Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2020 7:32:50 PM EDT
South of Waco? How deep & how much cover.
This would not be under house
Would be storing home canned goods, taters, fresh eggs & whatever else
Will survive
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
East or west of 35?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Ground is pretty hard and rocky here -- I've live north and south of Austin and no one around here has cellars or basements.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
30 miles east near state park: just wondering what
Kind of temps to expect- got a book on building them, just wondering
About others results
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You might get lucky and be able to dig 8ft. It just depends on your location. My parents house is closer to Dallas and my Dad wanted a concrete storm shelter.

He used his backhoe and hit rock at 3ft. The storm shelter installer had a bigger backhoe and got him down another foot.

So the shelter is 6” concrete, half in/half out of the ground and has dirt mounded around it and partially covers the top. Stay pretty cool in the summer. My Dad loves to go down there and take naps during storms.

I actually have a small basement in a small commercial building in Dallas built in the 1920’s. Temps stay nice down there too, but all my employees say it’s haunted
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
In the caves in the hill country, you have to go down about 20’ before it starts to cool off. If you are on lime stone, good luck.  If you are on river bottom east of IH-35 you will hit rock hard clay.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe if you get lucky & find a cave entrance on your property.

It's hell on wheels everytime so much as a swimming pool is trenched in the north Austin area up on the cap rock; they have like 18" of soil there before solid limestone as far down as you can drill.  It's why the whole region is dotted with limestone quarries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top