Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2021 5:22:47 PM EDT
SB162 makes it a felony to lie on a Federal form required for gun xfers.

7)  while prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law, knowingly makes a material false statement on a form that is:
(A)  required by state or federal law for the purchase, sale, or other transfer of a firearm; and
(B)  submitted to a licensed firearms dealer, as defined by 18 U.S.C. Section 923.

AFAIK recall, this is the first Gun Control Bill Passed in Texas in at least 30 years. It has passed both chambers and is headed to the Governor's desk (he said he would sign it). Governor talks about "Sanctuary States", and now here we are he is about sign a bill the has Texas enforce Federal Gun Control laws. What an embarrassment it will be if the only gun legislation passed this time around is an anti-gun law.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
So we are going to make it a crime to commit a crime?

The Anti gunners will try to use this in the future to have state level background checks with the excuse that it’s to hard to check the federal documents.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So we are going to make it a crime to commit a crime?

The Anti gunners will try to use this in the future to have state level background checks with the excuse that it’s to hard to check the federal documents.
View Quote

Yes and Yes.

This session could see as many a SIX anti gun bills passed, when there had been ZERO in the past 30 years.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the other gun control bills that have a shot at passing?

I testified against this one, but I guess the lure of making lying on the form state illegal as well as federal was too much to overcome.

Lots of pro-gun bills on the verge of passing, but haven't passed both chambers in the same form yet.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What are the other gun control bills that have a shot at passing?

I testified against this one, but I guess the lure of making lying on the form state illegal as well as federal was too much to overcome.

Lots of pro-gun bills on the verge of passing, but haven't passed both chambers in the same form yet.  

View Quote

I had testified against both this bill and the House version of the bill.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
They should have made it a felony for a federal authority to lie to anyone within this state instead.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Shameful, what a disgrace to our state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They should have made it a felony for a federal authority to lie to anyone within this state instead.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Terrific, another law that will NOT be enforced.  Just ask Biden's kid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I could never see dumping this bullshit law on DPS, they have enough to do. If the ATF and DOJ wouldn't do shit, fuck them.

You can still call Abbott to veto the bill, call him!
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I bet Wheels signs it
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Terrific, another law that will NOT be enforced.  Just ask Biden's kid.
View Quote

It will only be enforced, as all Federal laws are, against people they don't like.

For people they do - " a minor paperwork error, no reasonable prosecutor would ..."
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
That's not a gun control bill.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
All this bill does is allow the state to prosecute charges the Feds do not/will not prosecute.  To use the earlier example, if the Feds declined to prosecute Hunter for his obvious 4473 violation, the state of Texas could still prosecute (assuming he had purchased the gun here and not in NJ).

And IIRC, this was also one of the Senate amendments to HB1927, so that is one the conference committee can now drop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top