Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2021 7:18:40 PM EDT
New bill introduction, S-6659, Provides that the legislative body of the county of Westchester shall fix the fee to be charged for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver and provide for the disposition of such fees.

No Assembly companion (yet).

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
For example, pistol license applications are capped at $10, while the cost to perform the necessary work costs roughly $300.
View Quote
That is the same BS that gave us the $200 fee here in Nassau County back in 2000. Expensive full time NCPD police officers doing clerical work that could easily be given to non-sworn clerical staff. So you can bet Westchester would have a $300 fee if this passes since there is no incentive at all to find ways to reduce costs. Maybe, just maybe, Westchester should look at ways to find som efficiencies to reduce that $300 cost. Hopefully, if there is a positive SCOTUS ruling in NYSRPA v Corlett (was Bruen), that will open the door to lawsuits for getting these excessive fees to exercise a civil right shot down with prejudice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
My questions that I'll be calling to ask...

Have you thought about how this will impact the poor and minorities from being able to buy a handgun? Are their lives not as important, or are you just against poor people and minorities from owning guns?

Plenty of other counties do just fine not charging hundreds of dollars. They run a background check and they do the fingerprints - that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars.

If your county chooses to go above and beyond in their investigation, and it costs more money, that should be on you.

Lastly how is this not akin to a poll tax? You are charging and exorbitant amount of money to exercise a constitutional right? How is that not like charging a fee to vote?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF???? From $15 to $300??? Are they out of their minds????!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Does Westchester require renewal every five years or just recertification per the SAFE Act? In Nassau County, the $200 fee is EVERY FIVE YEARS as licenses expire and must be renewed. They are not good for life or until revoked. New York City licenses have to be renewed too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The proposed Legislation sets limits on the Fees for the Licenses, but no where is there mention of processing, investigating the application.
"Sure, the licenses is $10. but for us to run the background check through County, State, and FBI is going to cost you $300."
Perhaps those with Law Degrees should weigh in as I could be mistaken in what constitutes the issuance or renewal of a Licenses.
Otherwise, the fees appear be be limited and oddly enough reasonable.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Need to push the NYS legislators are racist and denying minorities of there rights just like a poll tax..

The dumbacraps did when they ruled the south.. The new plantation at its finest.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The proposed Legislation sets limits on the Fees for the Licenses, but no where is there mention of processing, investigating the application.
"Sure, the licenses is $10. but for us to run the background check through County, State, and FBI is going to cost you $300."
Perhaps those with Law Degrees should weigh in as I could be mistaken in what constitutes the issuance or renewal of a Licenses.
Otherwise, the fees appear be be limited and oddly enough reasonable.  
View Quote

To me it looks like the legislation is trying to raise the fees for Westchester.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To me it looks like the legislation is trying to raise the fees for Westchester.
View Quote

Well it IS Democrat sponsored...
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does Westchester require renewal every five years or just recertification per the SAFE Act? In Nassau County, the $200 fee is EVERY FIVE YEARS as licenses expire and must be renewed. They are not good for life or until revoked. New York City licenses have to be renewed too.
View Quote

They are renewed every 5 years but currently only costs I think $10.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I called Shelly Mayer's office and I suggest everyone do the same. Tell them it's impacting low income people and minorities. Tell them to withdraw the bill.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically that was Nassau before 2000 IIRC. The fee was due every five years. When the fee went to $200, that became the amount due every five years. You can bet Westchester will charge the maximum every five years if they get this passed.

Hopefully SCOTUS will strike down these fees as a "Poll Tax".
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Imagine having to pay hundreds of dollars in order to register to vote. If this passes Suffolk county is likely to follow suit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Why haven’t the “Republicans” in the Nassau county legislature reduced such high fee? They’ve been in power for most of the county’s history. According to the penal law the county legislature sets the price for Nassau, not the state.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait till NY passes the mandatory safety class / live fire class you will have to take every 2 years if you own handguns.

That'll be hundreds of dollars or more every 2 years, plus hundreds for license renewal fees every 3 or so years...

What about the poor schmuck that only owns 1 crappy handgun? The fees will be 2x the price of the gun right off the bat.

After 4 years it'll be 4x the cost of the gun.

Why does NY hate poor minority gun owners?
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why haven't the "Republicans" in the Nassau county legislature reduced such high fee? They've been in power for most of the county's history. According to the penal law the county legislature sets the price for Nassau, not the state.
View Quote
It was the REPUBLICANS who gave us the $200 fee and the late Republican Tom Gulotta was the County Executive It was an early inkling that New York Republicans are no different than Democrats.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]
They are not Republicans they are RINOS.. Very Very few Republicans left.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Companion introduced as A-7939.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#18]
When is the end of legislative session? Hope they never make it to the floor.

Anyone call these scumbags aside from me? We need to call!
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
End of session is June 10.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
What are the chances this makes it in? At least this year?

@nyrkba
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
They just passed ghost guns and I expect a few more.  I think they may hold off on this one until next year.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
They never leave us alone.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Need to push the NYS legislators are racist and denying minorities of there rights just like a poll tax..

The dumbacraps did when they ruled the south.. The new plantation at its finest.
View Quote

That’s what they want
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top