51 AM EDT
It will now go to the Gov. for his O.K. The big question now is since Sen. Schatz got his SB262 passed will he return the favor and place HB85 the S.A.P.A. on the Senate floor for a roll call vote or will he let it languish on the informal calendar the rest of the week?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, my brain just blew up trying to read the bill. The increase(s) and timeframe I understand...BUT...what do they mean by 'highway vehicles' that can file tax deduction if you keep your receipts? Makes no sense to me... Our main thoroughfare is a highway where I live.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, my brain just blew up trying to read the bill. The increase(s) and timeframe I understand...BUT...what do they mean by 'highway vehicles' that can file tax deduction if you keep your receipts? Makes no sense to me... Our main thoroughfare is a highway where I live.
View Quote

It means what it says. If you prefer not to pay the extra tax, you can ask for a refund. Will you do that? Not likely.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Just save all gas receipts and deduct from taxes. If don't want to deduct, then it won't matter as taxes, foods, entertainment and gas will go up anyway without our consent of getting poorer and poorer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I save all my receipts anyway.

But, it's just more tax revenue they are going to waste.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't stand the fact that the legislature just doesn't get it that the people of Missouri DO NOT WANT A GAS TAX INCREASE.  We have constantly voted that shit down.  They use to take those funds and put them into general revenue (when the democrats had total control)....until we put in our constitution that they had to spend it on the roads.

We do need to fix our roads.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Top 100 people....for 2020.  You really think Patrick McKenna is doing something to justify $215,166.38?

TOTAL FUCKING SCAM..Cut the fuckers pay in half and it's still paying him to much.  If you want to get pissed, go play on this site for a while: https://mapyourtaxes.mo.gov/MAP/Employees/Agency/Agencies.aspx

Employee NameYTD Gross Pay
MCKENNA, PATRICK K $215,166.38
HASSINGER, EDWARD W $152,383.40
MORRIS, BRENDA J $134,094.76
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't stand the fact that the legislature just doesn't get it that the people of Missouri DO NOT WANT A GAS TAX INCREASE.  We have constantly voted that shit down.  They use to take those funds and put them into general revenue (when the democrats had total control)....until we put in our constitution that they had to spend it on the roads.

We do need to fix our roads.
View Quote

This!...as an escapee from Ill-noise THAT is the very reason Ill-noise is broke. #1..they have no balanced budget amendment...#2 all funds can be raided at anytime and are raided on a regular basis. The only fund that is hands off is the road funds because about 5 years ago Ill-noise actually passed a law that the road funds can ONLY be used for, wait for it...roads. (there's an idea for you!)
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Top 100 people....for 2020.  You really think Patrick McKenna is doing something to justify $215,166.38?

TOTAL FUCKING SCAM..Cut the fuckers pay in half and it's still paying him to much.  If you want to get pissed, go play on this site for a while: https://mapyourtaxes.mo.gov/MAP/Employees/Agency/Agencies.aspx
View Quote

Having them actually engineer their own projects instead of project manage them would cut costs, as would banning design build projects.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, on most days i could not guess the current price of a gallon of gas within a 25 cent margin of error. When i need gas, i buy gas, wherever it’s convenient. That was true when gas was $1 or when it was $4. A 2.5 cent hike in the price of gas means nothing to me. It literally is the difference of choosing station A vs. station B based on which side if the street they’re on. Gas goes up or down 10 cents a gallon on a daily basis. I’m not going to fret over a 12 cent tax hike over five years — especially if it results in better roads. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Honestly, on most days i could not guess the current price of a gallon of gas within a 25 cent margin of error. When i need gas, i buy gas, wherever it’s convenient. That was true when gas was $1 or when it was $4. A 2.5 cent hike in the price of gas means nothing to me. It literally is the difference of choosing station A vs. station B based on which side if the street they’re on. Gas goes up or down 10 cents a gallon on a daily basis. I’m not going to fret over a 12 cent tax hike over five years — especially if it results in better roads. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
View Quote

I can understand that....I look at as just being responsible with our dollars.  We already pay .17 a gallon state tax.  How about the state cut funds in other area's and put that money towards the roads?  They spent the gas tax on other projects, besides the roads for 20/30 years.  

A family that drives into work, will spend $2.50 - $8 per fill up with the current gas tax...some people will need to do that twice, as most live 30/45/1hr away from the cities.

We should care about ever dam penny they want from us and demand they spend it wisely.  $215k salary...guy isn't worth that...probably has a take home car, credit card to expense gas...etc. I guess I should look up the last time there was a audit done, if ever.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I can understand that....I look at as just being responsible with our dollars.  We already pay .17 a gallon state tax .  . .
View Quote

Does inflation enter into your thinking on this? According to an online inflation calculator i saw, it would take 29 cents today to equal the purchasing power of 17 cents in 1996 when our gas tax was passed. In the 25 years since we last raised the gas tax, the cost of building and maintaining roads has increased but our funding has not kept pace. Is it reasonable to expect the Highway Department to do the same work with what is essentially less money every year? Do you feel the same about your paycheck? Should your salary stay the same despite a rising cost of living? After all, your wage was good 25 years ago. Why should it change? Can’t you live within your means?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does inflation enter into your thinking on this? According to an online inflation calculator i saw, it would take 29 cents today to equal the purchasing power of 17 cents in 1996 when our gas tax was passed. In the 25 years since we last raised the gas tax, the cost of building and maintaining roads has increased but our funding has not kept pace. Is it reasonable to expect the Highway Department to do the same work with what is essentially less money every year? Do you feel the same about your paycheck? Should your salary stay the same despite a rising cost of living? After all, your wage was good 25 years ago. Why should it change? Can’t you live within your means?
View Quote

Not sure how you think this relates to me not living within my means?  There is a project to spend $4 million dollars for a bridge they want to raise because it floods, once or twice a year.  Not sure how old the bridge is (10 yrs or less?), but why was it built at the current height and not raised when it was first built?  I'll give you a hint...because nobody holds them accountable....just keep raising taxes.

Maybe they should look for other funds that can be used.  I did just hear that somebody has filed to have it put to another vote....I'll try to find more info on that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not sure how you think this relates to me not living within my means?  There is a project to spend $4 million dollars for a bridge they want to raise because it floods, once or twice a year.  Not sure how old the bridge is (10 yrs or less?), but why was it built at the current height and not raised when it was first built?  I'll give you a hint...because nobody holds them accountable....just keep raising taxes.

Maybe they should look for other funds that can be used.  I did just hear that somebody has filed to have it put to another vote....I'll try to find more info on that.
View Quote

Don’t take it personally. I was just trying to suggest that we don’t expect funding to stay constant in other aspects if our lives.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We should care about ever dam penny they want from us and demand they spend it wisely.  $215k salary...guy isn't worth that...probably has a take home car, credit card to expense gas...etc. I guess I should look up the last time there was a audit done, if ever.
View Quote

I wonder what a typical salary is for a CEO of an organization with a $3 billion budget and 5,000 employees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top