Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/23/2021 12:12:50 PM EDT
Asking for friend without CCW, he asked about the rules for having a handgun in the car.

I'm unsure and said I would ask.

Can he have in the glove box loaded or unloaded, does it have to be in a case, etc..?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Cased and unloaded. Glove box is not a case.
Read Iowa code 724.4
Though with the ease of getting a permit, I can't imagine why one wouldn't just do that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the info
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If I'm not mistaken I believe it also says the case must be big enough to not be able to conceal it on your person. At least that's the way it used to read. I don't know if that's how it reads for sure now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Unloaded in Iowa means, no cartridges in the magazines, I believe, and no mag in the firearm.
Mags and ammo can not be within easy reach of the firearm.

Get the permit to carry, there is free web training that qualifies that takes 10 minutes if he doesn't want to spend the time or money.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unloaded in Iowa means, no cartridges in the magazines, I believe, and no mag in the firearm.
Mags and ammo can not be within easy reach of the firearm.
Get the permit to carry, there is free web training that qualifies that takes 10 minutes if he doesn't want to spend the time or money.
View Quote

That was changed many years back. No permit means keep the cartridges out of the firearm itself, and the firearm itself in accord with the language regarding not being immediately accessible (in a container, package, trunk, etc).
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top