Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2019 11:28:02 AM EDT
On December 7th,  Virtue of Defense Range Tactical hosted their first run and gun style event at their complex in Old Fort, NC.

33 participants showed up for the event.  The participants had a variety of shooting and fitness skills, and ages ranged from low teens to the mid 50s.  
The weather could not have been better--a little chilly at the start, but warmed up nicely without getting too hot for the competitors.

The events consisted of the following:
Lane 1
16' rope climb (or 10 burpees)
Weapon assembly
10rds rifle standing, 10rds pistol standing
Tire Flip
10rds rifle kneeling, 10rds pistol standing
Sandbag carry
10rds rifle prone, 10rds pistol standing
Run back to the start
It took competitors about 12 min to complete the course.

Lane 2
Tire drag
Low crawl
Tire step (football drill)
250m run
10rds rifle support (weak) hand, 10rds pistol support (weak) hand
10rds rifle at 50m
100m steel (1 hit to clear--10 rds to try)
Run to start
It took competitors about 10 min to complete this course.

For the first time running this event, things went pretty smoothly.  All the participants seemed to enjoy the course, and the combination of shooting and physical activity certainly challenged everyone in some form or fashion.

An obstacle that certainly challenged the competitors on the first lane was the rope climb.  This is an obstacle where technique can really make it easier for you.  There are several great videos out there for ways to get better at this.

Weapon assembly went better than expected.  One squad had some challenges with the firing pin retaining pin--the cotter pin was bent, and they could not get it back in on 2 of their guns.  We stopped them and they were able to run again.

Most, if not all, firearms run much better when properly lubricated.  One shooter started having problems in the prone event--the rifle would fire a round, not chamber the next, etc.  Initial impressions were that it was a bad magazine, but talking with him later on, he mentioned that the rifle was dry.  It was lubricated for another shooter to use, and ran just fine.

Of course, weak hand shooting proved to be a big challenge for most shooters.  It is something that isn't trained, or practiced, much.  It certainly levels the field in an event like this, and a better than average weak hand shooter certainly had an advantage here.

Cardio, cardio, cardio.  Rule number 1. Enough said.

This event saw a lot of the participants adjusting their gear mid-run, and making plans and adjustments for the next time they are out.  Another common theme were people discovering that they need to get into better shape--both for their normal lives and for competition.

Technique can matter too--in the prone, the difference in speed and accuracy for shooters for shooters that put the gun on the ground vs. unsupported was noticeable.  Unless you have a really bad magazine, or something completely out of spec, using the magazine as a monopod can help you significantly.

We saw a mix of crossfitters doing shooting, and shooters doing fitness, and everything in between.  Scores were kept, but as a practice inaugural event, no prizes were awarded.

All in all, this was a fun, safe event.  The range, volunteers and competitors all made for a great day.  There are plans to conduct another event at the same location towards the end of January.

All pictures courtesy of Johnny_C
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm about 20 minutes from there. Will this be happening again in the near future?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
@Bruh44
 Bill mentioned late January has been discussed as a possible
target date for the next one.

It was a fun day. I didn't compete, but the RO's did a great job
keeping everyone safe & encouraged. And there was lots of
others who worked the registration tables, as well as recording
the scores & times for the participants.

There were some beasts who ran like the wind, men & ladies!
Congrats to all who participated. i was glad to be able to attend.
There was a great sense of camaraderie, as well.

Good times.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm about 20 minutes from there. Will this be happening again in the near future?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, about the end of January.

I think that there will be some skills sessions as well happening to help people get better with certain events.

Lots of other training opportunities as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It does look like fun. If you don't mind, let me know when you get specific dates. I'll try to go if I can.
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
OST

Looking at doing my first RnG in April.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Next event is scheduled.  February 22.

No financial interest.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the course of fire and obstacles going to change for the 22nd? or are they going to be similar to the 1st R&G?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the course of fire and obstacles going to change for the 22nd? or are they going to be similar to the 1st R&G?
View Quote
It should be similar. Some slight changes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks to me like a great time and the facility looks nice!’ Any idea on minimum gear/equipment requirements?  Looked over their website and didn't find any info pertaining to requirements.

VODTAC Training
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks to me like a great time and the facility looks nice!’ Any idea on minimum gear/equipment requirements?  Looked over their website and didn't find any info pertaining to requirements.

VODTAC Training
View Quote
Right now it is bring what you would like/need/are comfortable running.

The ability to carry 4 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags at most would probably cover you just fine.

As the event gets more attention and organized, I suspect that "classes" will be added.

It is a good time.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#11]
They are doing another one this weekend.  Weather should be good, and social distancing will be excellent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Had a good event Saturday.  6 runners.  3 courses of fire.

Next one in May TBD as the 4th weekend will be Memorial Day Weekend.

Also plan to run some sort of "Friday Night Fights" starting in May.  One course of fire, different discipline each month.  Low round count.  Just to get out and shoot.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Another event coming up this Saturday.  Looks like 3 stages, one of them having a couple of fun surprises.

If you don't want to run, come check it out anyways--we are building a pretty good community of like-minded shooters out there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Man, these run and guns are getting fun! This past Saturday was my 3rd RNG and they just keep getting better and better. Thanks Bill and Frank for putting together such a fun event. I'm looking forward to the next one!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Here are some pictures from the last one.  We added a shotgun stage (drop gun) and a surprise hand grenade throw.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Another Run and Gun coming up this Saturday.  I wonder what the surprise event will be...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top