Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2018 6:16:23 AM EDT
Heading there for a class in the second week of January.

Tell me what I should know.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you are looking for. Rolla is close to the National forest that has numerous hiking trails. Food: for Chinese, I would go to the Lucky House on Kingshighway, Alex's Pizza downtown is good and close to the University. Colton's has been good since they got new owners. For Rolla upper-tier food Matt's steakhouse between Rolla and St. James is hard to beat for steak but all their food is very good. Sybil's in St. James, and Salt Water downtown on Pine St. is good. Salt Water is only open for lunch on Wednesday. There is also a bar on Pine that has exceptional bar food, Sydney's, I think. Penelope's is good for breakfast but nothing else. For heaven's sake stay away from Burger King and KFC. The other fast foods are ok. Lee's chicken is good.

Well, that turned into a food tour of Rolla. PM me if you have questions.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure what you are looking for. Rolla is close to the National forest that has numerous hiking trails. Food: for Chinese, I would go to the Lucky House on Kingshighway, Alex's Pizza downtown is good and close to the University. Colton's has been good since they got new owners. For Rolla upper-tier food Matt's steakhouse between Rolla and St. James is hard to beat for steak but all their food is very good. Sybil's in St. James, and Salt Water downtown on Pine St. is good. Salt Water is only open for lunch on Wednesday. There is also a bar on Pine that has exceptional bar food, Sydney's, I think. Penelope's is good for breakfast but nothing else. For heaven's sake stay away from Burger King and KFC. The other fast foods are ok. Lee's chicken is good.

Well, that turned into a food tour of Rolla. PM me if you have questions.
View Quote
Thanks, just the kind of info I'm looking for.  Any good night life or local attractions?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Alex's and Matt's both suck
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not really.  Matt's is quite excellent but pricey.  Alex's has good pizza and one of the few places that has a gluten free crust.

On another note, if you're bringing freedom pill flingers, you can shoot down in the national forest.  There's a range about 12 miles south of town off 63 highway about 1.5 miles south of the Piney bridge.  Make a left on 6020 and then go past the residence on the right and turn right at the next gravel road.  Follow it down until you find the shooting areas.  There are three places to shoot and you'll see them.

If you want funshops, there's PCA guns on the north side of Bishop/63 hwy kind of by Dominos, Academy and if you go out east on 10th St/BB hwy about 8 miles or so, you'll come to Smokey Acres Trading Company.  Small shop but Ralphi's a good guy.  He's only open W-Saturday though.  W-F 1500-2000 and Saturday 0900-1500.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not really.  Matt's is quite excellent but pricey.  Alex's has good pizza and one of the few places that has a gluten free crust.

On another note, if you're bringing freedom pill flingers, you can shoot down in the national forest.  There's a range about 12 miles south of town off 63 highway about 1.5 miles south of the Piney bridge.  Make a left on 6020 and then go past the residence on the right and turn right at the next gravel road.  Follow it down until you find the shooting areas.  There are three places to shoot and you'll see them.

If you want funshops, there's PCA guns on the north side of Bishop/63 hwy kind of by Dominos, Academy and if you go out east on 10th St/BB hwy about 8 miles or so, you'll come to Smokey Acres Trading Company.  Small shop but Ralphi's a good guy.  He's only open W-Saturday though.  W-F 1500-2000 and Saturday 0900-1500.
View Quote
Yeah, only there for a couple of days so I'm flying with carry-on only.

Any recommendations on BBQ joints and honky tonks?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Night life in rolla.  

It’s a small town in middle of podunk with engineering school.   There is a term Rolla 7 for a reason.    The ratio of available men to women in town is not favorable to men.

But you can drink a lot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Night life in rolla.  

It’s a small town in middle of podunk with engineering school.   There is a term Rolla 7 for a reason.    The ratio of available men to women in town is not favorable to men.

But you can drink a lot.
View Quote
That's the impression I'm getting.

I'm not looking to get laid, just have some place to hang out in the evenings other than my hotel room.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The public house brewing company on Rolla street seems popular. Also, I had lunch a few times at Sydney's on Pine street and it kind of reminds me of a small town cheers. The bartender seems to know everyone's first name. No personal experience with either in regards to nightlife.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
About 23 miles t the southwest is fort lost in the woods with an assortment of oriental and german food, the obligatory strip clubs,.  And a tourist trap, the Uranus Fudge Factory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
About 23 miles t the southwest is fort lost in the woods with an assortment of oriental and german food, the obligatory strip clubs,.  And a tourist trap, the Uranus Fudge Factory.
View Quote
Last I knew the strip clubs there are gone
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks, just the kind of info I'm looking for.  Any good night life or local attractions?
View Quote
Night life?

Tater Patch is decent, as is Locker Room. Other than that, when we lived there my fiancee and I mainly stayed in, alone or with friends, shot a ridiculous amount of 12ga and cast bullets, bummed around the woods, and explored old mines. You make your own fun in Rolla.

For food, I'll second Alex's and Colton's.

Pawn Center on 72 is great for used guns. Could always buy something up there and ship it to your home address, might be cheaper than Gunbroker. Bow & Barrel in St. Robert is an indoor range with some rental guns.

If we still lived there, I'd invite you to come shooting on USFS land.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, only there for a couple of days so I'm flying with carry-on only.

Any recommendations on BBQ joints and honky tonks?
View Quote
For BBQ, I'd recommend Missouri Hick BBQ over in Cuba.  It's about 20 minutes up I44 towards STL.

Honky Tonks?  Couldn't tell you.  I'm married with three kids so I don't get out much.

Watcha coming to Rolla for anyway if you're only going to be here a couple days?  Are you part of the conferences/meetings on campus or something?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For BBQ, I'd recommend Missouri Hick BBQ over in Cuba.  It's about 20 minutes up I44 towards STL.

Honky Tonks?  Couldn't tell you.  I'm married with three kids so I don't get out much.

Watcha coming to Rolla for anyway if you're only going to be here a couple days?  Are you part of the conferences/meetings on campus or something?
View Quote
Sweetwater in St Robert makes Missouri Hick BBQ their bitch
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Blaster's refresher training, something I have to do every three years to keep my license.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Blaster's refresher training, something I have to do every three years to keep my license.
View Quote
Ah, got it.  Boom stuff.  Cool!

Sweetwater BBQ over in St. Robert was mentioned but I didn't care for it as much as I do Missouri Hick.  It's alright but I prefer the Hick.  Same driving time whichever way you go and both are on old Route 66.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#16]
For bbq Mo hick in cuba or sweetwater in st Robert. Mo pizza in st james is good for pizza wings and beer. If you want a bar with good wings,pizza and pool, east office in cuba. Someone mentioned stripers in ft leanordwood,they are gone. Someone mentioned smokey acres, I was there last night. Ralph is a great guy but right now the shelves are about bare. I was there for a transfer but not worth driving out there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#17]
If you make it to Cuba hit me up. Haven’t seen an arfcommer in a while.

Rolla food and night life.

Tater Patch is your typical bar with above average food. Used to have the best prime rib in the area on Saturday nights. Usually a decent mid-Mo crowd on the weekends. Pool, dancing etc.

Alex’s Pizza is better than average pizza, their meat lovers equivalent is awesome.

Public House is described to me as better than Applebee’s with craft beer selections. Bar fare for food, burgers and such.

Sydneys has a rather cheap steak on Fridays, usually have to call for reservations so I haven’t had it, but it’s popular.

Locker Room is typical sports bar.

Plenty of Chinese. I prefer the dirty old Lucky House for carryout.

Los Cazadores by the old Howard Johnson is my favorite Mexican place.

If you like Arby’s I can vouch for the cleanliness there. I know the GM and he would never run a dirty restaurant.

In St James:

Missouri Pizza Co is good. Down by the tracks.

Sybil’s and Matt’s are pricey upper tier places. You’ll be under dressed.

Cuba/Steelville:

Mo Hick is decent BBQ in Cuba

Friscos In Cuba has great food and a good drink selection. Their wings are the bomb.

Riches Burgers in Steelville is good. Have the potential to be the best burgers in a couple county radius, a bit inconsistent which is why I say potential.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Say hi to Paul Worsey from ARFCOM (small world)

Sweetwater it the tits.  Meramac Springs State park is nice if you want to go somewhere n walk.  Youre hitting Missouri in the ugly season though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Say hi to Paul Worsey from ARFCOM (small world)

Sweetwater it the tits.  Meramac Springs State park is nice if you want to go somewhere n walk.  Youre hitting Missouri in the ugly season though.
View Quote
I'll be easy to recognize.  I'll be the guy with the tan wearing the eskimo parka and snowboots.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, you're there for the same type of stuff I was! Tell Worsey (and Jimmy and DeWayne, presuming the training is being held at the mine) hello.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#21]
They have a jack in the box, and some rock quarry swimming hole with dyed blue water.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They have a jack in the box, and some rock quarry swimming hole with dyed blue water.
View Quote
It's not dyed, stagnant water in limestone naturally takes on that color. Our tailings/fines pond is blue and I can promise you that we do not dye it
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh, you're there for the same type of stuff I was! Tell Worsey (and Jimmy and DeWayne, presuming the training is being held at the mine) hello.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've already been emailing back and forth to Dr. Worsey, seems like a nice guy.  Since it is a refresher class for me, I'm only there the last day of the three day course.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not dyed, stagnant water in limestone naturally takes on that color. Our tailings/fines pond is blue and I can promise you that we do not dye it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the website...

https://www.fugitive-beach.com/about-us

About Us

Welcome to the Fugitive Beach!  We are a family friendly beach located in Rolla, MO that...….

When you first arrive at the beach, you will notice our beautiful blue water.  We add pond dye to the quarry water to add to the beach like atmosphere.  Keep in mind, our water is not clear like a pool.   We are a natural environment with floating sediment that can potentially 'cloud' the water.   To ensure that we are operating a safe environment for swimmers, we have the water tested twice per month during our season by an engineering firm.  Happy swimming everyone!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I always had a female friend the entire time I lived there, and could have had more.  My wife is a graduate of UMR, too.

It's too bad one of the best bbq places on the planet closed, it was located on 72 just three blocks or so east of H. 63.  The last time I was there the son in law or similar had bought the restaurant and run it down so badly the original owners that built it up from a closed A&W took it back over.  But they wanted to retire.

Alex's is an institution.  Bandana's out on the south service road wouldn't be the worst bbq you've had and it's a lot closer than St. Robert or Cuba.
View Quote
By the time I got to Rolla, 2003-2009, Johnny Smokestacks was awful. Went there twice and didn’t like it either time.

There’s a BBQ place out on E which is out past Troop I HQ, or at least there used to be. We had a HTF get together there once.

Used to be really good. Wasn’t a huge fan the last time we went.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Johnnies smokestack=burnt ends. My parents took me there plenty in the late 80s. The gypsy queen is buried in the cemetery across the street.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#30]
What's the gypsy queen?

The one in the old Howard Johnson's is Los Cazedores and it's a messican place.  My wife says it's the best one in town.  I don't care for messican food that much but I prefer their food over the others in town.  I like the chips and salsa best at Los Arcos though.

The BBQ place out on E hwy is Randy's Roadkill.  He's not open much at all so we haven't been out there in a long time.  Food was good when we went.  I was there at the MO Hometown meet along with 4-5 other guys.  Good time.

Johnnies Smokestack was pretty gross in their final years after the kids started running it.  We used to go there from time to time but after the kids took over, we ate there maybe twice and then didn't go back.  It wasn't worth it.  Too bad too because it was a pretty good place to eat.

There's Dickies BBQ on Kings Highway too.  It's not bad.

Oh yeah, there's Chick Fil A at the Havener Center at S&T.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]
There is a woman buried in the cemetery next to JS that was considered the queen to gypsies. I think she was buried in the 60s. They still decorate it on Memorial Day. A bit off topic from the food thread.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll agree that Los Cazadores, Lucky (Rucky, lol) House, and Alex's are all really good.  Kyoto is excellent if you like Japanese food.  Slice of Pie has awesome pie too.

Several of my friends like Public House, but I haven't been there myself.  I graduated UMR in 2007 I haven't been down there much in the past few years.  I think the bars that I liked (The Grotto and the Locker Room) have shut down.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Groto is gone but the Locker Room is still open if the one you're thinking of is on Rolla Street.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#34]
The Public House is worth the visit. It’s a fine place to live but nothing special to visit. I often wonder what all the foreign students think when they show up
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Public House is worth the visit. It’s a fine place to live but nothing special to visit. I often wonder what all the foreign students think when they show up
View Quote
After over 30 years in Hawaii, I am dang near qualified to be a foreign student.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#36]
All I have for you is that if you want a good haircut and shave there is a great barber shop (I think on Pine St.) run by a father and son.

It's been a few years since I've been but they were always good, hot shave, straight razor, etc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rolla Rare Coins still open on Pine? Pryor's Fresh Pizza used to pretty damn good, too. I loved their salads served in butter tubs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Rolla Rare Coins guy retired some guy had one open on pine but I think he may have closed. A ton of people like Pryor's and they all have different hygiene standards than me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Rolla Rare Coins guy retired some guy had one open on pine but I think he may have closed. A ton of people like Pryor's and they all have different hygiene standards than me.
View Quote
Not sure if this a warning or a recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#40]
No, Rolla Rare Coin is closed.  Probably been closed a year or more.  They still have a store open in Owensville.

I don't care of Pryors Pizza.  I think we ate there once and never went back. We prefer Alex's Pizza.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  Wrapping up my trip here tomorrow and the suggestions came in handy.  Tater patch is within easy staggering distance from my hotel so eating there tonite after enjoying their catfish basket last night.

The S&T experimental mine is outstanding and Paul is quite a character.  I enjoyed this refresher training much more than other courses I've taken.

Now to get out of here before the snow blows in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Good luck tommrow.  You should be good getting out of town before the snow gets in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
NO!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!
Open mic night at the Tater Patch was fun
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Groto is gone but the Locker Room is still open if the one you're thinking of is on Rolla Street.
View Quote
I remember the Groto.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No, Rolla Rare Coin is closed.  Probably been closed a year or more.  They still have a store open in Owensville.

I don't care of Pryors Pizza.  I think we ate there once and never went back. We prefer Alex's Pizza.
View Quote
Sorry to hear about the downfall of Pryor's. In the early 90s you would see a lot full of RPD/MSHP/PCSD cars parked outside for lunch. It was pretty good. Of course back then the cook's old man was up in Jeff City locked up for trying to blow up PJ Merten's patrol car and she knew better than to dick with us.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about the downfall of Pryor's. In the early 90s you would see a lot full of RPD/MSHP/PCSD cars parked outside for lunch. It was pretty good. Of course back then the cook's old man was up in Jeff City locked up for trying to blow up PJ Merten's patrol car and she knew better than to dick with us.
View Quote
Still see LEO's eating there quite often. We just never cared for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top