Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 11:04:31 AM EDT
Since the center is closed to visitors is there a good publicly available spot to observe the rocket launch this week?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends if you want to camp over night. It depends how much parking spaces are left in the morning of the launch.

The best areas would be from the Cape Canaveral to Cocoa Beach.  Then again you got some places on US1 to go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends if you want to camp over night. It depends how much parking spaces are left in the morning of the launch.

The best areas would be from the Cape Canaveral to Cocoa Beach.  Then again you got some places on US1 to go.
View Quote

No really dont want to camp. We've got a hotel room but doubt the launch is viable from there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably get postponed due to bad weather.  Suppose to be crappy all week
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to Titusville for the Falcon heavy night launch several months ago.  You can get a great view of the launch on US 1 by the MacDonalds there.  That will put you directly across the bay from the launch site.  However, it's about 8-9 miles away. Since this is just a standard Falcon 9, and it's a daytime launch, you may be underwhelmed unless much closer.  NASA causeway would be great but I don't know if viewing is allowed from there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Traffic is going to be bad. I have a spot in cocoa beach south of minuteman between 8th street and 18th street. Public beach access with parking and a quick getaway before the traffic backs up to Pineda causeway.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I use to go to the bridge at Haulover canal and watch (and feel) shuttle launches.

Lots of photo dogs and kayakers go there, too, so it gets crowded.

You're about -+12 miles away from the launch site.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm driving down right now.  If any arfcommers are there, please update the thread with what the roads are looking like where you are and the possibility of parking, etc.

The last launch I actually drove down for was like a decade or more ago and at night, so I don't remember much about access, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
it scrubbed due to weather.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it scrubbed due to weather.

Dan
View Quote

Yeah I figured it would be.  I had other business in Cocoa, so it wasn't a complete loss
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Q for the locals?  

Will it be more crowded due to the rescheduled launch on a Saturday?  I was thinking about heading over from Tampa.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Drove all the way from St. Pete. Spent an aggregate total of 10 hours in traffic. Run to the beach during the countdown. Hear cheering and heard it, but didn't see shit. I realized after the fact that the "live" streamed launch likely had a few second digital delay and by the time the countdown got to 0 and the sound reached me that she was already long gone. I experienced a few minutes of sour grapes towards "rocket foamers" and decided that I would only fly to see launches again, and if I wanted to see one, would get a room close by and not deal with traffic again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I literally did what you guys told me.

Drove over before noon, parked at Ron Jon. The waves were nuts yesterday.

Spent a couple hours on beach playing in the waves and body surfing with my boys.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

From Coconuts on the Beach, we saw AF1 take off when Trump was ready to go home.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top