Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2021 5:15:41 PM EDT
Folks, is the Ruger 10/22 (model number 11112) with the flash hider legal in CT?

It comes with 10 round mag.  No scary features, besides the threaded barrel.

Called local FFL and he said he won't transfer it.

Go or no go?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Probably have to pin/weld the flash suppressor onto the threaded barrel to get it CT legal. And of course one cannot "legally" put any other feature (like an after market pistol grip stock) on it so long as its a semiautomatic detachable magazine rimfire rifle with a flash suppressor.

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/images/11112.jpg

Probably have to pin/weld the flash suppressor onto the threaded barrel to get it CT legal. And of course one cannot "legally" put any other feature (like an after market pistol grip stock) on it so long as its a semiautomatic detachable magazine rimfire rifle with a flash suppressor.

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or
View Quote

Thanks brother.  This sucks.  I guess I am getting the non threaded version.  No point in welding the muzzle device as the whole point was to be able to suppress it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks brother.  This sucks.  I guess I am getting the non threaded version.  No point in welding the muzzle device as the whole point was to be able to suppress it.
View Quote

Find a suppressor that attaches using a tri-lug or something similar and have a tri-lug adapter pinned/welded onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Just have it delivered without the FH? I see 10/22s all the time with threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Or can find a pre-ban. I have 2 that I got off Gun Broker. Both I found by just looking at the serial number in the pictures.

Granted, this was pre-wu-flu.

I bought them because I was planning to do the SBX barrel with an AGP side-folding stock.

Edit: I thought rimfire could have 1 "evil" feature, meaning a threaded barrel with a standard, non-postol-grip stock would be okay. Am I wrong?

Or could look into a bolt action. No issues with the AWB and would be quieter without the action cycling.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not have the FFL toss the flash hider?

I had a 10/22 takedown. The thing was not accurate at all. Every shot was in a different area. I tried all the tricks on the internet. Selling it was the best thing I did. The guy I sold it too wanted it and he sold it too for the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy an off the shelf 10/22 and put what ever threaded barrel on it.  Super easy.  
Quoted:
Why not have the FFL toss the flash hider?

I had a 10/22 takedown. The thing was not accurate at all. Every shot was in a different area. I tried all the tricks on the internet. Selling it was the best thing I did. The guy I sold it too wanted it and he sold it too for the same reason.
View Quote

Hmm.  My takedown has been great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or can find a pre-ban. I have 2 that I got off Gun Broker. Both I found by just looking at the serial number in the pictures.

Granted, this was pre-wu-flu.

I bought them because I was planning to do the SBX barrel with an AGP side-folding stock.

Edit: I thought rimfire could have 1 "evil" feature, meaning a threaded barrel with a standard, non-postol-grip stock would be okay. Am I wrong?

Or could look into a bolt action. No issues with the AWB and would be quieter without the action cycling.
View Quote

This is my assumption as well.  

Also my RAR is great suppressed.  It's the only rimfire I have that shoots POA/POI with and without my can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find one that just has a threaded barrel without any muzzle device attached. The threaded barrel all by itself is legal provided it is the only evil feature.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

See the actual statute language in my prior post up thread. Yes, one evil feature (like a threaded barrel with no muzzle attachment) should be fine, adding a second (like a pistol grip) is what turns a post ban 10/22 into an aw.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
---Dupe
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just have it delivered without the FH? I see 10/22s all the time with threaded barrels.
View Quote

^^^^
This
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys.

Sounds like removing the FH before I get possession of the rifle is the best bet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Swap out the flash hider for a compensator or brake and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And the OP would still have the same problem. The OP wants per their earlier post to add a suppressor on the threads.
No point in welding the muzzle device as the whole point was to be able to suppress it.
There is nothing illegal in the law about having a flash hider or threaded barrel as the sole evil feature on a post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic detachable magazine rimfire rifle. The issue is the FFL won't transfer it. Its an FFL problem, not a break the law kind of problem. Sounds like that FFL is taking the ultra conservative approach.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And the OP would still have the same problem. The OP wants per their earlier post to add a suppressor on the threads.
There is nothing illegal in the law about having a flash hider or threaded barrel as the sole evil feature on a post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic detachable magazine rimfire rifle. The issue is the FFL won't transfer it. Its an FFL problem, not a break the law kind of problem. Sounds like that FFL is taking the ultra conservative approach.
View Quote

Yes, that's what I thought too initially, thanks for the insight.  I may have to ask other FFLs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top