Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Posted: 1/19/2022 2:39:28 PM EDT
The house bill is still 10rds so they're out of parity but this senate bill needs to be killed!

These require photo proof of ownership if they wind up coming togather.

EDIT 2/15/22
GO HERE TO REGISTER YOUR CON VOTE FOR THE COMMITTEE HEARING TOMORROW MORNING

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/WA-RESIDENTS-public-hearing-2-16-10am-ESSB-5078-mag-ban-Register-your-CON-here-EASY-LINKS-/5-2530726/
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update. I’ve been thinking about this vote all day. I’m so glad we showed a lot of opposition but the situation still sucks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
To be blunt, there is every reason to expect that we get our teeth kicked in this session.  There are no moderate Dems left in leadership positions or pro-gun Dems left in general.  Losing Senator Hobbs may well have sunk us; the Dems have the votes, we have very little--if any--leverage, and there is no incentive for them to moderate because they're increasingly convinced that the probable incoming red wave may take away their Senate majority.  I've pitched a novel delaying tactic to (the good) Senator Wilson, but I haven't heard back (understandably).  All we really have is a pressure campaign on the most vulnerable Dems.  They are:

The state senators who need to be focused on the most to oppose SB 5217 and SSB 5078 (all Democrats) are:
Kevin Van de Wege LD 24 [email protected] 360-786-7646

Steve Conway LD 29 [email protected] 360-786-7656

Mark Mullet LD 5 [email protected] 360-786-7608

John Lovick LD 44 [email protected] 253-275-1405

Annette Cleveland LD 49 [email protected] 360-786-7696

Emily Randall LD 26 [email protected] 360-786-7650

Mona Das LD 47 [email protected] 360-786-7692

Claire Wilson LD 30 [email protected] 360-786-7658

Andy Billig LD 3 [email protected] 360-786-7604

Letters from constituents are worth a lot more than letters from random WA residents, but anything is better than nothing.  Right now, the blows that are landing are disparate racial impact/racist history of gun control and, "I will actively campaign against you if you support this," pledges from what I am told.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately I don’t have time to counter your assessment of getting our teeth kicked in this session.

Because of the INCREDIBLE JOB Washington gun owners have done in raising their voices and pushing back - the “Assault Weapon Ban” SB 5217 os off the table (for now).  So is preemption.  Not totally dead, but pulled from the Senate Law & Justice Committee Executive Session tomorrow.  Thus neither bill will move to the floor calendar (for now).

WE MUST STILL FIGHT SSB 5078 (“High Capacity” mag ban) with all our might!!

Keep emailing, calling etc.!!! DO NOT REST ON OUR LAURELS NOW!!!

The situation is highly fluid, but represents a sudden change in strategy BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF RESISTANCE WE PUT UP!!

More to follow later.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because of the INCREDIBLE JOB Washington gun owners have done in raising their voices and pushing back - the “Assault Weapon Ban” SB 5217 os off the table (for now).  So is preemption.  Not totally dead, but pulled from the Senate Law & Justice Committee Executive Session tomorrow.  Thus neither bill will move to the floor calendar (for now).
View Quote

RIGHT ON!! THATS AWESOME!

I guess all those people signing up and testifying made a difference!

Just in case you haven't been watching @Brett_Bass there were 10,000 people signed into the session for that bill and the majority was CON.  Legislature saw that.  It got their attention!

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Got this response for every email i sent

“Thank you for emailing the office of Senator Nobles. We appreciate you sharing your position on HB 1618 and I will be sure to share your position with Senator Nobles.

Best Regards,

Tamlyn Crain
Session Aide to
Senator T’wina Nobles
28th Legislative District
Pronouns: (She/her) “
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Then there’s this shitbag.
“Dear xxxx,

Thank you for writing to the office of Representative Dan Bronoske to express your concerns about gun control legislation in Washington. We appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

As a first responder, Rep. Bronoske works across from our law enforcement to protect the health, safety, and well-being of our communities. Now, as a member of the Washington State House of Representatives, he combines the insight he has gained as a first responder with his responsibilities as a representative to evaluate legislation that addresses the safety and rights of his constituents.

Senate Bill 5078 aims to set a reasonable capacity for firearm magazines in our state. The capacity restrictions are aimed at reducing the rate of death and injury when these magazines are used by shooters in unlawful actions. We understand your concerns and appreciate you reaching out to express your views on this bill. This bill does provide for the grandfathering in for possession of magazines exceeding the total round restriction which may be used for home defense, hunting, and other recreational activities when in compliance with the current laws on those categories. In current form, there is no requirement in these bills for the surrender or forfeiture of currently owned magazines exceeding the total round restrictions.

For clarity, the bill does not apply to the following:
any person who legally possessed the large capacity magazine prior to the effective date of this law;
any person who inherits the large capacity magazine on the death of the former owner who legally possessed it;
any government officer, agent, or employee, or contractor hired to provide firearms training to law enforcement if authorized in connection with official duties;
a licensed firearms manufacturer for the purpose of sale to any branch of the armed forces or to a law enforcement agency; a dealer properly licensed for the purpose of sale to any branch of the armed forces or to a law enforcement agency;
a dealer properly licensed to acquire a large capacity magazine from a person legally authorized to possess it for the purpose of selling or transferring the large capacity magazine to a person who does not reside in this state;
a federally licensed gunsmith for the purposes of service or repair;
law enforcement or corrections officers within the scope of official duties;
law enforcement officers retired from service or for physical disabilities; members of the armed forces of the United States or state of Washington, or national guard or military reserves if authorized within the scope of official duties;
any person lawfully engaged in shooting at a licensed shooting range; and any person for the purpose of permanently relinquishing it to law enforcement, which must be destroyed.

Senate Bill 5078 was placed on second reading by the Senate Rules Committee on January 14. If you are interested in following this bill, we encourage you to visit http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/ to sign up for email notifications.

I also want to let you know that we have a new way for the public to testify on legislation and we want you to participate.

Universal remote testimony: The Legislature has expanded remote testimony capabilities so people can testify on any bill from anywhere up to an hour prior to a committee meeting.
To testify remotely in the Senate: https://app.leg.wa.gov/CSIRemote/Senate
To testify remotely in the House: https://app.leg.wa.gov/CSIRemote/House

Submit written testimony: People can also submit written testimony on any bill scheduled for a public hearing. People have long been able to submit written comment on a bill, but prior to this year, those comments were sent directly to the constituent’s own legislators. The new written testimony system saves comments where committee members and staff can access and read it, and where committee staff will later place it in the committee file and archive it where it will be maintained as part of the public record.
Written testimony can be submitted at the same links used to sign-in for public testimony above.

It’s all on TVW: Every committee meeting, floor session, press conference and special event will be broadcast at TVW.org.

Thank you again for reaching out to us with your concerns. Please know that our door is always open if you wish to further express your stance on this, or any other matter.

Very respectfully,

Rachel Biden
Office of Dan Bronoske, 28th Legislative District
Washington State House of Representatives”
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Rachel has an interesting last name
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Emailed them all directly... Again!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Been calling and writing, any updates today?

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Any update on 5078? I called and emailed over the last few days and never received a response. Thanks to everyone who put in effort; nothing is too small. Roy at WeaponOutfitters is crushing it!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE: 19 January

Attachment Attached File

The Senate has adjourned for today and tomorrow is technically a "Pro Forma" session.  Typically, no votes take place during Pro Forma sessions.

Today, the Senate did not bring SSB 5078 (the "high-capacity" mag ban) to the floor for a vote.

Theoretically, the next opportunity for the Senate to possibly vote on 5078 will be Friday @ 1330 hours.

Link to Senate Session Planner - See Page 2 for This Week

As I mentioned a few posts up:  OUR RESISTANCE IS BEING FELT!!!  DO NOT LET UP NOW!!!

I don't want to blow sunshine up your backsides, but everything you all are doing is having an impact so PLEASE KEEP IT UP!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Second round of resistance going out!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Second round of resistance going out!
View Quote

+1 will follow up todays calls and emails with a new round tomorrow.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Emailed all 9. Took 5 minutes and it can’t hurt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Several bounces, make sure the bounces get phone calls

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected] ([email protected])

Maureen Walsh bounced too

Your message couldn't be delivered to the recipient because you don't have permission to send to it.

ToRecipientsPermission; not authorized to send to recipient because the sender isn't on the recipient's list of senders to accept mail from'
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Scheduled for noon today I believe

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Emailed them all again
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I just emailed all 9. Thanks for the list of names and their email addresses. The members of the WA Guns forum are also doing the same to fight for our rights. Can we post a copy of the post with the senators' contact information on the WA Guns General Discussion?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just emailed all 9. Thanks for the list of names and their email addresses. The members of the WA Guns forum are also doing the same to fight for our rights. Can we post a copy of the post with the senators' contact information on the WA Guns General Discussion?
View Quote

Ar15com GD? Ive been posting threads to GD for Wa members who dont come to the WHTF
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Scheduled for noon today I believe

View Quote

Today was a “pro Forma” meeting and typically no formal voting takes place.  As of right now, the Senate has adjourned until their next Pro Forma meeting at 1230 hours tomorrow (21 January) and there might be a floor session at 1330 hours or the Senate may just caucus.

Senate Floor Calendar (always subject to change) - 9 Page pdf Scroll to page 2

The next scheduled session of the Senate where floor votes will take place is 26 January @ 1330 hours.  SSB 5078 *could* come up for a floor vote then.  Then again - if we keep the pressure up on our electeds - maybe it won’t come up at all!  

LET’S KEEP PUSHING BACK!!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Another round of emails sent today, thanks for keeping this going guys!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Sent more emails today.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ar15com GD? Ive been posting threads to GD for Wa members who dont come to the WHTF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAGuns.org
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Today, Senator Braun's Legislative Intern sent me this handy table of hearings for current gun bills...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#27]
More emails sent today.  Encouraged some friends to do the same.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Today, Senator Braun's Legislative Intern sent me this handy table of hearings for current gun bills...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47130/Sen_Braun_JPG-2247984.JPG
View Quote

Everything is just so…

…concerning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#29]
As a recently former Washington resident I'm pulling for you guys.

I'd love to move back home, but worry the state is getting worse, but this all seems like wonderful news so far.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and have called everyone I know in the state to fight these bills.

Washington has a huge gun culture, and if everyone stands up these bills will fail miserably.

Keep fighting boys, I'm proud of you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Calls and email time.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Calls and email time.

View Quote

Just hit it again, fired for effect
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Calls and email time.

View Quote

Indeed.  LET’S KEEP THAT PRESSURE UP!!!  Take just five minutes today to contact your rep and tell them “NO MORE INFRINGEMENTS ON OUR RIGHTS!!”

Here is the SSB 5078 Bill Info Page and hit the green “Comment On This Bill” button.  Fill out the address information (to determine your district and rep) and strongly encourage them (while still remaining polite) to not allow 5078 to be brought to the floor for a vote.

Take action and spread the word!!!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#33]
BTT

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#34]
More emails sent this morning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Indeed.  LET’S KEEP THAT PRESSURE UP!!!  Take just five minutes today to contact your rep and tell them “NO MORE INFRINGEMENTS ON OUR RIGHTS!!”

Here is the SSB 5078 Bill Info Page and hit the green “Comment On This Bill” button.  Fill out the address information (to determine your district and rep) and strongly encourage them (while still remaining polite) to not allow 5078 to be brought to the floor for a vote.

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calls and email time.

Thank you!

Hit
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Any updates
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any updates
View Quote

Speaking specifically of SSB 5078:  Nothing new in the last 24-48 hours.  THAT IS NOT A REASON TO BACK OFF THE PRESSURE and here is why:

Right now, 5078 has a position on the Senate floor calendar and it is THE FIRST POSITION!!! Link to Senate Floor Activity Page  Technically, this means that it can come up for a floor vote any time the Senate is in regular session.  The next scheduled regular session currently is scheduled for 26 January @ 1330 hours (Senate Schedule - Scroll to Page 3 (9 page pdf)

Here is why keeping the pressure up on the entire Senate is so important:

The Senate Majority Leader has the power/ability to decide which bills get called to the floor for a vote regardless of the bill's position.  There have been one or two floor sessions this past week and other bills way down the calendar were pulled for votes.  If enough D Senators - especially in weaker districts - urge the majority leader to not bring 5078 to the floor for a vote because of the HUGE amount of PUSH BACK from their constituents, then it is possible that the clock could run out on the 2022 session and 5078 doesn't receive a vote.

This is not a "slam-dunk" by any means, so we need to keep those emails rolling in!  BUT - this is a short session (60 days unless a special session is called) and there are A LOT of "hot topic" bills outside of gun control legislation that must be addressed.  One of the requirements is that a bill must have time for floor debate (not public debate, but debate among the Senate) before receiving a vote.  This can eat up a lot of time, especially if the bill is highly contentious (like 5078).  So, if the Senate can avoid bringing a bill like 5078 to the floor and having a lengthy debate (we still have 40 R Senators plus a few pro-gun D's like Tim Sheldon in the 35th District {Mason and some Thurston Co.} so the debate could get lengthy), that leaves more time to address the long list of other "hot- topic" bills.

SO KEEP THAT PRESSURE UP ON YOUR SENATOR AND THE OTHERS!!

Now I have not had an opportunity to research and confirm this information myself, but supposedly these are currently D held Senate districts that are vulnerable come this November (when 1/2 of WA's Senate is up for reelection):

ETA:  If these folks want to keep their jobs, then they should be very sensitive to the mood of the people in their district and this is why your voice is so important right now!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Thank you for identifying individuals that should receive priority contact.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Emails sent to everyone on that list. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it worth emailing Sen Billig, more? He's the majority leader and would control what comes to the floor.  Previous post indicates he's vulnerable as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is it worth emailing Sen Billig, more? He's the majority leader and would control what comes to the floor.  Previous post indicates he's vulnerable as well.
View Quote

Interesting question and it certainly can't hurt.  I did do a little bit of research and Senator Billig won't be up for reelection until 2024.  Also, according to Ballotpedia.org's page on District 3 Billig received 58% of the vote, so I don't know if I would call that "vulnerable" or not.

Now in District 28 (UP, Steilacoom, Anderson Island, JBLM and part of Lakewood) very narrowly edged out pro-gun Republican Steve O'Ban (can't help the last name, I suppose) by just 1.4% (50.6 to O'Ban's 49.2).  She is not up for reelection until 2024 either, so I don't know how vulnerable she is this session - BUT it certainly can't hurt to keep the pressure up in District 28 now.  Ballotpedia data for District 28

Here is the Ballotpedia.org page for the  Washington State Senate

And here is the Ballotpedia.org page for the Washington State House of Representatives

It seems Ballotpedia has done a pretty decent job of compiling election results for each district and each chamber.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Interesting question and it certainly can't hurt.  I did do a little bit of research and Senator Billig won't be up for reelection until 2024.  Also, according to Ballotpedia.org's page on District 3 Billig received 58% of the vote, so I don't know if I would call that "vulnerable" or not.

Now in District 28 (UP, Steilacoom, Anderson Island, JBLM and part of Lakewood) very narrowly edged out pro-gun Republican Steve O'Ban (can't help the last name, I suppose) by just 1.4% (50.6 to O'Ban's 49.2).  She is not up for reelection until 2024 either, so I don't know how vulnerable she is this session - BUT it certainly can't hurt to keep the pressure up in District 28 now.  Ballotpedia data for District 28

And here is the Ballotpedia.org page for the Washington State House of Representatives

It seems Ballotpedia has done a pretty decent job of compiling election results for each district and each chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may very well be worth keeping the pressure on Billig.  I, of course, received the canned ham message of;

"Thank you for your e-mail. I appreciate your input. Should SB 5078 come before me for consideration, I will certainly keep your comments in mind."
All my best,
Andy
Senator Andy Billig
Senate Majority Leader
3rd Legislative District – Spokane
[email protected]

The past three years I received no response from him what so ever on any gun control proposals so this must be getting his attention.  Exact same response to the assault weapons ban.

On the house side, Riccelli and Ormsby never respond to any legislation on which I place a comment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#43]
More emails sent this morning.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#44]
More emails sent, please call or email or both.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Senator Mark Schoesler replied an said would not be supporting this bill.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Senator Mark Schoesler replied an said would not be supporting this bill.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Another round of emails sent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#48]
I want to thank you all again for continuing to keep the pressure up on 5078!!  

I don’t want anybody to back off of the throttle, but you ARE MAKING AN IMPACT!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Email sent
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I know it's a losing battle, my only hope is that local opposition makes them decide to focus on something else.

Thank you so much for reaching out to Senator Wellman about SB 5078. This bill was reintroduced at the beginning of this session and is currently awaiting action in the Senate Rules Committee. It can be tracked using the hyperlink included above.

While Senator Wellman appreciates your position on this issue, she is in favor of restricting the manufacture, sale, and possession of high capacity magazines. According to the Giffords Law Center, shootings in which high capacity magazines were used resulted in a 62% higher death toll than those without.  Additionally, nine other US states have already restricted magazine capacity, and six of those states have a lower rate of gun violence than Washington.

As a representative of a district that has historically been in favor of gun regulation, the Senator believes that this bill is an important step towards ensuring the safety of our communities which aligns with the values of a majority of her constituents.

Thank you once again for engaging with this important issue. Senator Wellman appreciates hearing from her constituents as she is proud to represent the diverse voice of the 41st district. Feel free to call or email the office with further questions or concerns!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top