Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2021 4:42:48 PM EDT
So Christmas Eve my son's 1997 (2.3L) Ranger broke its timing belt while he was driving.

We got it home and opened up and a new belt on it but I can not seem to get the timing right to save my life. It will crank but never fire. Sometimes It will pop once before just making cranking sounds.

I am 90% sure it is something I am missing with my 0 experience doing timing belts lol.

Looking for either a mobile mech recommendation or some one with some experience to help me get his heap out of my garage so i can put mine back in lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know if that engine is prone to bending the valves when the timing belt breaks? Some engines you can get buy just replacing the belt. Others it’s a good possibility you have bent valves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Non Interference engine so valves should be good.

One of the reasons I decided to see if I could DIY.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
How soon do you need it done? While not technically a mechanic, much less a mobile one, I do have some experience with the Lima 2.3. I'm in Garland but travel thru the north side of Rockwall daily but not sure when I would be able to swing by to help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not time critical. He is driving my backup jeep while I try and figure this out. I am free anytime this week except Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top