Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested, Boise area.

Are y'alls winters always this warm?
View Quote
Last few years - yes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
What times work for you guys? I plan on driving out to Bonneville point today and roaming around as long as its not too muddy and see how workable it would be to do a hike out there, but seems like elevation changes might be rough. If we can get a group of at least 3 people, we could start off with a 3 mile hike so that anyone wanting to start BB quals could at least get provisional and work from there. The ridge to rivers site shows a lot of trails open, or there is always lining out a distance somewhere in the desert and starting to walk.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be back in Mountain Home the 1st week of March. My busy season is almost done..
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Today was a beautiful day for hiking.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I will be getting off work on Saturday at 6am, but unless you Treasure Valley guys chime in and have a time/location that works better for you, how about 11AM on Saturday morning starting at Veterans Memorial Park for a hike? If anyone wants to go and attend with the purpose of starting qualifications per American Battle Buddies/ American Pioneers Corps Guidelines we can decide before we leave if we want to do a 3 mile hike or the full 6. 3 miles from Veterans Memorial Park will take us to Julia Davis, with it being 3 miles on the nose to the Bandshell. That would allow us to just loop back to Veterans park and not worry about staging a vehicle further out, and those wanting to only do a 3 could stage a vehicle at Julia Davis park.

I don't really have any preference as far as where we go, but I am definitely interested to meet up with other people to do these hikes and get a Battle Buddies group going for the Treasure Valley. My only problem is until June I am working nights which means that if its a work day, I am usually sleeping during the day, and couldn't show up later in the night which will make attending weekday hikes hard for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will be getting off work on Saturday at 6am, but unless you Treasure Valley guys chime in and have a time/location that works better for you, how about 11AM on Saturday morning starting at Veterans Memorial Park for a hike? If anyone wants to go and attend with the purpose of starting qualifications per American Battle Buddies/ American Pioneers Corps Guidelines we can decide before we leave if we want to do a 3 mile hike or the full 6. 3 miles from Veterans Memorial Park will take us to Julia Davis, with it being 3 miles on the nose to the Bandshell. That would allow us to just loop back to Veterans park and not worry about staging a vehicle further out, and those wanting to only do a 3 could stage a vehicle at Julia Davis park.

I don't really have any preference as far as where we go, but I am definitely interested to meet up with other people to do these hikes and get a Battle Buddies group going for the Treasure Valley. My only problem is until June I am working nights which means that if its a work day, I am usually sleeping during the day, and couldn't show up later in the night which will make attending weekday hikes hard for me.
View Quote
This battle buddies group looks pretty neat. But here's my question, is it really a hike if it's in the middle of downtown?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I figured its a fairly central area with easy access and parking and should be easy enough for anyone that wants to start should be able to do it without having large elevation changes or difficult terrain. I would rather do it on trails in the foothills or elsewhere, but it looks like a lot of them are closed after about 10am due to muddy conditions.

I am open to any and all suggestions for location however.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I figured its a fairly central area with easy access and parking and should be easy enough for anyone that wants to start should be able to do it without having large elevation changes or difficult terrain. I would rather do it on trails in the foothills or elsewhere, but it looks like a lot of them are closed after about 10am due to muddy conditions.

I am open to any and all suggestions for location however.
View Quote
Ah ok I get what you mean. So are you planning on bringing a 45lb pack?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
That was my intention. I'm in the process of trying to get my wife onboard but I highly doubt she will carry anything if she goes. I'll be bringing my pistol in a HPG kitbag, but leaving the long gun home for this one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That was my intention. I'm in the process of trying to get my wife onboard but I highly doubt she will carry anything if she goes. I'll be bringing my pistol in a HPG kitbag, but leaving the long gun home for this one.
View Quote
Anyone else planning on doing this?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm down but the time doesn't work. I'm a heathen so Sundays work best. I could do Saturdays earlier or with advance notice could accommodate this time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I need to get in better shape, so I am down schedule permitting.  This weekend doesn't work though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:53:11 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread is of interest to me, are you guys willing to pack my fat ass out if I struggle?

Cda area, I have let myself get too far outta shape and it's killing me.  This sounds fun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
@nirvana

We have our own thread going for the panhandle: North Idaho BB.

We're probably getting something together next weekend, if not midweek (or, get both).
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

About 17 acres. House, barn and a few outbuildings. He’s asking way too much.
View Quote
Could you PM me the info? We're actively looking in the PR area now and just sold our house in Washington so we're cash buyers, but of course like everyone else we have a budget.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Went yesterday with Lungbuster. Had a total blast tearing up the landscape in his Razor. Didn't see too many whistle pigs but came across Rock Chucks which was even better!

Now I want a Ruger mark IV 22/45!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in Spirit Lake and would love to get in on this. Obviously, the virus is knee capping some of the social stuff but I need to get off my ass.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#20]
When you guys go on these hikes, are you ever worried about rattlesnakes? Specifically in the eastern area of Idaho? I plan on moving to Idaho Falls area and will want to do some hiking but the whole snake thing kinda concerns me haha.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By UncleD:
When you guys go on these hikes, are you ever worried about rattlesnakes? Specifically in the eastern area of Idaho? I plan on moving to Idaho Falls area and will want to do some hiking but the whole snake thing kinda concerns me haha.
View Quote

I’m not sure about the difference in their dispersion between east and west, but I’ve yet to see one. Also, we tend to stay on-trail rather then bushwhack unless it’s at higher altitudes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#22]
In my time south of kuna, I have run into one. A singular one. Its something to be mindful of, but seemed like mid day unless you walked through a bush where they were hiding in the shade they weren't too bothersome. I did see another snake, i think a bull snake, once in some rocks next to where my wife had posted up on a rocky outcrop.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I have spent a good bit of time on trail and off trail.  I have found a whole lot of people reporting gopher snakes as rattle snakes than anything else.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd be up for a meet up ruck in the CdA area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 0351:
I'd be up for a meet up ruck in the CdA area.
View Quote

We actually have our own thread going: North Idaho BB

It seems we're a bunch of recluses, though - hoping we get another hike going soon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top